The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Broncos' McDaniels can kiss job goodbye with Tebow pick

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...ith-tebow-pick

Broncos' McDaniels can kiss job goodbye with Tebow pick
April 22, 2010
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Tell Pete your opinion!

Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels should enjoy the next year or two in Denver. Really. Soak all of it in. Enjoy being a head coach. Enjoy making all the decisions.

Your days are numbered.

When you trade away Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler, the key components in the Broncos passing game in a year span, and then draft Tim Tebow in the first round of the draft, you are sending a loud message.

Talent doesn't matter.

Character does.

Why not pick the altar boys from the parish down the street? Aren't they good kids? Or maybe you can pick all the "A" students in this draft?

It doesn't matter if they can play. Just make sure they are good "yes men."

It just doesn't make any sense.

I understand a coach wanting to have good character guys, but this is going past that.

Tebow is a fifth-round talent.

First round?

Nobody in their right mind would ever say that Tebow plays the position better than Cutler. But Cutler was shipped out for being a bad boy.

Now they have Saint Timmy to fix things.

Here's a bet: He doesn't even beat out Brady Quinn.

He makes Quinn and Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton, the other quarterback, look like John Elway.

Tebow is raw. He doesn't understand the passing game. He doesn't read defenses.

Oh, but he's a good kid.

At least he'll save the locker room.

Really? If you aren't playing, character doesn't matter. The NFL is a cruel business. His rah-rah crap doesn't matter. They won't listen. They won't stand for it.

Crying after losses?

Yeah, right.

Does he work hard? Yes. Does he want to be good? Yes.

But the skills aren't there. He isn't close to being as good as Jimmy Clausen. Too bad for Jimmy he doesn't have the character Tebow has, at least that's what they say.

The Broncos reached big time for Tebow. But look at the bright side: At least he won't be running the streets.

He also won't be starting anytime soon -- if ever.

And Josh McDaniels will lose his job in a year or two over this one and his other moves over the past year.

For more from Pete Prisco, check him out on Twitter: @PriscoCBS

Damn tell us how you really feel
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

It's been posted already.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Very professional article there, Prisco. umadbro?
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
It's been posted already.
Sorry didn't see it
Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I dont understand the hate for the move... We got an offensive weapon on a team that desperately neeeds the help everywhere
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Sorry didn't see it
Dude, it's cool, this place has been nuts since our first trade back yesterday!
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

Awww. Prisco thought Tebow was going to slide and no one liked him. Turns out a bunch of teams thought he was the #2 QB in the draft and Prisco looks like a fool.

Sounds like Kiper. Pissy because their little fantasies of what should've happened where refuted by the experts.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
ChSuperStar
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
I dont understand the hate for the move... We got an offensive weapon on a team that desperately neeeds the help everywhere
we need a weapon, i would have been okay if he was taken with 43rd or 45th. not giving up 43, 70 and 114 or 112 what ever.

And also there was no need to jump 2 spots for thomas and giving up 4th rounder in the process.

Looking at the last draft and part of this, i think this front office does some good moves and follows up with some bad ones because they have very few players whom they have on there board and reach up to get them.

I liked josh mcD and his enthusiasm, but this move was worst. Now i want him to win now.. or get lost from here
ChSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Mike Florio, whom I generally think is a douche, makes a strong point in his PFTDaily video segment. He suggests that McDaniels bought himself job security with Tebow. There's no way the Broncos can fire McDaniels in the next couple of years without letting him develop Tebow.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Mike Florio, whom I generally think is a douche, makes a strong point in his PFTDaily video segment. He suggests that McDaniels bought himself job security with Tebow. There's no way the Broncos can fire McDaniels in the next couple of years without letting him develop Tebow.
yep..that's what i thought. He made sure Bowlen can't fire him in another 3 years.
First year tebow will sit, 2nd year..people will say it is his first year as QB.
3rd year..tebow and Mcd will be evaluated..
Look for Mcd to draft for a QB again that year.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Why does everyone assume McDaniels is going to be fired?

He went 8-8 last year as a first year, 33 year old head coach in the NFL. This is against one of the toughest schedules in the NFL. Also consider that he had Kyle Orton as his starter, along with Chris Simms for 1 game, a rookie RB, and a defense full of mostly journeymen on the line.

I would say his career is not tied to Tebow at all. It doesn't make sense. This guy could win with Kyle Orton, or Brady Quinn, and be just fine if Tebow doesn't pan out.

Many of you are forgetting who the owner of this team is. It's not Dan Snyder for chrissakes. Bowlen really likes McD and will give him more time than usual (by NFL standards) to get his thing done.

It's just funny that the way people talk about McD, you'd think he went 2-14 last year.

Last edited by Steve Sewell; 04-23-2010 at 08:22 AM..
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This article is hilarious... If anything, it shows the job security McD has. You don't draft Tim Tebow in the first unless you are real comfortable with your position.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sewell View Post

He went 8-8 last year as a first year, 33 year old head coach in the NFL. This is against one of the toughest schedules in the NFL. Also consider that he had Kyle Orton as his starter, along with Chris Simms for 1 game, a rookie RB, and a defense full of mostly journeymen on the line.

I would say his career is not tied to Tebow at all. It doesn't make sense. This guy could win with Kyle Orton, or Brady Quinn, and be just fine if Tebow doesn't pan out.

Many of you are forgetting who the owner of this team is. It's not Dan Snyder for chrissakes. Bowlen really likes McD and will give him more time than usual (by NFL standards) to get his thing done.

It's just funny that the way people talk about McD, you'd think he went 2-14 last year.
Made this same point on the earlier thread. It would seem like obvious logic, but everyone gets so caught up in the drama and media frenzy they forget it's just one player in one draft.

Would it help if Tebow is successful and contributes a lot on the field? Of course, that would likely lead to more winning, which is ultimately the only thing that matters. If McD finds ways to win with Orton/Quinn it won't matter a whole lot what Tebow does. Conversely, if Tebow becomes a good NFL QB, but McD can't field a defense worth a **** then he might be out of a job. One controversial draft pick won't save or cost him his job.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Its amazing he gets paid to write that stuff. What a bunch of over-reactionary BS.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

He did go 2-8 down the stretch last year......Just sayin
Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #16
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
He did go 2-8 down the stretch last year......Just sayin
Marshall saved our team last year..

let's see how his players taken in the draft and free agency will perform this year.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

He's a hack. Must be nice to work in a career where if you make a mistake, you just say "whoops". McDaniels works in one of the toughest pressure-cooker careers you can have. People should at least acknowledge that he has the courage to make such bold decisions knowing that you only get a couple of years to see them pan out.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Marshall saved our team last year..
yeah, his effort in the final game was inspiring.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #19
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

Yah, I agree it's nonsense. But, I expected an hysterical reaction from some quarters no matter what the Broncs did.

If it was Dez Bryant, Pouncey, Iupati, Odrick, Graham, Williams, Haden, Thomas, Bulaga, there would have been an hysterical reaction from a few.

No big deal, I'll wait to see how it pans out.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote