The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #76
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Shaun Alexander had 64 carries for 313 yards and 2 TDs his rookie season.
That still a 4.9 YPC average which is pretty good. Not his fault he didn't get the carries. Hillman is not Shaun Alexander.

Ii have huge doubts about Hillman, but I could see him being an effective component of our RB committee - in small bursts.

I actually hope we keep McGahee and Ball and they're the 1 and 2. With the two of them pounding away and splitting carries they'll both be more effective. I think wearing down opposing defenses is more important than a 'change of pace'.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #77
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
We passed on Eddie Lacy
Quote:
*Numerous front office men say there were not surprised to see Eddie Lacy fall to the Packers at the end of the second round. The more NFL teams looked at him, the more faults they saw. Lacy was knocked for poor work habits, lack of speed, durability concerns, a limited body of work and running style.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...litz-1291.html
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #78
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think Hillman will be good for us he was just a little deer in the headlights last yr. When he was in manning had to really tell him what was going on. He needs to get where if someone not where they are supposed to me he is telling them where to go. Think about how this yr our players will be so further along into the playbook on offense.

I'm hoping Phillip Blake is someone the team is high on but he just couldnt learn the oline calls yet. If he turned out to be a starter in the NFL that would be a huge bonus.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #79
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

it's not really the Broncos who passed on LACY. It was the whole NFL that passed on him. I read that Green Bay wanted Ball in the worst way and that if they had gotten him they don't take Franklin. Lacy had a toe fusion surgery and NFL just scared to death of feet. Think about it its the one spot on a player that really surgeries have not gotten great on. I asked my doctor once and he said there are so many bones under so much pressure that foot surgeons are some of the best doctors. Foot problems in RB scare the crap out of NFL teams. They are hard to fix long term.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #80
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
That still a 4.9 YPC average which is pretty good. Not his fault he didn't get the carries. Hillman is not Shaun Alexander.

Ii have huge doubts about Hillman, but I could see him being an effective component of our RB committee - in small bursts.

I actually hope we keep McGahee and Ball and they're the 1 and 2. With the two of them pounding away and splitting carries they'll both be more effective. I think wearing down opposing defenses is more important than a 'change of pace'.
I don't think Ball will be more effective splitting carries. Dude is a bell cow and gets better the more carries you feed him.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #81
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Can we talk about how good he looks catching the ball? Smooth, natural. Excited to see this kid play. I say we roll with Ball, Hillman, Moreno, McGahee. Seems like the coaches are down on Moreno, but he has a very useful skillset (try and tell me that his TD catch against the Ravens wasn't sick).
Moreno's contract is probably his doom. I really don't think the Broncos are going to be willing to pay him 3.5 mil.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #82
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Moreno's contract is probably his doom. I really don't think the Broncos are going to be willing to pay him 3.5 mil.
With the money saved on Doom it is insurance we can afford
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #83
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I don't either. No way in hell Elway pays him that much when last yr in his big chance once again he proved hes not durable or tough enough to get it done. Why keep him around as a bkup who can't stay healthy? last yr it made sense he was cheap on the cap. If this yr he really is 3.5 million he's ****ing gone. He won't make it on to the final roster IMO.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #84
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
He only makes $1.7M this year, and they only save $945K in cap room if they cut him.

McGahee is due to make $2.5M and they save $2.0M cap if they cut him.

Pretty clear which guy will get cut if only one.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #85
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Interesting read on Ball.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...t-montee-ball/
Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #86
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
He only makes $1.7M this year, and they only save $945K in cap room if they cut him.

Moreno's cap number this year is 3.3 million, though his actual salary might be different. I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/
Old 04-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #87
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Moreno's cap number this year is 3.3 million, though his actual salary might be different. I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers.

If you change the dropdown box from cap to base you'll see his salary. They still get most of that cap hit if they cut him which is why they'll likely keep him. They save more by cutting McGahee, both cap and cash.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #88
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:

If I'm reading that right though, because of the dead money on his contract, we would actually only save about 900k against the cap if we cut him. Technically he's right.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #89
Agamemnon

Quote:
If you change the dropdown box from cap to base you'll see his salary. They still get most of that cap hit if they cut him which is why they'll likely keep him. They save more by cutting McGahee, both cap and cash.
And where are you getting that cutting him would only free up $945k?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #90
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
If I'm reading that right though, because of the dead money on his contract, we would actually only save about 900k against the cap if we cut him. Technically he's right.
Yeah I just saw where they have that listed. What an utterly ****ing retarded contract McD signed him to...
Old 04-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #91
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Yeah I just saw where they have that listed. What an utterly ****ing retarded contract McD signed him to...
not really retarded. his cap number is still low, even for a back up.
there is no reason to cut him, Lance Ball is the one who needs to be cut.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #92
extralife
Ring of Famer

Lance Ball plays special teams. Moreno's play is "special," but probably not in the way he was hoping.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #93
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Its a boiler plate first round rookie contract with the signing bonus pro-rated through the life of the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Lance Ball plays special teams. Moreno's play is "special," but probably not in the way he was hoping.
And Ball is worthless to the offense. I don't think we should be basing our decisions on the #2/#3 RB (i.e. someone who will see significant field time) on who is a better special teams player.

Fact of the matter is before getting hurt Moreno was the best RB for this offense on the roster last year. He added a receiving element that neither McGahee or Hillman could, he didn't fumble as much as McGahee and he was more consistent running the ball than Hillman. Not to mention that he was probably the best RB in pass pro all last season.

Its great that we look to have a real three down back on the roster now with Ball, but health in the NFL is a week to week thing and we'd be a hell of a lot better off with a #2 RB who can actually fill all the roles our offense asks of him.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #94
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

I think McGahee and Moreno are gone this year. We'll probably carry Montee Ball as our starter, Hillman as the backup change of pace guy, and I think Mario Fannin beats out lance ball to be the 3rd rb.
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #95
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Funniest part of the article.

and ex-draft bust turned average contributor Knowshon Moreno.

Last edited by socalorado; 04-29-2013 at 07:53 AM..
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #96
DENVERDUI55

I'll be honest I don't know much about Montee Ball other than he was very productive in college. Watching his highlight vids he looks very smooth and gets to the hole quick. It will be exciting to see how preseason goes with him.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #97
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

One Cut, Go.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #98
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I don't see Terrell Davis, Emmett Smith is who he reminds me of. TD was more agile while Ball is bigger and stronger like Smith.
That's how I see it too. He's very comparable to Smith.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #99
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

The Broncos will cut Moreno before McGahee, it's not all about the money all the time.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #100
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
The Broncos will cut Moreno before McGahee, it's not all about the money all the time.
But the money is a big factor. And Moreno is also younger and played pretty well down the stretch last year. Since Ball is going to be the primary back and Hillman probably the second option it would make sense to keep the younger, cheaper backup behind them.