The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,547

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default House Ravages IRS, Guts $1.1 Billion from Tax Enforcement Budget

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...cement-budget/

Quote:
The House voted Monday to cut more than $1 billion from the IRS’s tax enforcement budget, giving Republicans a big helping of revenge against an agency they’ve battled all year.

Members of the House this week are considering the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2015. The bill being debated on the House floor would already cut IRS funding by $341 million compared to the current fiscal year.

Late Monday, members went further by considering amendments to chop even more from the proposed $10.95 billion IRS budget. And the big cuts were approved easily in voice votes, demonstrating how little appetite there is among Democrats to defend the IRS in the wake of its effort to target conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status.



The biggest reduction came from Rep. Bill Huizenga (R-Mich.), who proposed a whopping $788 million cut from the IRS’s $5 billion tax enforcement budget.

“The IRS has been targeting American taxpayers, as we’ve learned, for their political beliefs for the last four or five years,” Huizenga said. “During this period, a culture of shading the truth was fostered and developed by directors and administrators throughout the IRS.

“Now this culture within the IRS has grown to one of stonewalling, double-talk and mistrust. It’s up to Congress to use the power of the purse… to rein in the IRS and force them to conduct their analysis in an unbiased manner.”

The huge cut was approved in a voice vote.

Moments earlier, the House voice-vote approved another amendment from Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) to eliminate another $353 million from IRS enforcement funds. The House also approved amendments from Reps. Bill Posey (R-Fla.) and Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) to chop another $3 million from the same account.


By the end of the night, the House had cut a total of $1.144 billion from the IRS’s enforcement account, a reduction of more than 20 percent.

The House could be in a position to finish work on the 2015 spending bill on Tuesday. Before finishing, however, it will likely pass one more amendment from Peter Roskam (R-Ill.), which would cut another $10 million from the IRS enforcement budget.

The GOP’s proposed cuts aren’t guaranteed, as the Senate will still have a chance to consider the House-passed spending bill. But the clear House preference for some cuts means the IRS will likely have to live with much less money in 2015 than it had in 2014.

Republicans have crawled all over the IRS in the first half of 2014 in a search for evidence that former IRS employee Lois Lerner and others purposefully subjected conservative groups to extra scrutiny when they sought tax-exempt status.

Earlier this month, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee released an email showing that Lerner was worried about the idea that Congress might seek out various IRS emails. In mid-June, the IRS said a computer crash prevented it from recovering more than two years’ worth of Lerner’s emails.
.

I hear it now: "But, but, but who's going to get even with the rich guy down the street!"
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 36,108

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Most cuts will be restored in conference but the IRS will get some sort of a haircut for this scandal.
__________________


BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,547

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default



Just in case ya'll forgotten about what this is about.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,547

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Most cuts will be restored in conference but the IRS will get some sort of a haircut for this scandal.
I'd like to eliminate the IRS altogether, myself.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:36 AM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,800
Default

So instead of fixing the law that lead to the problem, they act like children and cause the IRS to be more ineffective. But when your goal is to destroy government, then I guess that this is an opportunity that you can not miss.

Nice article on this:

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2014/...e-reading-link
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 733

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
So instead of fixing the law that lead to the problem, they act like children and cause the IRS to be more ineffective. But when your goal is to destroy government, then I guess that this is an opportunity that you can not miss.

Nice article on this:

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2014/...e-reading-link
That's all well and good but since the AG won't allow a special investigator because he claims it is being taken care of by federal agencies but then the IRS themselves admits they haven't been investigated by those federal agencies, how is the GOP supposed to react?

Employees of the IRS have, if not completely, come very close to committing perjury and the same could be said for obstruction of justice. Something has to happen and if they are being completely protected by the Justice Department and the White House then the House has to take the proper legal channels they can.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,990

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

That's what American governance has come down to: Revenge?

Once the radical Right extremists are done destroying our government, the average Tea Party schmuck is going to be surprised when they see what they're left with.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,247

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
I'd like to eliminate the IRS altogether, myself.

This. Corrupt, incompetent, and dictatorial is no way to go through life, IRS.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,242

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
This. Corrupt, incompetent, and dictatorial is no way to go through life, IRS.
Wrong. Roh says that when a government agency is exposed as thoroughly corrupt, the only remedy is more funding.

Free easy money fixes everything.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,990

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Wrong. Roh says that when a government agency is exposed as thoroughly corrupt, the only remedy is more funding.

Free easy money fixes everything.
Is that really what I said? Why does the Right consistently depend on dishonesty?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,242

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Is that really what I said? Why does the Right consistently depend on dishonesty?
You're the one saying a 13% budget cut to a shockingly-corrupt federal agency is tantamount to "destroying our government"
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,547

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You're the one saying a 13% budget cut to a shockingly-corrupt federal agency is tantamount to "destroying our government"
They think ANY cut to ANY government agency is tantamount to destroying government.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,547

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Wrong. Roh says that when a government agency is exposed as thoroughly corrupt, the only remedy is more funding.

Free easy money fixes everything.
Yes! I mean look at the VA. $20 billion extra fixed everything.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #14
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,547

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
That's what American governance has come down to: Revenge?

Once the radical Right extremists are done destroying our government, the average Tea Party schmuck is going to be surprised when they see what they're left with.
Funny you say this now. Consider that this was done to Obama's political opponents.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
ant1999e
Ring of Famer
 
ant1999e's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BFE
Posts: 6,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
They think ANY cut to ANY government agency is tantamount to destroying government.
Except the military.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #16
ant1999e
Ring of Famer
 
ant1999e's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BFE
Posts: 6,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Funny you say this now. Consider that this was done to Obama's political opponents.
Like this

DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...ibrary-parade/
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,990

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You're the one saying a 13% budget cut to a shockingly-corrupt federal agency is tantamount to "destroying our government"
It's cute how you right wingers pretend to not know what the extremist agenda of your revolution is: Defund government services until they begin to fail, attack them once they do as another example of incompetent government, then as a punishment, defund them some more until they collapse and can be "drowned in a bathtub."

Most non-partisan surveys of the failures at the IRS have pointed out that underfunding and understaffing were major causes of the agencies' problems. I see the hacks on this site also conveniently forget that a large number of "lefty" organizations were targeted as well. And now the cure is to underfund some more? Do you think your partisan hacks are fooling anybody? Legitimate, conscientious government would take an entirely different approach, not this partisan hackery. They have no intention of "fixing" the IRS. Let me also point out that the overwhelming benefit of a failing IRS is going to go to global corporations and the very rich.

Next on the agenda, Social Security and the Dept. of Education.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 07-16-2014 at 10:53 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #18
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,038
Default

The IRS has had an exponential INCREASE in funding over the last several decades.

Many more cuts will be necessary across ALL government agencies in order to balance the budget.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,990

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The IRS has had an exponential INCREASE in funding over the last several decades.

Many more cuts will be necessary across ALL government agencies in order to balance the budget.
After all, we have to pay for those 50% tax cuts for corporations and the rich, not to mention a military that is about ten times the size of the rest of the worlds' combined. Hell, we can't fix a highway, but we sure as hell can build more billion dollar fighter jets to ward off the terrorists.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #20
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,242

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
It's cute how you right wingers pretend to not know what the extremist agenda of your revolution is: Defund government services until they begin to fail, attack them once they do as another example of incompetent government, then as a punishment, defund them some more until they collapse and can be "drowned in a bathtub."
Kind of a non-sequitur you've got there. Government fails spectacularly with ever-increasing funding. But any effort to slow the tyrannical gravy train is ex-post-facto to blame.

The reality you just can't get over is that your government is no more intrinsically Just than any massive global corporation.

Just as we need antitrust regulation to constrain them, we need real limitations on expansion of federal power. Every time you argue that every failure of government should be answered with more money and power, you're only amplifying your own disconnect.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #21
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
After all, we have to pay for those 50% tax cuts for corporations and the rich
WTF are you talking about? American taxpayers are paying more now than ever. We're still running Trillion dollar deficits.

Sorry, taxpayers can't physically pay for the unfunded liabilities of Medicare, SS, government pensions, welfare, nor exponential increases to IRS funding. Obviously, you have no clue what a budget is, or how to run a sustainable economy.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #22
Rigs11
Ring of Famer
 
Rigs11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
WTF are you talking about? American taxpayers are paying more now than ever. We're still running Trillion dollar deficits.

Sorry, taxpayers can't physically pay for the unfunded liabilities of Medicare, SS, government pensions, welfare, nor exponential increases to IRS funding. Obviously, you have no clue what a budget is, or how to run a sustainable economy.
what is defense budget compared to those social programs?i'm confused. I thought repubs always state that many don't pay any taxes
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #23
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,242

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
what is defense budget compared to those social programs?i'm confused. I thought repubs always state that many don't pay any taxes


Starting in about 15 years, Medicare/SS DEFICITS ALONE will surpass our entire defense budget.

You could disband the military entirely (no you couldn't) and still not solve the debt crisis these entitlement programs are raising.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,990

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Kind of a non-sequitur you've got there. Government fails spectacularly with ever-increasing funding. But any effort to slow the tyrannical gravy train is ex-post-facto to blame.

The reality you just can't get over is that your government is no more intrinsically Just than any massive global corporation.

Just as we need antitrust regulation to constrain them, we need real limitations on expansion of federal power. Every time you argue that every failure of government should be answered with more money and power, you're only amplifying your own disconnect.
Of course, I didn't say that did I? I'm sure it's a hell of a lot more complex than a sound bite. Good governance is competent people dealing with the problems of the real world. The real complexities. All the little gray areas. Ideology is simply answering every problem with a slogan. "Hell, let's just get rid of the IRS and not pay any taxes, Billy Bob!"

"Heck yea! Sounds good!"

What we need is massive tax reform. A huge house cleaning. Maybe a VAT tax. Ending loopholes. Ending exemptions. Probably a whole package of various solutions. You know what the chances of getting that kind of government are out of the present crowd in DC ? Zero.

Oh, and you want to know the biggest problem with Medicare, Social Security , Medicaid and the Medicare D drug program? Take it from someone who worked in it for years. Fraud. That's right. It's not the big, bad government. It's not lazy welfare queens in Cadillacs. It's doctors, medical centers, senior centers, drug companies, etc etc etc committing rampant fraud on the system. It seems that every time your average American citizen has dealings with the government, he thinks to himself, "Hell, it's just the government. It's the right thing to do to rip off the government." These are the same people who then turn around and scream, "We can't pay for these out of control programs!"
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #25
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

I have a problem with the philosophy of the IRS is, in essence, you are guilty until you can prove they are wrong, which runs contrary to the basic premise in our court systems that we are innocent until proven guilty. We should not live in fear of a government agency.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Denver Broncos