The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default Californian Billionaire's plan to break up California into 6 states.

San Francisco (Reuters) - A long-shot effort to break California into six separate states got a boost on Monday, when the billionaire venture capitalist behind the proposal said he had gathered enough signatures to place it on the ballot in two years.

http://news.yahoo.com/billionaires-b...012144464.html

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Sounds like he has too much time on his hands. He should find a hobby.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

That or Silicon Valley elites are looking for ways to get tax breaks.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

This should have happened 50 years ago at least.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Since only the US Congress can create new states, what the hell does it matter if it it's on some ballot?
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

This has been going on for years. Usually I heard it was going to break up in North and South. I never heard of the Six State Solution before though.

It can never pass a voters referrendum though.

That's Republicans for you though. If you can't win on merit than try to cheat. You never heard Dems wanting to break up Florida or Virginia because they were solid Republican states. Nope, they just try to make policies people will vote for.

When Republicans are losing they don't change their policies they try to change the rules of the game. Outlandish gerrymandered districts, Voter ID, shortening voter days you can vote and shorter hours in which to vote. Amazing there are all these lines in black neighborhoods but none in the white neighborhoods.

Last edited by Guess Who; 07-15-2014 at 07:12 PM..
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Meck77

Maybe Obama will just give California to Mexico and Central America. They can have the whole mess.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
Since only the US Congress can create new states, what the hell does it matter if it it's on some ballot?
Actually, a huge % of assemblymen and women (maybe state senate only are also) have to agree to let part of the state break off. Jefferson has a name because they want to break off and have it planned. Not enough support I am sure and not many Californians live up in that area. As for the split, I have always said you can do it by at least splitting Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino and everything south as "Southern California". You can then take LA and above as their own state. As long as OC is separate from LA and SF. We will take Long Beach too and if South Bay once to be with us, ok by me. We can see first hand how a more conservative approach in the South compared to Central and North liberal way of handling the economy. If the very North and central want to split, they can do it too. Somehow we would all need to be united in particular items for the near future and also we need North's water so there would be that issue.

Makes sports rivals even better.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
This has been going on for years. Usually I heard it was going to break up in North and South. I never heard of the Six State Solution before though.

That's Republicans for you though. If you can't win on merit than try to cheat. You never heard Dems wanting to break up Florida or Virginia because they were solid Republican states. Nope, they just try to make policies people will vote for.

When Republicans are losing they don't change their policies they try to change the rules of the game. Outlandish gerrymandered districts, Voter ID, shortening voter days you can vote and shorter hours in which to vote. Amazing there are all these lines in black neighborhoods but none in the white neighborhoods.
You have no clue what the hell is going on here. We will be bankrupt, count on it. Sacramento now has a majority vote for Liberals. I don't say Democrats, these are hard core liberals. We are going to blow billions on a high speed rail that is well over budget and there have been lies over lies on it. That is just the tip of the iceberg when you add State workers and their unions in tight with the politicians (libs). The state is huge with a massive population. The North is much different than the South. California is a great place to live but when you have a huge illegal alien population and middle class forced out of the state, you have trouble. Look at our rankings for the state in education, taxes, employment and business climate. We are at the bottom. We just lost Toyota in Torrance. They said they would never leave California. They won't be the first of the auto makers. Just like defensive companies that helped give us a state recession in the early 90s, it will happen again.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #10
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Maybe Obama will just give California to Mexico and Central America. They can have the whole mess.
California generates too much money for the Feds to do so.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #11
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
You have no clue what the hell is going on here. We will be bankrupt, count on it. Sacramento now has a majority vote for Liberals. I don't say Democrats, these are hard core liberals. We are going to blow billions on a high speed rail that is well over budget and there have been lies over lies on it. That is just the tip of the iceberg when you add State workers and their unions in tight with the politicians (libs). The state is huge with a massive population. The North is much different than the South. California is a great place to live but when you have a huge illegal alien population and middle class forced out of the state, you have trouble. Look at our rankings for the state in education, taxes, employment and business climate. We are at the bottom. We just lost Toyota in Torrance. They said they would never leave California. They won't be the first of the auto makers. Just like defensive companies that helped give us a state recession in the early 90s, it will happen again.
High speed rail is a wonderful investment. Just ask every modern Western nation that has it.... except for U.S.

There should be a high speed rail up California and from Washington D.C. to N.Y. 200 MPH at the fraction of the cost for an airline ticket.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #12
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
High speed rail is a wonderful investment. Just ask every modern Western nation that has it.... except for U.S.

There should be a high speed rail up California and from Washington D.C. to N.Y. 200 MPH at the fraction of the cost for an airline ticket.
Yeah the difference being that it costs over 50 million per KM in California as compared to less than 20 in the rest of the world. The tickets will not be a fraction of an airline ticket anytime soon.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Yeah the difference being that it costs over 50 million per KM in California as compared to less than 20 in the rest of the world. The tickets will not be a fraction of an airline ticket anytime soon.
Population density in the US is just too much lower.

Look at California. Pretty densely populated by American standards.

But roughly one-third the population density of the UK. Less than half of Germany's. Maintenance of thousands of miles of rail to service far fewer passengers just doesn't work very well.

Turns out maintaining airports and nothing in between is more efficient in many cases.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:

Virginia has never been a clearly republican state or democrat state. In fact it is the birth place of the party that would later become the democrats and republicans.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
True...this is the request part of the process.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
High speed rail is a wonderful investment. Just ask every modern it. Western nation that has it.... except for U.S.

You might want to research this high speed rail by living here and knowing an ounce about it before acting like it is a great investment. Comparing to other nations or East Coast tells me you are clueless. Post below yours knows the main point.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #17
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
You might want to research this high speed rail by living here and knowing an ounce about it before acting like it is a great investment. Comparing to other nations or East Coast tells me you are clueless. Post below yours knows the main point.
Make the investment and it will reduce traffic on the highways, reduce pollution and in 50 years it will still be working: it will still be moving people and it will still be making money.

So it costs a lot, you know it is a sound investment that will eventually pay off financially and immediately pay off in congestion and air pollution. Why think so shortsightedness?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #18
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Not gonna happen.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #19
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Make the investment and it will reduce traffic on the highways, reduce pollution and in 50 years it will still be working: it will still be moving people and it will still be making money.

So it costs a lot, you know it is a sound investment that will eventually pay off financially and immediately pay off in congestion and air pollution. Why think so shortsightedness?
The problem is that there is no population between LA and SF. thete are hundreds of miles wasted. If we were populated like Boston to Philly then I could see the use for it. It is way to expensive to pay for it. To take YOUR fed dollars, they had to start it so their plan is a few miles in the middle of the state where absolutely no one lives!
Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #20
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
The problem is that there is no population between LA and SF. thete are hundreds of miles wasted. If we were populated like Boston to Philly then I could see the use for it. It is way to expensive to pay for it. To take YOUR fed dollars, they had to start it so their plan is a few miles in the middle of the state where absolutely no one lives!
It doesn't matter that there is nothing between San Diego and L.A. How many people per day commute between the two cities? No population in between will make it easier to build.

What happened to this country. We used to build things. We built Hoover Dam. We built the interstate highway system, which at the time was one of the amazing inrastructure projects ever. Build the highspeed rail and a 100 years from now you will still be using it!! Why do people think so small? Hell, I don't even live in California but I think Federal dollars should be spent on this. Have you ever seen the high speed rails in Europe or Japan? It is amazing you can zip around Europe in a few minutes. I went from Amsterdam to Frankfurt, Germany in under 4 hours.

People today always just say, "we can't" when of course the real answer is, "we Can" and "We should".
Old 07-17-2014, 12:25 AM   #21
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
Not gonna happen.
It's certainly been slow progress since LBJ said the following half a century ago:

In recent decades, we have achieved technological miracles in our transportation. But there is one great exception.

We have airplanes which fly three times faster than sound. We have television cameras that are orbiting Mars. But we have the same tired and inadequate mass transportation between our towns and cities that we had 30 years ago.

Today, as we meet here in this historic room where Abigail Adams hung out her washing, an astronaut can orbit the earth faster than a man on the ground can get from New York to Washington. Yet, the same science and technology which gave us our airplanes and our space probes, I believe, could also give us better and faster and more economical transportation on the ground. And a lot of us need it more on the ground than we need it orbiting the earth.

So I hope this meeting this morning will provide a platform for us to get that kind of transportation. We must do it. We must start getting it now. In the past 15 years, travel between our cities has more than doubled. By 1985--only 20 years away--we will have 75 million more Americans in this country. And those 75 million will be doing a great deal more traveling.

So, we must find ways to move more people, to move these people faster, and to move them with greater comfort and with more safety.

This bill is a first step toward accomplishing some of those objectives.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #22
W*GS
Ring of Famer

I was talking about splitting CA.

Not gonna happen.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #23
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Isn't the Kennedy Compound a separate state?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #24
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It doesn't matter that there is nothing between San Diego and L.A. How many people per day commute between the two cities? No population in between will make it easier to build.

What happened to this country. We used to build things. We built Hoover Dam. We built the interstate highway system, which at the time was one of the amazing inrastructure projects ever. Build the highspeed rail and a 100 years from now you will still be using it!! Why do people think so small? Hell, I don't even live in California but I think Federal dollars should be spent on this. Have you ever seen the high speed rails in Europe or Japan? It is amazing you can zip around Europe in a few minutes. I went from Amsterdam to Frankfurt, Germany in under 4 hours.

People today always just say, "we can't" when of course the real answer is, "we Can" and "We should".
We spent $50 million on the Hoover Dam.

Today, you'd be lucky to spend less than that defending yourself in the Lawsuit Greenpeace brought to end the project.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #25
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

If congress signed off on a state that is purely of the tech region then that proves there is a God because every politician in DC would have sold their soul to the Devil.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote