The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #76
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
I have a 2001 MR2 with a turbo added. Ridiculously fast and handles better than anything else I've ever driven. It only has 2 seats and absolutely no cargo room, though.

I can get close to 40 mpg if I drive responsibly. Somehow that never happens, though, so it's more like 30-35 mpg.
I have a Miata and LOVE it.

Handles great, is zippy and gets good fuel economy-- 31/hwy, 26/city

If you need a lot of passenger room or trunk space, however, you're **** out of luck.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #77
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

CTS-V or GTFO!
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #78
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by waz06 View Post
What the hell? We are already on page 3 and not a single mention of a Vette. For 40k you can pick up a used Corvette ZO6 with performance that will embarass most expensive european supercars.
Not many people realize that the newer vettes get great gas mileage too. I get above 20 mpg when I keep my speed below 3 digits. (and it takes great restraint to do this because it is so quick to get past 100). And get a good radar detector like BEL electronics or Valentine 1 or you will lose your license.
Yes it is a 2 seater but you can always borrow back the Yukon from your son if you need to haul more .
Try to test drive a ZO6 and take it out on some winding road. The car has almost a 50/50 front to rear weight distribution plus its low profile and big fat tires allows it to take curves easily. And its lightning quick acceleration will leave a silly grin on your face.

did not see broncojef's post above
Historically, wheelbase issues have kept 'vettes from having great handling. Fast? You bet! But lack the maneuverability of plenty of other sports cars.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #79
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have a friend with a Porsche Cayman...

It has the same chassis as the Boxter, but looks more like a 911, and is fast and handles like a dream. Used, you can easily get one for $35K in great shape.

Only a 2 seater, but at least (as a mid-engine) has both a front and rear trunk.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #80
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post
They're planning on introducing a new version of the Tesla at less than 60k.... might be worth looking into. I'm not sure if it's been rolled out yet. I took a class on venture capital as an undergrad and I did a profile on Elon Musk. The man is a genius.
Well **** then Smurf! His kid is getting ready to drive so why not buy him a $60k car!

Go with the Gremlin. Stylish, very much a classic, fast and good gas mileage. If it was good enough to be highly featured in a Mike Myers movie, it should be good enough for your kid.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 02-08-2013 at 09:31 AM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #81
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 'Dre View Post

If you need a lot of passenger room or trunk space, however, you're **** out of luck.
I have never driven anything so fun. At first, it seemed too impractical, but after a while I realized that I never use my back seat. We have a minivan to carry the kids around, so even if I did have a back seat, we wouldn't all cram into a small 4 door when we could have much more space. I don't know about turbos on Miatas, but the MR2 is an entirely different car with it.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #82
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

...and it lets every dude know that you are totally available. Miata? I had a girlfriend who got one when they first came out. Within a year I got her to turn it in for a 240 SX. One hydroplaning helped her to agree.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #83
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

1988 Buick Grand National with a supercharger. We call it "mashing."
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #84
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Hey, even Bill Romanowski drives a Miata.......(granted he was playing a flaming gay guy in the movie The Benchwarmers, but still).
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #85
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
...and it lets every dude know that you are totally available. Miata? I had a girlfriend who got one when they first came out. Within a year I got her to turn it in for a 240 SX. One hydroplaning helped her to agree.
What can I say? I'm secure in my gender identity, and don't feel like a Miata makes me 'feminine'.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #86
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
What can I say? I'm secure in my gender identity, and don't feel like a Miata makes me 'feminine'.
Oh, I agree. You totally would have to when driving the Miata. By any chance, when you bought it, did you trade it in with a Volkswagen Cabriolet Convertible?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #87
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

cars are for girls, dudes drive trucks. nuff said
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #88
Tom A Hawk
Ring of Famer

get one of these
Mercedes Benz C350 coupe
305 HP V6
30+ on highway
I average 26...drive back and forth to work city/hiway.
I traded a GT Mustang (2005).
Attached Images

Tom A Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #89
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Oh, I agree. You totally would have to when driving the Miata. By any chance, when you bought it, did you trade it in with a Volkswagen Cabriolet Convertible?
No, a Mazda Rx7. Nowhere NEAR as fun a driving experience.

Clerarly, YOU would be uncomfortable being seen driving a Miata. What does it matter to you if some fellow drivers conclude you might be gay because of the car you're driving? 'Fraid they'll run you off the road and try to seduce you?

Last edited by Captain 'Dre; 02-08-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #90
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
My family has owned a 928, a 928S and a 928GTS over the years, along with various and asundry 911 models of all kinds, a 914-6 (which we dropped a bigger boxer engine into for racing purposes), a even a 924S. I have a family member who just got a twin turbo Cayenne that's a freaking rocket ship.
Mine was the 928S. I saw it in Scarface and fell in love with it back in HS. Funny thing was when I went to buy a car I wasn't thinking I had to have a 928 I looked at a new 1989 Mustang GT and figured for about the same money I could have a 928 so I did that. I probably should have bought a more practical daily driver but I was young, very young.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #91
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

You at least owe it to yourself to try the 370z. I can guarantee you will not find a faster, better performing "sports car" in that price range. You can get 29 to 30 mpg on the higher probably more if you pay attention.
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #92
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

One of the best older used cars for the money is an E39 M5 BMW (1998-2003).

First of all it's a saloon, so the insurance is more reasonable. Secondly, it has a 400 bhp V8, along with all of the handling you'd expect from an M series. The E39 is also exceptional even by M-Series standards. You'll get 22-25 MPG if you drive fairly conservatively, which is hard when a car is this ****ing awesome.

An E39 in decent shape with decent miles can be had for between 15-20K depending on where you live.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #93
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

I've really enjoyed my Evo X. 325hp and tq as it stands right now, but with a conservative tune once I buy an ecu cable I should be at 375-400 hp and tq. All wheel drive is a godsend if you live in winter climates and it pulls 1g stock on the skidpad. Plus 4 doors and a trunk are convenient if you plan on living with the car as a daily driver. Around town I average about 22mpg but if your cruising on the freeway you should be getting at least 26mpg.

You should be able to find a non-molested one with relatively lower miles for 22-25k.

srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #94
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Hargrove, your best bet is go to new car dealerships like BMW, Acura, Mercedes, Lexus, whatever and test drive the many used cars they have. You'll find a huge selection of nice vehicles and they're plenty happy to let you run them around.

Here's some good websites for research:

http://www.caranddriver.com/

http://www.motortrend.com/

http://www.autoweek.com/

edmunds.com and kbb.com have nice resources also, and you can do sortable side-by-side comparisons between vehicles that give you all the data about headroom, trunk space, all the data.

For reliability stats, Consumer Reports is the bible, it will cost you about $30 for a one-year online subscription but well worth the money.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #95
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by srphoenix View Post
I've really enjoyed my Evo X. 325hp and tq as it stands right now, but with a conservative tune once I buy an ecu cable I should be at 375-400 hp and tq. All wheel drive is a godsend if you live in winter climates and it pulls 1g stock on the skidpad. Plus 4 doors and a trunk are convenient if you plan on living with the car as a daily driver. Around town I average about 22mpg but if your cruising on the freeway you should be getting at least 26mpg.

You should be able to find a non-molested one with relatively lower miles for 22-25k.

Si. Love this car. Talk about bang for the buck, AWD, good looks, 4 door and you can get it with a stick or paddle shifter. Very nice. You can probably get a brand new one for less than $40k.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #96
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Let us know what you get.

Oh, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...3zEihXk6c&NR=1

Last edited by loborugger; 02-09-2013 at 09:35 PM..
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #97
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1971 View Post
Audi S6
I have an Audi A5 prestige series. 4 cyl turbo, 8 speed transimission AWD. when the turbo kicks in it is rocket fast.

Gets over 35 on the highway about 25 in town and has every option known to Audi on it. Ricaro racing seats, have had it above 140 with loads of RPM left. Drives turns like your on rails.

Have seen the A6 and they are more for the family man. Outstanding cars that Audi puts out.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #98
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Go Audi ... Can't go wrong! Give us a price range for starters.

You want fun ... An R8-GT is fun will set you back $228,000 with ceramic brakes and the 560hp V10 ... Not much room for the kids but you and the Misses will have a scream in' good time and look very good will doing it...

A 2012/13 S4 (my ride) S5 or an A6 can all be had for around $53k to $57k with Audi's wonderful Supercharged V6 333HP- 325lb torque with fabulous handling and ride ... Make sure and get the optional rear sports differential with Quattro ... Can't beat it for staying glued to winding mountain roads at speed.

Last edited by Hulamau; 02-10-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #99
lolcopter

Scion fr-s

Last edited by lolcopter; 02-10-2013 at 07:57 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #100
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Go Audi ... Can't go wrong! Give us a price range for starters.

You want fun ... An R8-GT is fun will set you back $228,000 with ceramic brakes and the 560hp V10 ... Not much room for the kids but you and the Misses will have a scream in' good time and look very good will doing it...

A 2012/13 S4 (my ride) S5 or an A6 can all be had for around $53k with Audi's wonderful Supercharged V6 333HP- 325lb torque with fabulous handling and ride ... Make sure and get the optional rear sports differential with Quattro ... Can't beat it for staying glued to winding mountain roads at speed.
He said it had to be under 40K
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote