The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #126
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

lol @ rounding tips up to the dollar. old men here
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #127
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

I usually give a couple inches and if shes hot, I will give her the whole salami.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #128
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

One of the best things about living in Japan for the last several years is the the food and bar service. No tips, they won't accept if you try and will insulted if you attempt. They never come bothering you at your table. When you want service, you either yell (not considered rude) at them, or some places have a call button you push. Best service in any country I've been in.

Can't say the same for service in the states. Hit or miss depending on where you go, but I guarentee you are much more likely to get a rude, disinterested server in the US than Japan.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #129
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

People here who think "oh they make minimum so its never okay to tip below 15%" are way too ****ing generous as far as i'm concerned.

here's a news story, there are people working harder jobs at minimum wage that never get tipped period, if you stand there and don't hustle to give me my food, you're little to no tip. If you hustle you might get $5 tip on a $10 meal.

15% = slightly below average, 18% = slightly above average, 20% = good, 10% = awful.

If you're especially good or especially awful i might go higher than the price of my entire meal or as low as ZERO tip.

If you ****ing leave me at the table for a good hour waiting for my ****ing food or check, not only won't i tip you, i'll go get your manager and let him know how **** you are.

Meritocracy, that's how it should work.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #130
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

15-20% for food service. One quip about this: I absolutely despise receipts on credit card bills that have a "tip" line when the restaurant does NOT have a wait staff NOR a delivery staff. There is a local sandwich shop here (think subway) that has a f-ing tip line on the receipt that suckers me everytime.

$1 per drink at a bar. Which brings me to another story. For my brother's bachelor party, we went out in downtown Denver. Right off the bat, I ordered 8 shots of Patron for $60. This was at like 6 PM, so we were literally the only people there at that time in a huge bar (it was the Tavern in Denver if anyone is familiar). I gave the bartender girl a $10 tip, she scowls at me and says "That's it? The tab was $60, that's not even 20%!".... I've never yanked a $10 bill off the table so fast in my life. THEN my brother gives me an extra $5 to go back to her to apologize and give her $15. I was blown away.

$5 for a haircut.

Cabbies are a different beast. I've only taken about 25 cab rides in my life though. I learned quickly that I should know the routes to where I am going before I get into a cab, or else they drive around for 45 min and run up the tab. Now, I pretend I'm a tourist anyway. If they bring me straight to the destination like a good boy, generally I throw $10 their way. If they drive around in circles for 45 min, I stiff 'em, and tell them I knew where I was going the whole time but nice try.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #131
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I always go over 20%. It has to be an intentional ****ing disaster for me to go any lower.

I just figure that extra couple dollars means a lot more to them than it does to me.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #132
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Lou Ferigno will hulk smash you cheap bastards

Attachment 32073

http://www.thefrisky.com/2013-02-08/...s-110-percent/

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 10-18-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #133
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If I'm paying working wages for an hour at a table, I expect to have a worker sitting next to my table the whole time.

My waitress is sometimes not available to fill my drink instantly because she has many tables. As such, I'm not expected to pay her full pay. Solid service usually gets about 15%. I've gone substantially higher if I really like the person but I'm not gonna go overboard out of some debt I feel to them. If their job is ****ty, they should take that up with whoever forced them to work there.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #134
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
As the off season has truly begun, I figured I would throw this out there. Growing up, I had several sisters who had jobs as waitresses. So, I knew the importance of tips to their livelihoods. But, even so, I was always raised with the impression that no matter how bad the service, I should at least leave 10%, that around 15% was standard, and 20% if I felt I received very good service. I mentioned this on another message board and was excoriated for it as a cheapskate that didn't deserve to dine out. I was further informed that anyone who left below 18% was scum of the earth.

So, honestly, when did 18% become the minimum mandatory tipping point for a night out? When did tipping go from being a way to reward good service, to a mandatory fee for the pleasure of some stranger bringing me food, on top of the restaurant charging me $25 for five bucks worth of steak.

There isn't a mandatory %.....but God forbid you say that to those in the service industry.....they like many Americans feel their earnings are an entitlement. they never understand that their income is based on the opinion of the person being served, not the person doing the serving.

Servers are generally so full of themselves, I've yet to meet one who doesn't think they always give good service when the truth is if they did, they would never be b****ing about their tips.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #135
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Wow... I was always raised on the 15% for good service, 10% for meh and 20% for amazingly good.

People who aren't loaded or at an insanely high scale restaurant tipping 30% blows my mind.

Must be an East Coast thing or something. That or things have evolved and I just never caught on.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #136
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
20% is standard, not 18. Don't be cheap, this is how servers make a living...

Now delivery guys on the other hand....
So what? If they're so concerned about their earnings perhaps they should make sure that they give every table equal amounts of time and quality service.....

I've been in sports bars watching the game, and they have practically ignored me because they see one person who might be spending $20 vs. a table of 4-5-6 who are drinking and figure that drunks spending more $$$ equals bigger tip....but then act shocked if I stiff them for ignoring me.

Last edited by errand; 02-08-2013 at 05:47 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #137
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
This makes me cringe and is frankly insulting; this kind of joke only flies in insular business communities. As if there's something ignoble about trying to develop a career out of meaningful work or something one's passionate about, and finding you have to supplement it with waiting tables. Poor form.
Thy doth protest to much me thinks.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #138
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Lou Ferigno will hulk smash you cheap bastards

Attachment 32073

http://www.thefrisky.com/2013-02-08/...s-110-percent/
FYI this guy is a douche.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #139
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
FYI this guy is a douche.
Lou Ferrigno? One of my friends consistently harassed him at the nerdy conventions for a few years (in a joking way). He was always cool. Unfortunately the videos seem to have dropped off the face of the internet.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #140
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

I tip 20% at least 80% of the time. 15% if service was bad. I suppose 10% if the service was absolutely dog****.

