The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #26
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Maybe so. He just looked like he had a special bounce in his step in 11' and in 12' was more of a plodding standard Wisconsin type back. I'm not down on him, I'm just hoping the film I saw in 11' is what we get to combine with Peyton Manning in the backfield. If that's the case, we could have the steal of the draft.
I just watched highlights from both years and I really didn't see what you were talking about. I will say though, that line in 11 was absolutely destroying people. My god those lanes were huge.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #27
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

All good points. As mentioned, hope we get the 11' version which seemed very dynamic with him lining up behind Manning. The 12' version would be very Anthony Thomas like to me coming out of Michigan for the Bears.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
He looked way better in 11' than he did in 12'. Hopefully that's what we get with him playing in Denver. Should be fun to watch. The nice thing is we have depth at the HB position either way.
In 2012 Wisconsin offense was ONLY Ball and every team had 9 in hte box to try to stop him. Their passing game was lame, but in 2011 Russell Wilson was his QB and of course they passed a lot moer and it was easier for him to rack up the yards.

Still in 2012 he averaged 5.1ypc and had a bushel of TDs as it was even when everyone on the defense was gunning mostly for him.

Here he will be a key part, but only one of many parts of an incredibly explosive offense with at most 6 to 7 defenders down low for fear of getting torched by MAnning and the Quattro Amigos (DT, Deck, Welker & King) Not to mention a few good TEs for good measure.

So both Montee and Ronnie are going find it a good deal easier to find and bust holes in a ground game that will keep the chains moving and get short yardage first downs and TDs on a regular basis.. specially with Vasquez punching those holes this year.

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-27-2013 at 11:30 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Rev,

Not only did Wisconsin send Ralph Wilson to the NFL in the 3rd rd... Ball also lost the following to the NFL last year.

Kevin Zeitler G 1st rd
Peter Konz C 2nd rd
Nick Toon WR 4th rd
Brady Ewing FB 5th round

Wisconsin and Ball lost a lot of talent last year to the NFL draft, Montee was still able to pull off big numbers losing 5 players to the NFL.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #30
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

It's been a long time since we've had an elite back... would be nice to have one again
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #31
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Ball is 217 now and usually plays from 216 to 220.
Ball is a bit heavier than TD, but he still has a very similar style. Ball said he models his game on TD and Elway said he reminded him of TD, and yet people here are arguing the point. It's hilarious.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #32
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I hope he is right but you have to keep these post draft interviews in perspective....kind of like offseason puff pieces.

He's not going to say Montee reminds him of Sammy Winder.
I believe Elway specifically drafted Montee Ball, because he was trying to give Peyton Manning a Terrell Davis. Consistent RB, who picks up 5 yards every time, with great vision, and ability to cut.

Elway even said, "We put their (Ball and TD's) combine numbers up next to each other".

This was deliberate.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #33
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
In 2012 Wisconsin offense was ONLY Ball and every team had 9 in hte box to try to stop him. Their passing game was lame, but in 2011 Russell Wilson was his QB and of course they passed a lot moer and it was easier for him to rack up the yards.

Still in 2012 he averaged 5.1ypc and had a bushel of TDs as it was even when everyone on the defense was gunning mostly for him.

Here he will be a key part, but only one of many parts of an incredibly explosive offense with at most 6 to 7 defenders down low for fear of getting torched by MAnning and the Quattro Amigos (DT, Deck, Welker & King) Not to mention a few good TEs for good measure.

So both Montee and Ronnie are going find it a good deal easier to find and bust holes in a ground game that will keep the chains moving and get short yardage first downs and TDs on a regular basis.. specially with Vasquez punching those holes this year.
It all sounds so nice. Hopefully this will be the case. We need somebody who can keep defenses honest but also convert on 3rd & short. That cost us the Baltimore playoff game.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #34
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I believe Elway specifically drafted Montee Ball, because he was trying to give Peyton Manning a Terrell Davis. Consistent RB, who picks up 5 yards every time, with great vision, and ability to cut.

Elway even said, "We put their (Ball and TD's) combine numbers up next to each other".

This was deliberate.
Yep. And I don't think it should be taken as Elway saying he will be as good as TD. He's simply saying that Ball's style is similar to TD's so they are hopeful he will offer that dependable, yardage grinding back that would greatly help Manning.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #35
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

He looked like Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, and TD wrapped all in to one during the B10 championship game to me.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #36
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

TD compared Lacy to himself. Elway compared Ball to TD.

What the Duke wants, the Duke gets.

I think he's right too. Lacy had ONE year over 200 carries and 1000 yards. Now he's all messed up. Turf toe, can't work-out or run at the combine. Yeah, no thanks.

Like Fox said regarding Ball, "The fact that he's had that many carries and not gotten injured is a GOOD thing."

You can compare Montee Ball to Thurman Thomas, Emmitt Smith, TD, or whoever you want. There are two things Ball has been: extremely productive, and extremely durable.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-27-2013 at 11:20 PM..
Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #37
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I was a little confused when everyone got so upset that we drafted him. The guy produced at the highest level during his collegiate career.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #38
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

You give Lacy as many carries as Ball has had, and he'd probably be in a wheelchair.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #39
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
He looked like Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, and TD wrapped all in to one during the B10 championship game to me.
Lol

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #40
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Ball is 217 now and usually plays from 216 to 220.
since when? he was 214-215 at Wisky after he dropped weight to become lighter and more of a feature back. he was about 210 at his pro day.

Montee Ball Weight Article

Last edited by Lestat; 04-28-2013 at 12:24 AM..
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #41
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

The way Ball is similar to TD is his vision and lightening quick reactions to what he sees.

I like Moreno as a back but this is exactly what he lacks.

Ball is going to be awesome in a Manning backfield just awesome. The fact he is so durable is huge too. I said it earlier and I still think we may have the steal of the draft with Ball.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #42
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I don't think anybody underestimates Elway's skills at salesmanship.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #43
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Lacy won't make it 4 years in the NFL. He has horrible hips and can't change direction without having something to bounce off of...reminds me of Lance Ball style. Lacy also benefited from playing with exceptional talent as well as the lead most of the games. Montee benefited from playing some pretty low profile schools at the beginning of each season...he ran all day on UNLV two years in a row.

Ball ran a 6.2 yard average when his team won the game and a 3.7 yard average in losses...now think about Lacy's stats given his team won nearly every game.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #44
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Alot of fluff going around these forums for this year's draft... Frankly I'm seeing this draft as bad as Jarvin Moss' or McD's tradeup for a 5'8 CB year. Just terrible from top to bottom!
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #45
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
Alot of fluff going around these forums for this year's draft... Frankly I'm seeing this draft as bad as Jarvin Moss' or McD's tradeup for a 5'8 CB year. Just terrible from top to bottom!
No need to see these guys play football, right? JFC
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #46
Majik
Man7

On Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Rev,

Not only did Wisconsin send Ralph Wilson to the NFL in the 3rd rd... Ball also lost the following to the NFL last year.

Kevin Zeitler G 1st rd
Peter Konz C 2nd rd
Nick Toon WR 4th rd
Brady Ewing FB 5th round

Wisconsin and Ball lost a lot of talent last year to the NFL draft, Montee was still able to pull off big numbers losing 5 players to the NFL.
They also lost offensive coordinator and offensive line coach.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #47
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Truth is nobody really knows but I would far rather be excited about the players we selected than assume they suck or we could have gotten better players.

I see guys like you apply the same negative beliefs about the unknown in life and as a result are miserable people. Not only that but they usually manifest for themselves what they see in their future.

Being a fan of the game of football is supposed to be fun as long as we don't know what these players will do on the field why not be excited about the possibilities.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #48
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
If you are going to make such an inflammatory statement, you need to back it up.

Who is this year's Jarvis Moss, and why do you make the comparison? Is it Sly Williams, and if so, why?

What transaction compares to the Alphonzo Smith debacle? The Webster pick? Really?

Honestly, I want to know. Please elaborate. What are all of us missing that you seem to know?
R8R H8R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #49
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
I agree they have similar styles and ability, but that is truly lofty expectations being thrust upon this guy.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #50
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Money to Burn WOOOO®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

We passed on Eddie Lacy
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote