The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default UDFA Sleeper RB C.J. Anderson might be a diamond in the rough

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-foo...rson_cj00.html

Chedk the YouTube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhF120vxzDU

I'm intrigued with what I've read about this RB from Cal that Denver signed as a UDFA. For starters, his physical measurables are interesting enough to warrant a long look in camp if he shows anything. This is a 5'8" 228 pound bowling ball who clocked a pedestrian 4.6 at the combine but later ran 4.49 and 4.52 for scouts at Cal's pro day. He also notched the 3rd fastest short shuttle time at the combine (4.41) and put up 17 bench reps...but enough of that, his situation and the improvement trajectory are what interests me, as well as the You Tube video of him running with moves and power and a low center of gravity that makes him look like a poor man's MJD bouncing off tacklers.

This guy was a star high school option QB in California who didn't switch to RB till his senior year when he went for 1624 on the ground and 23 scores. He was California's 2nd leading prep rusher with over 4,000 yards in HS but probably got overlooked since he only played 1 year at RB and so he wound up going the JUCO route and went to Laney College, where he went for 6.1 and 7.5 ypc in two seasons respectively and piled up 1644 yards rushing his sophmore year, nearly a 1000 yards more than his first season. At Cal he split time with another RB so didn't carry the ball much but the ypc numbers are impressive, a 5.73 ypc overall and 6.2 ypc his senior season. For a power back running between the tackles those are eye popping numbers. It looks like he caught a few balls too and scored on some long runs.

Looking at his numbers, for a guy who only started playing RB his senior year in HS, he jumped dramatically both at Laney College and at Cal in his second season. With McGahee getting long in the tooth and both he and Moreno's health in question I hope this kid gets a good long look. He looks like he's got the kind of power to move the pile and enough swerve to make people miss as well.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 05-01-2013 at 09:57 PM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-foo...rson_cj00.html

Chedk the YouTube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhF120vxzDU

I'm intrigued with what I've read about this RB from Cal that Denver signed as a UDFA. For starters, his physical measurables are interesting enough to warrant a long look in camp if he shows anything. This is a 5'8" 228 pound bowling ball who clocked a pedestrian 4.6 at the combine but later ran 4.49 and 4.52 for scouts at Cal's pro day. He also notched the 3rd fastest short shuttle time at the combine (4.41) and put up 17 bench reps...but enough of that, his situation and the improvement trajectory are what interests me, as well as the You Tube video of him running with moves and power and a low center of gravity that makes him look like a poor man's MJD bouncing off tacklers.

This guy was a star high school option QB in California who didn't switch to RB till his senior year when he went for 1624 on the ground and 23 scores. He was California's 2nd leading prep rusher with over 4,000 yards in HS but probably got overlooked since he only played 1 year at RB and so he wound up going the JUCO route and went to Laney College, where he went for 6.1 and 7.5 ypc in two seasons respectively and piled up 1644 yards rushing his sophmore year, nearly a 1000 yards more than his first season. At Cal he split time with another RB so didn't carry the ball much but the ypc numbers are impressive, a 5.73 ypc overall and 6.2 ypc his senior season. For a power back running between the tackles those are eye popping numbers. It looks like he caught a few balls too and scored on some long runs.

Looking at his numbers, for a guy who only started playing RB his senior year in HS, he jumped dramatically both at Laney College and at Cal in his second season. With McGahee getting long in the tooth and both he and Moreno's health in question I hope this kid gets a good long look. He looks like he's got the kind of power to move the pile and enough swerve to make people miss as well.
O.O
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
SlyEli

Idk man. Watching him is like watching lance ball. Stocky little guy without very much explosiveness or elusiveness. I would have preferred ray graham out of the crop of rb udfa's
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

First order of business, he MUST learn not to swing that Football around like a purse dangling off his forearm. His looks like a strip fumble waiting to happen in the NFL on a llot of those runs. That however is coachable but he's gotta get that right asap if he plans on hanging around beyond mid August.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Dude runs just like Quentin Griffin...he has a shot but carries too high through the line. This guy is going to get his bell rung running that high. I like the consistent performance but getting caught from behind will be just frustrating on film.
Vegas_Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
extralife
Ring of Famer

ahhh, the annual Mike Bell award to the UDFA RB who people expect to be an all pro.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I don't see much from Anderson that makes me think he's anything more than camp fodder. Doesn't have much burst or have great vision to make up for a lack of athleticism. Maybe if he adds 15 pounds he can be our token FB, but I don't think his ceiling is very high at the RB position.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Dude runs just like Quentin Griffin...he has a shot but carries too high through the line. This guy is going to get his bell rung running that high. I like the consistent performance but getting caught from behind will be just frustrating on film.
Q was a scat back, this guy is a pinball.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
BossBruce
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyEli View Post
Idk man. Watching him is like watching lance ball. Stocky little guy without very much explosiveness or elusiveness. I would have preferred ray graham out of the crop of rb udfa's
This.
BossBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Short people are always overlooked......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Dude looks slow as hell running straight up
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
BossBruce
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyEli View Post
This.
BossBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Short people are always overlooked......
I see what you did there.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

he's a one cut and go back so that fits the mold they seem to want in their RB's.
i just don't like the things he does on film. carrying the ball like a it's a no big deal, he cuts well but doesn't explode through the line, he doesn't seems to be able to make guys miss on a consistent basis and seems overly stiff even though his combine and pro day results show him to be better than that.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
p7superfly
CHAMP IS THE TRUTH.

Born bleeding Orange & Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
KNOWSHON

The guy won't get caught from behind ... he's our 3rd and 1, or goal line back, running behind Vasquez with a blocking FB.
p7superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

He'll get his chance to prove himself in TC. If he does, he'll be a PS candidate, if not, he will be gone. It's up to him, and that simple.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I hope pick up one of the Skins RB cast offs.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
Denver724
Ring of Famer

I think he has great vision.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #19
Denver Bronco56
Head Coach

The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
ahhh, the annual Mike Bell award to the UDFA RB who people expect to be an all pro.
I vote to rename the award, to the Selvin Young Award. (The offseason where he, along with alot of people online thought could crack 2000 yards)
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7superfly View Post
The guy won't get caught from behind ... he's our 3rd and 1, or goal line back, running behind Vasquez with a blocking FB.
Denver just drafted the NCAA Division I FBS record holder for most career touchdowns in Montee Ball....I wouldn't look for C.J. Anderson to be the goal line ball carrier, if he ends up making the team.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

I'm not seeing it....I mean maybe a 3rd string/special teams guy
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Mike Bell didn't do too poorly for himself. Played 5 years in the league, and won a Super Bowl ring during his time as a Saint. Not an All-Pro, but I'm not going to sneer at walking away with a ring.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #23
Agamemnon

I don't see anything special with this guy, and that's saying something considering the video is highlights only. He might be better than Lance Ball, but that isn't really saying anything.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7superfly View Post
Did you miss the draft or something?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #25
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
No ****.....just like we still have clowns on here slobbering all over Jeremiah Johnson's nuts despite the fact he can't even get off the practice squad.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote