The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #26
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
What's the right price? Seems to me that money should go to definite needs instead of back up insurance in case someone goes down
It is funny you say this... Most people talking about the draft keep mentioning depth when discussing draft picks.

I for one would like to bring him in if he is not asking for the huge deal. 3 million a year sounds real good for us.... since DJ is making 2 times that.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #27
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
He would bring more pass rush then Ayers does from the bench.
Is that really an endorsement of Freeney? You could have four Ayers-level players for what Freeney would want and their production would be comparable. I think you might get 1 good season out of Freeney. He would have some advantages here as we wouldn't get double teamed as much, but I question if he'd hold up.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #28
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
It is funny you say this... Most people talking about the draft keep mentioning depth when discussing draft picks.

I for one would like to bring him in if he is not asking for the huge deal. 3 million a year sounds real good for us.... since DJ is making 2 times that.
DJ is not making that next year.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #29
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

The question Denver needs to ask when signing these VET FA is are we going for the SB right now? (Yes obviously)
If yes, does the player help and does he break the bank? If no..
Then sign his ass and consider ourselves another step closer to killing opposing QB's and getting to the SB.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

In what world do you think Freeney is going to make 3mil a year?! Hahaha
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #31
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Obviously, it all depends on what he thinks he's worth.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #32
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Is that really an endorsement of Freeney? You could have four Ayers-level players for what Freeney would want and their production would be comparable. I think you might get 1 good season out of Freeney. He would have some advantages here as we wouldn't get double teamed as much, but I question if he'd hold up.
He came on strong at the end of last year. 3 sacks in his final three games. He was too old to be moved to OLB in a 3-4.

I don't see any reason to doubt he could get us no less the 5 sacks off the bench. When is the last time we had a pass rushing role player like that? Reggie Hayward in 2003?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #33
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Our pass rush pretty much ends at Miller and Dumervil unless you kick Wolfe inside on passing downs. There is nothing wrong with having a guy like Freeney on the team. It has to be a cap friendly deal. However, I wouldn't have any qualms about getting a pass rusher in the draft to be a situational player and perhaps eventual replacement for Dumervil down the road. We need more help in that regard, because clearly who we have didn't do jack against Baltimore.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #34
SlyEli

Quote:
He came on strong at the end of last year. 3 sacks in his final three games. He was too old to be moved to OLB in a 3-4.

I don't see any reason to doubt he could get us no less the 5 sacks off the bench. When is the last time we had a pass rushing role player like that? Reggie Hayward in 2003?
seems to me we're paying 10 mil a year already for a pass rushing role player in Dumervil
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #35
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
When your pass rush goes MIA in playoffs no wonder Manning is doing this.
49ers only got two sacks against the Ravens o-line in the Super Bowl. Maybe they should pursue Freeney as well.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #36
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Our pass rush pretty much ends at Miller and Dumervil unless you kick Wolfe inside on passing downs. There is nothing wrong with having a guy like Freeney on the team. It has to be a cap friendly deal. However, I wouldn't have any qualms about getting a pass rusher in the draft to be a situational player and perhaps eventual replacement for Dumervil down the road. We need more help in that regard, because clearly who we have didn't do jack against Baltimore.
Exactly. Freeney has sick moves too. He could possibly teach Von and Doom a thing or two.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Exactly. Freeney has sick moves too. He could possibly teach Von and Doom a thing or two.
Not only that, but outside of Champ Bailey (who has said he isn't a vocal guy) how many true veteran leaders do we have on the defense? Of course, it would be great if we had some young players (like Miller) step up and eventually become that sort of guy, but I think he would be a good guy to have in the locker room as well for leadership qualities, tutelage, etc.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #38
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
DJ is not making that next year.
Once again, you are wrong. DJ is on the books for the following as of this moment:

year base s.bonus misc bonus total cap hit

2013 6,000,000 250,000 1,832,500 8,082,500
Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #39
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
In what world do you think Freeney is going to make 3mil a year?! Hahaha

And what makes you an expert on what he will take at this point in his career? I never said he would accept 3 million for 2013, I said that is what I feel he is worth to us based on what we paid DJ Williams for being a part time player...and not a very good one at that.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #40
Bacchus

Quote:
Our pass rush pretty much ends at Miller and Dumervil unless you kick Wolfe inside on passing downs.
Woodyard had 5 or six sacks. Denver was in the top 3 in sacks in the NFL.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #41
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Karlos Dansby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
When your pass rush goes MIA in playoffs no wonder Manning is doing this.
People are acting like our pass rush was teats all year. It was above average, to excellent, but didn't show up in the most important game of the year. I can't believe that even an older/diminished Freeney couldn't be useful as a rotational/situational pass rusher.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #42
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Woodyard had 5 or six sacks. Denver was in the top 3 in sacks in the NFL.
Thanks to Von and Elvis accounting for well over half of them.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #43
Bacchus

Quote:
Thanks to Von and Elvis accounting for well over half of them.
But the pass rush DID NOT END with Von and Doom like was stated. It countinued with Wolfe, Woodyard, Harris, Mays, Adams, Ayers, Brooking, Moore, Trevethan and Vickerson.

Bannon had zero sacks. Get a DT that can get 5 sacks and push the middle on passing downs and Denver's total will grow even more.

Last edited by Bacchus; 02-20-2013 at 01:10 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #44
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
But the pass rush DID NOT END with Von and Doom like was stated. It countinued with Wolfe, Woodyard, Harris, Mays, Adams, Ayers, Brooking, Moore, Trevethan and Vickerson.
We have two standout pass rushers and a good interior rusher on passing downs in Wolfe. That is it. I could give two ****s less if we had defensive backs getting a sack or two because of good situational play calling. That is my point. We can get better.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #45
pricejj
jungle

Quote:

Bannon had zero sacks. Get a DT that can get 5 sacks and push the middle on passing downs and Denver's total will grow even more.
Bannan is a pretty strong dude, who helped shut down the middle of the field...making the Broncos Defense top 5 in rushing. Whoever else they get at DT is going to have to be really strong. Gonna be tough to find in a rookie.

I'm rewatching the playoff game now...and it's a quandary. Who are they going to be able to get who could actually improve the Defense?

Another pass-rushing DE, a penetrating DT, a faster MIKE, a better Safety, a shutdown CB?

Champ losing a step is definitely not what the doctor ordered.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #46
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

After hearing what Freeney actually said, this might just be the NFL equivilant to "hey lets get together sometime"
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #47
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Would not mind Freeney, Doom, and Von with Wolfe/Ayers at all. Just save some for Woodson. If Peyton wants him, it wouldn't hurt if he took a tiny paycut just to make sure.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #48
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
And what makes you an expert on what he will take at this point in his career? I never said he would accept 3 million for 2013, I said that is what I feel he is worth to us based on what we paid DJ Williams for being a part time player...and not a very good one at that.
Hey! No expert here dude, but I'll bet ya that he won't sign for anything less than 6 mil a year. And about DJ... yeah you are right. He has been hugely overpaid since signing his extension. We need to cut weight over there. No restructuring/he can play MLB crap. Just cut the cord!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #49
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Hey! No expert here dude, but I'll bet ya that he won't sign for anything less than 6 mil a year. And about DJ... yeah you are right. He has been hugely overpaid since signing his extension. We need to cut weight over there. No restructuring/he can play MLB crap. Just cut the cord!
John Abraham was 33 coming off a 9.5 sack season last year and signed for less then 6 million over 3 years. I don't see Freeney getting anymore then that and the 2,250,000 signing bonus Abraham got.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #50
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
John Abraham was 33 coming off a 9.5 sack season last year and signed for less then 6 million over 3 years. I don't see Freeney getting anymore then that and the 2,250,000 signing bonus Abraham got.
Abraham while good/great, is no Freeney.