When I was a waiter in 2006 I made $3.13 a hour while minimum wage in CO was well over double that. If you aren't tipping your waiter at least 15%, they are paying for part of your meal.

So don't be a dick, tip your waiters.
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #141
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Tip your waiters and bartenders well, it pays you off in the future.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #142
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Here in Tucson I usually get ****ty service so I rarely tip more than $5. I usually always sit and wait for longer than I should for a re-fill on my drink. Take forever to come take my order etc. I hate crappy customer service. If bad enough I won't tip at all. Maybe getting a $0 tip should be a wake up call.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #143
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
And trust me, most servers have a second job or go to school, because it is difficult to make a living-wage exclusively waiting tables five days a week..
The servers I know that work at chart house and a few other top end restaurants pull 60-80k for only a couple hours a night. They are far from starving. Now I'm sure Denny's and low end places that aren't busy may be different but the high end deals pay well job openings are rare. With that being said I tip 20 percent or more. Even crappy service I'll do 10-15 unless they were completely rude with bad service which doesn't happen often.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 02-08-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #144
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
As the off season has truly begun, I figured I would throw this out there. Growing up, I had several sisters who had jobs as waitresses. So, I knew the importance of tips to their livelihoods. But, even so, I was always raised with the impression that no matter how bad the service, I should at least leave 10%, that around 15% was standard, and 20% if I felt I received very good service. I mentioned this on another message board and was excoriated for it as a cheapskate that didn't deserve to dine out. I was further informed that anyone who left below 18% was scum of the earth.

So, honestly, when did 18% become the minimum mandatory tipping point for a night out? When did tipping go from being a way to reward good service, to a mandatory fee for the pleasure of some stranger bringing me food, on top of the restaurant charging me $25 for five bucks worth of steak.
I was raised with the idea that 15% is a lunch time tip while 20% is a dinner tip. The service will always dictate how much the tip is, of course. However, if the wait staff did a good job it was 15 or 20 depending on which meal was being served and how it was being served (if you went to the buffet to stuff your face or had to walk up to a window to pick up your order, the tip rules changed).
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #145
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
I tip 20% at least 80% of the time. 15% if service was bad. I suppose 10% if the service was absolutely dog****.

When I was a waiter in 2006 I made $3.13 a hour while minimum wage in CO was well over double that. If you aren't tipping your waiter at least 15%, they are paying for part of your meal.

So don't be a dick, tip your waiters.
There must be a disconnect here. What do you think waitresses deserve to make in an hour?
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #146
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
The servers I know that work at chart house and a few other top end restaurants pull 60-80k for only a couple hours a night. They are far from starving. Now I'm sure Denny's and low end places that aren't busy may be different but the high end deals pay well job openings are rare. With that being said I tip 20 percent or more. Even crappy service I'll do 10-15 unless they were completely rude with bad service which doesn't happen often.
Never been big on Chart House. Or Mastros for that matter. Always been a Ruths Chris guy when it comes to the high end "chains". I like 3 Forks a lot too.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #147
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
There must be a disconnect here. What do you think waitresses deserve to make in an hour?

I all around don't understand your question. Who is disconnected, you or me? Do you mean someone serving you food? Or a waiter vs. waitress? It almost sounded like you thought $3.13 was reasonable hourly wage. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that that is not the case. Please elaborate.
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #148
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Here in Tucson I usually get ****ty service so I rarely tip more than $5. I usually always sit and wait for longer than I should for a re-fill on my drink. Take forever to come take my order etc. I hate crappy customer service. If bad enough I won't tip at all. Maybe getting a $0 tip should be a wake up call.
Where are you going out for drinks or eats? I always used to go out to Famous Sams on Pima rd when I lived in Tucson because there were so many Broncos fans that came in to watch games. It was just a fun experience. Great bar food too. The service however was the worst I've seen anywhere my whole life. It didn't matter if the place was full or there were 20 people in there. There were a couple of servers that were always coked out as well. If not for the experience there, I'd have never continued to come.

I recently had some **** service out in Rockford during the Bucs game and the server bought my 1st 2 drinks. That definitely made me forget about it!

Anybody that has worked in food service generally has a different appreciation for the whole tipping thing. Years ago I did not until I worked in bars/restaurants for a few years.

This whole thread is overrated......
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #149
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
One thing i recently found out is that sonic, americas drive in, pay based on tips, so they get the 3 dollar or whatever wage. which is really kind of sad, its fast food as far as im concerned.
OH ****! I purposely get out of my car and order from the front just so I avoid have to tip and didn't realize they are getting hammered because of that. Their business is not set up to order from a window. I feel bad for the servers if they are getting minimum wage and I wonder if they get decent tips to work there instead of McDonalds.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #150
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
So what? If they're so concerned about their earnings perhaps they should make sure that they give every table equal amounts of time and quality service.....

I've been in sports bars watching the game, and they have practically ignored me because they see one person who might be spending $20 vs. a table of 4-5-6 who are drinking and figure that drunks spending more $$$ equals bigger tip....but then act shocked if I stiff them for ignoring me.
That reminds me of one more thing, sport bars. If you are there for 3 hours and spent $20, you should be tipping $5-$10 for taking up a table while you nurse 3 beers. I always consider taking up a servers time that is not a normal 45-60 minutes for a dinner.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote