The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #151
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Romo. Maybe he can be our Romo and get under players skin. Do a few cheap shots and maybe spit on someone. You know go Romo on them.
Here is to hoping he becomes a Neil Smith/Romo combo!
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #152
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,329
Default

Shaun Phillips IS NOT a role mode.

Shaun Phillips IS the edge on Defense that the Broncos were missing. Elway is a genius.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #153
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Here is to hoping he becomes a Neil Smith/Romo combo!
first play he hits Rivers in the head then spits on Eddie Royal. NO FLAG!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #154
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
first play he hits Rivers in the head then spits on Eddie Royal. NO FLAG!
He would have to go find Royal on the bench to spit on him so that would be extra awesome.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #155
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
When is the last time we had a real trash talker?
offense? Shannon Sharpe, defense? Romo(though Lenny Walls talked a lot of **** too but he normally got burned)
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #156
BroncosfanGuy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Shaun Phillips IS NOT a role mode.
Charles Barkley probably agrees
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #157
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
Charles Barkley probably agrees
lol, no person you don't know should be a role model.
Barkley is correct in what he said. but when you have sponsorship deals and marketing to get people to buy stuff you have to act like one.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #158
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
He is, but I hated him SO much as a Charger that it's going to take a lot more of the right things. Like some 3rd down stops in September.
This. I would not have thought twice about taking a **** on Shaun Phillips ashes over the last 5 or so years. He was by far my most hated player on an opposing AFC West Team.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #159
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,358

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Nice to have him on our side... might up the ante a bit from SD (if they're decent this year).

From a value perspective, I'd rather have Philips get 9 sacks in a third down role with Ayers on 1st and 2nd... than have Doom get 12 and be a liability against the run.

Three million vs nine million? Give me Philips any day. In fact I think we're better off now, even without taking price into account.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #160
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,906

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
Nice to have him on our side... might up the ante a bit from SD (if they're decent this year).

From a value perspective, I'd rather have Philips get 9 sacks in a third down role with Ayers on 1st and 2nd... than have Doom get 12 and be a liability against the run.

Three million vs nine million? Give me Philips any day. In fact I think we're better off now, even without taking price into account.
Was dumervil a liability last year against the run?I think not.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #161
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board
 
Jetmeck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Was dumervil a liability last year against the run?I think not.
More times than not there was a gaping hole to run through because he was washed out of the play by good LT.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #162
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
More times than not there was a gaping hole to run through because he was washed out of the play by good LT.
I think you're wrong. Early in the Nickel Defense had problems against outside runs because the LB's were poor in pursuit. By the time playoffs came around, both Dumervil and Miller were coached to sprint upfield and seal the edge...both did it very effectively against the Ravens. Everything was funneled inside. The Broncos LB's pretty much stopped everything except Ray Rice's 47 yard run down to the 2 yard-line (which was a DJ Williams whiff).
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #163
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
first play he hits Rivers in the head then spits on Eddie Royal. NO FLAG!
wishing injury on an opponent is bad karma..... or something like that
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #164
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,358

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Was dumervil a liability last year against the run?I think not.
Um... yeah, he was rated as one of the worst DEs in the NFL against the run by PFF.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #165
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
Um... yeah, he was rated as one of the worst DEs in the NFL against the run by PFF.
We must have a fanstastic team to overcome such a liability that was on the field alot. Ranked so high against the run means we got some RB stoppers all over the field.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #166
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,329
Default

After hearing the Broncos chatter over the last few days, I think it's likely Ayers stays as starting RDE, and Phillips come in at RDE during obvious passing situations.

Nalen and Lepsis say "power" isn't Phillips game.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #167
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
We must have a fanstastic team to overcome such a liability that was on the field alot. Ranked so high against the run means we got some RB stoppers all over the field.
13-3
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #168
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,358

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
We must have a fanstastic team to overcome such a liability that was on the field alot. Ranked so high against the run means we got some RB stoppers all over the field.
Or teams bypassed the run in order to pass because they were trailing most of the season.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #169
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Was dumervil a liability last year against the run?I think not.
you think wrong then. he was playing piss poor for a good chunk of the season to the point where we all wanted to know if he was injured or something.
he turned it on late but Elvis isn't the force some make him out to be on these boards.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #170
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board
 
Jetmeck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I think you're wrong. Early in the Nickel Defense had problems against outside runs because the LB's were poor in pursuit. By the time playoffs came around, both Dumervil and Miller were coached to sprint upfield and seal the edge...both did it very effectively against the Ravens. Everything was funneled inside. The Broncos LB's pretty much stopped everything except Ray Rice's 47 yard run down to the 2 yard-line (which was a DJ Williams whiff).

Didn't know they were coached to provide a huge running lane.............whatever the cause it happened a lot.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #171
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board
 
Jetmeck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
you think wrong then. he was playing piss poor for a good chunk of the season to the point where we all wanted to know if he was injured or something.
he turned it on late but Elvis isn't the force some make him out to be on these boards.

Exactly........That said I wanted to keep Doom because we are so close to getting it done BUT the DUKE pulled off another come from behind miracle....least on paper it looks that way.

Phillips with a couple of draft studs for the line look to be an upgrade over Elvis in both run and pass.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #172
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Exactly........That said I wanted to keep Doom because we are so close to getting it done BUT the DUKE pulled off another come from behind miracle....least on paper it looks that way.

Phillips with a couple of draft studs for the line look to be an upgrade over Elvis in both run and pass.
i was never really worried about losing Elvis one way or another.
if we kept him it meant we didn't have to draft someone high and potentially lose out on value in other areas.

if we lost him which we did, i assumed Elway would find a replacement in the draft long term and FA for the short term.

losing his salary does however help us in the future with cap flexibility. no longer need to worry about redoing his deal and making it fit under the cap while extending Von and others.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #173
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
Or teams bypassed the run in order to pass because they were trailing most of the season.
Buht the teams YPC was low as well as yards per game
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #174
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,358

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Buht the teams YPC was low as well as yards per game
The Broncos were second from last in generating interior pressure last year, too. I think that might actually be a reason why our YPC defense was great, actually - a lot of beef in the middle, and a more reactionary style of play perhaps?

Often times teams, schematically speaking, have to sacrifice against the pass to do well against the run. I'm thinking JDRs scheme has a lot to do with it.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #175
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
The Broncos were second from last in generating interior pressure last year, too. I think that might actually be a reason why our YPC defense was great, actually - a lot of beef in the middle, and a more reactionary style of play perhaps?

Often times teams, schematically speaking, have to sacrifice against the pass to do well against the run. I'm thinking JDRs scheme has a lot to do with it.
Denver was one of the top teams against the pass as well.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Denver Broncos