The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #76
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
The Associated Press reports Jacksonville Jaguars WR Matt Jones fired back at Miami Dolphins LB Joey Porter Thursday, Nov. 6. Porter said Wednesday, Nov. 5, he didn't know how Jones could be caught with cocaine and still playing. Jones said, "I don't even know why he's even thinking about me. I mean, maybe he likes other men and sits up and thinks about stuff, so I don't know. ... Is Joey Porter the commissioner? Then why would I even worry about it?"
ha ha...
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #77
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

WITH JACKSON OUT, DARBY TO START FOR RAMS

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 8, 2008, 10:06 p.m. EST

Rams running back Steven Jackson is out for Sunday’s game against the Jets with a thigh injury, and Jackson’s two backups, Antonio Pittman and Travis Minor, are both injured, too.

So the Rams will turn to a player with all of two career carries to take Jackson’s place.

That player, Kenneth Darby, has been with the Rams for less than a month, having been signed off the Falcons’ practice squad on October 14.

“It’s a blessing,” Darby said. “This is an opportunity I’ve been waiting on, and I’m just going to take full advantage of it and do my best.”

Darby, who played his college ball at Alabama, played one game for the Buccaneers last year and had two carries for nine yards. The rest of his NFL career consists of two games and no touches this season with the Rams.

Minor is out with a concussion. Pittman might play sparingly with a hamstring injury. The Rams also expect to give some carries to Samkon Gado, who signed with St. Louis on Tuesday.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #78
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

With his 192 yard rushing effort against Green Bay, Adrian Peterson is the first back over 1,000 yards on the season....he has 1,015 yards on the year.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 11-09-2008 at 08:24 PM..
Old 11-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #79
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

G.M. MULLIGAN RULE COULD BE TESTED IN CLEVELAND

Posted by Mike Florio on November 9, 2008, 5:12 p.m.

It’s becoming almost a foregone conclusion that the Browns will part ways with coach Romeo Crennel, barring a dramatic turnaround by the 3-6 team.

But anything less than a playoff berth likely won’t be good enough to earn a fifth season on the job for Crennel, and even running the table might not get the Browns to January.

The bigger question, as we see it, is whether G.M. Phil Savage will get a chance to hire another head coach, or whether his accountability will include making the call on hiring Crennel.

Working against Savage, in our view, should be the manner in which he bungled the quarterback position after the 2007 season. As pointed out in our current item for SportingNews.com, Savage should have known that Derek Anderson’s unexpectedly strong performance for most of last season resulted from the absence of any pressure whatsoever to retain the job. No one expected Anderson to do anything other than hold a spot until Brady Quinn was ready; as a result, Anderson was able to play unburdened by the worries inherent to having something to lose.

Thus, Savage should have gotten what he could for Anderson in the offseason, and the Browns should have handed the job to Quinn.

Still, in most NFL cities the conventional approach is that the G.M. gets to hire two head coaches (or, in Detroit, three) before the G.M. assumes a spot on the hot seat. But Cleveland isn’t most cities, and with teams like the Dolphins and Falcons proving that the best way to improve a team is to work from the top down, owner Randy Lerner might decide to start from scratch, contract extension notwithstanding.

Especially if those former Browns players who have way too much influence over the operation of the team want to see both a new head coach and a new General Manager.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #80
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

ATLANTA -- New Orleans cornerback Mike McKenzie suffered a fractured right kneecap on Sunday, forcing him to contemplate another long rehabilitation less than one year after having reconstructive surgery on the same knee.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #81
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
G.M. MULLIGAN RULE COULD BE TESTED IN CLEVELAND

Posted by Mike Florio on November 9, 2008, 5:12 p.m.

Itís becoming almost a foregone conclusion that the Browns will part ways with coach Romeo Crennel, barring a dramatic turnaround by the 3-6 team.

But anything less than a playoff berth likely wonít be good enough to earn a fifth season on the job for Crennel, and even running the table might not get the Browns to January.

The bigger question, as we see it, is whether G.M. Phil Savage will get a chance to hire another head coach, or whether his accountability will include making the call on hiring Crennel.

Working against Savage, in our view, should be the manner in which he bungled the quarterback position after the 2007 season. As pointed out in our current item for SportingNews.com, Savage should have known that Derek Andersonís unexpectedly strong performance for most of last season resulted from the absence of any pressure whatsoever to retain the job. No one expected Anderson to do anything other than hold a spot until Brady Quinn was ready; as a result, Anderson was able to play unburdened by the worries inherent to having something to lose.

Thus, Savage should have gotten what he could for Anderson in the offseason, and the Browns should have handed the job to Quinn.

Still, in most NFL cities the conventional approach is that the G.M. gets to hire two head coaches (or, in Detroit, three) before the G.M. assumes a spot on the hot seat. But Cleveland isnít most cities, and with teams like the Dolphins and Falcons proving that the best way to improve a team is to work from the top down, owner Randy Lerner might decide to start from scratch, contract extension notwithstanding.

Especially if those former Browns players who have way too much influence over the operation of the team want to see both a new head coach and a new General Manager.
I'd give Savage another shot. Cleveland does have talent, they just need to put it all together and Brady Quinn may be the key to turning the franchise around. I don't think it's Savage who makes the decision as to which QB to start, that should be Crennell's job.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #82
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'd give Savage another shot. Cleveland does have talent, they just need to put it all together and Brady Quinn may be the key to turning the franchise around. I don't think it's Savage who makes the decision as to which QB to start, that should be Crennell's job.
I agree....they would be dumb to get rid of Savage this quickly.

However....if the Browns lured Cowher to be their head coach, he would want considerable power and the final say in all decisions.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #83
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

SHOCKEY IS “HATED” BY SOME SAINTS

Posted by Mike Florio on November 10, 2008, 10:09 a.m.

In the wake of images of Saints quarterback Drew Brees giving the verbal business to tight end Jeremy Shockey during Sunday’s season-killing loss to the Falcons, we’re hearing that multiple players and coaches have privately been making it known that Shockey is not Mr. Popularity in the locker room.

As one source told us, Shockey already is “hated” by more than a few members of the organization.

The reasons relate to both on-field and off-field conduct. “Things in London, things in practice, things in games,” the source said.

Though we thought this eventually would happen in New Orleans, we didn’t think it would unfold so soon. Instead, we thought that Shockey would be on his best behavior for his first year with the team, in an effort to prove to the folks in New York that he wasn’t a problem.

Our guess is that Shockey might not get a chance to extend his stay in New Orleans by a second season. His salary is due to spike from $1.925 million to $3.025 million next year. Absent a steep reduction in his salary, Shockey might join DeAngelo Hall as players on whom second-round and fifth-round picks were wasted.

Meanwhile, the Giants are soaring at 8-1, and they’ll have a chance to get even better next year with two of the the Saints’ draft picks.

In fact, there’s still a chance that, in the end, the Giants instead will have New Orleans’ first-round pick, which currently is on track to be much higher in the round than anyone expected.

Thanks in no small part to Shockey.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #84
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

PATS LOSE THOMAS WITH BROKEN FOREARM

Posted by Mike Florio on November 10, 2008, 8:21 a.m.

In a season already marred by the Week One loss of quarterback Tom Brady and the subsequent season-ending injuries to players like running back Laurence Maroney and safety Rodney Harrison, the Patriots have lost another starter for the rest of the year.

Linebacker Adalius Thomas suffered a broken forearm on Sunday against the Bills. Per Michael Smith of ESPN.com, Thomas is expected to miss the rest of the year.

Thomas, a free-agent acquisition from the Ravens in 2007, has started every game this season, and is tied for the team lead with five sacks.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #85
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Like always good stuff Junkman
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #86
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

CARSON PALMER OUT AT LEAST ONE MORE WEEK

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 10, 2008, 1:01 p.m. EST

Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said today that he doesn’t expect Carson Palmer to practice this week or play on Sunday.

That means Ryan Fitzpatrick will make his sixth start of the season against the Eagles.

Per Bengals.com, Palmer was scheduled last week to meet with doctors in Los Angeles during the bye week. Palmer has missed most of the season with an injured throwing elbow.

Although the Bengals have avoided saying Palmer is out for the season, it’s hard to see why they would bring him back late in the year to risk further injury after the Bengals have already been eliminated from playoff contention. Whether the Bengals say so or not, with each passing week it looks more like Fitzpatrick is their starter for the rest of 2008.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #87
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

NICK BARNETT DONE FOR SEASON

Posted by Josh Alper on November 10, 2008, 2:29 p.m. EST

The Packers will be without middle linebacker Nick Barnett for the rest of the season. He tore a ligament in his knee during yesterday’s 28-27 loss to the Vikings.

Coach Mike McCarthy confirmed Barnett’s injury during his Monday press conference. Surgery has not yet been scheduled to repair the tear. Barnett leads the team with 49 tackles this season.

Desmond Bishop replaced Barnett after he got hurt in the third quarter, and was partially responsible for a Gus Frerotte to Chester Taylor 47-yard touchdown on his first play. Brandon Chillar is another possible replacement, although he regularly plays outside.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #88
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

TIME TO END THANKSGIVING IN DETROIT TRADITION?

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 10, 2008, 3:40 p.m. EST

One of the NFL’s oldest traditions, dating to 1934, is having the Detroit Lions host a Thanksgiving game.

But the Lions have been the league’s worst team this decade, and that means Americans have been served some bad football alongside their turkey and stuffing.

So some in Detroit wonder whether the city could soon lose its status as one of the annual Thanksgiving hosts. Mike O’Hara of the Detroit News writes that the future of the game in Detroit is one of the major issues facing the Lions.

Lions owner William Clay Ford has long been adamant that the traditional Thanksgiving game must not be taken from his team, and there have even been suggestions that taking the game from Detroit could sour the league’s relationship with the Ford Motor Company, which is a major advertiser during NFL broadcasts.

But the bottom line is that the Lions stink, and having a bad team in one of the marquee games of the season is a bad way to do business. The Lions have failed to sell out their last two home games, making clear that the local fans don’t want to see this team. So why should the rest of the country?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #89
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I think that the Lions should still host a Thanksgiving game every year.

Tradition is tradition.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #90
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

they have a good point but like you said tradition is tradition
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #91
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Old traditions die out and new traditions start every year it seems.....

There are now 3 games on Thanksgiving.
Thursday night games.
Opening weekend is completely different.
The flip flop between no weeks off and one week off between the Championship Games and the SB.

Like the article says....if their games are already getting blacked out locally because the locals don't care to see them, why subject everyone to it?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #92
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

holiday/thursday games suck...the lions should be forced to play more of them
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #93
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

I hate Thanksgiving games, and Thursday games in general.

Only teams coming off byes should have to play Thursday games, as there just isn't enough time to get ready. First we had One thanksgiving game, then two, then three. And Thursday games for the last half of the season.

The preponderance of night games (Sunday night, Monday night, and now Thursday night games ) increases revenue to the league, but makes calling them showcase games rediculous. Add in a saturday night game and we'll have football 4 days a week.

Maybe I'm an old fart....but I don't like the changes....
Unless the Broncos are playing I never watch them anymore.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #94
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
holiday/thursday games suck...the lions should be forced to play more of them
Exactly....

The Lions are the perfect Thanksgiving team....you eat a bunch of food and then you don't mind falling asleep in the chair because it's the Lions.

When the Broncos play on the holidays I get all worked up and pissed off. With the Lions, you eat, laugh at them, and fall asleep by the middle of the 3rd quarter.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #95
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

JETS SIGN TY LAW

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 10, 2008, 6:07 p.m.

Just in time for Thursday night’s Jets-Patriots clash, a player familiar to both teams has returned to the NFL.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that free-agent cornerback Ty Law reached agreement on a one-year contract with the Jets today and is expected to play Thursday night against the Patriots.

“This is going to be different playing Thursday night against the Patriots, matching up against my former team and the players I’m used to practicing against,” Law told Schefter. “I know they’re going to throw at me, but I welcome the challenge – bring it. I got the tricks for you.”

Per Schefter, Law will play some cornerback and some safety. Having played for Jets coach Eric Mangini before, it shouldn’t take him long to get acclimated.

Law played for the Patriots from 1995 to 2004. He then spent 2005 with the Jets, and 2006 and 2007 with the Chiefs. Although he started every game from 2005 to 2007, he has been out of the NFL since the end of the 2007 season.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #96
uplink
Ring of Famer

I'm rooting for the cardinals, amazing they have won only two playoff games in their 88 years of existence.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #97
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
I'm rooting for the cardinals, amazing they have won only two playoff games in their 88 years of existence.
Wow....I did not realize that.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #98
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Vernon Davis should tell Singletary and Martz to get off the field after those last few play calls.

I can't believe they ran the ball twice from the 2 at the end of the game.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #99
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Seriously. They were at the 2 with 40 seconds, 1st and goal. That gives them time to call a pass play, and then still have at least 20 seconds left to run three more attempts if they don't score.

Instead, they just let the clock go down to 20 seconds for god knows why. Then they run it. Twice. From the three. They were lucky to get two plays at all. They almost lost the entire clock on the first run. Unbelievable. I'm all for establishing a running attitude, but not when it lowers your odds of winning. Just plain stupid. I would be pissed if I was a 49ers fan right now.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #100
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

That looked like Marty Ball at it's finest.