The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #51
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
My 2nd car was a used 928 I think it was an '83. I loved that car, that engine is still probably out on the street running. I couldn't afford to keep it nice at the time, stuff like the sun roof broke down (though they did include a manual crank which I thought was cool) and I needed to drive 35 miles to a new job in bad weather conditions so I sold it and bought a 4x4. I should have kept it. The couple bad snow days we had I was the only idiot who made it in, everyone else got the day off. I would buy another one if the wife would let me have a 3rd car.
My family has owned a 928, a 928S and a 928GTS over the years, along with various and asundry 911 models of all kinds, a 914-6 (which we dropped a bigger boxer engine into for racing purposes), a even a 924S. I have a family member who just got a twin turbo Cayenne that's a freaking rocket ship.

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 02-07-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #52
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
No, I think I'm with you. I want to find something fun, but I'm looking to keep the whole package under 40k. Some of the suggestions here seem a bit over my budget.
Build a 3 series on the BMW website. You can get into a 325i with coldweather package leather seats for a couple grand under that.

The killer is when you start adding the Nav and trim upgrades.

For the hell of it I just priced out a 320i (they must not offer the 325i anymore) with cold weather ($950) and the Premium package ($3,200) for $39,595.

People get scared off by the badge but they are still a reasonable car to get into. If you figure to have it for a long time like I did and you get 10-15 years out of it, it is well worth the investment.

Plus they sell a cheaper 1 series now, if your getting on becoming an empty nester and don't need a lot of space.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #53
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
I don't think it could hold its own against the sti, cts-v, or cobra.
No but the M3 will However, none of the aforementioned are going to be gas friendly, most are going to need premium fuel as well.

I also prefer the Audi S6 though AK
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #54
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Seriously though, buy a used BMW M5 or Audi S6 with a certified warranty. Best deal you will ever get. Both are rediculous values as they will last forever and they drive like they were built to cruise at 150 MPH on the AutoBahn. Going 90 on the highway is like doing 55 in an american or japanese car. Just test drive one before you buy. The 2010 models are nice and around 40K locally.

Look for cars coming off leases and haggle. That's what I do. Had my last 2 German cars for 12 and 13 years respectively and My mechanic bought both of them from me they were in such excellent shape.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #55
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

370z

Under 35k and drives great. I really can't think of another sports car under 35k I could even compare it too
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #56
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

There's lots of good advice for hargrove on this thread.

Me, I'd like to own a Porsche 928 sometime. The engine note on those is distinctive, like the Ferrari V-12's, the Honda CBX. The engine note turns your head, you hear it and your head snaps around to see what produced that sound. You want to own a vehicle sometime in your life that snaps heads like that.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #57
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

With the new Corvette C7 on the way C6s can be had very cheap. Base models have 450hp and a v8 that gets me 20mpg city and 28mpg highway. I bet you could pick-up a base model for low40s or a vert mid 40s, should be some good deals out there.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #58
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

I own a cts-v, a lot of fun, same engine as the zr1 but weighs a lot more. I took my buddies breath away the first test drive I gave him. I highly recommend this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
The CTS-V is one bad mother, I would take over a 3 series any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Supercharged 6.2L V8 putting down 556 horse power and 551 ft lbs of torque... A 3 class dreams about those kinds of numbers.

19x10'" wheels with monster 285/35/19 Michelin pilot's

Read the following link, 190mph with the 6 speed manual transmission and the following quote, " the company held nothing back in the ride and handling department. For those forgetting, the four-door version was the first sedan to crack 8 minutes around the infamous Nürburgring, and was the fastest four-door in the world for a few years, until the new 2012 M5 gave the ‘Ring a run, which is said to be a few seconds faster around the track.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2011/11/...c-cts-v-coupe/
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #59
wandlc
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

BMW 335D, good performance, comfort, and fuel economy.
wandlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #60
waz06
Orange blooded speedhound

I feel the need

What the hell? We are already on page 3 and not a single mention of a Vette. For 40k you can pick up a used Corvette ZO6 with performance that will embarass most expensive european supercars.
Not many people realize that the newer vettes get great gas mileage too. I get above 20 mpg when I keep my speed below 3 digits. (and it takes great restraint to do this because it is so quick to get past 100). And get a good radar detector like BEL electronics or Valentine 1 or you will lose your license.
Yes it is a 2 seater but you can always borrow back the Yukon from your son if you need to haul more .
Try to test drive a ZO6 and take it out on some winding road. The car has almost a 50/50 front to rear weight distribution plus its low profile and big fat tires allows it to take curves easily. And its lightning quick acceleration will leave a silly grin on your face.

did not see broncojef's post above

Last edited by waz06; 02-07-2013 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: ha ha did not see broncojef's post above
waz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #61
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by waz06 View Post
What the hell? We are already on page 3 and not a single mention of a Vette. For 40k you can pick up a used Corvette ZO6 with performance that will embarass most expensive european supercars.
Not many people realize that the newer vettes get great gas mileage too. I get above 20 mpg when I keep my speed below 3 digits. (and it takes great restraint to do this because it is so quick to get past 100). And get a good radar detector like BEL electronics or Valentine 1 or you will lose your license.
Yes it is a 2 seater but you can always borrow back the Yukon from your son if you need to haul more .
Try to test drive a ZO6 and take it out on some winding road. The car has almost a 50/50 front to rear weight distribution plus its low profile and big fat tires allows it to take curves easily. And its lightning quick acceleration will leave a silly grin on your face.

did not see broncojef's post above
And that is the problem right there. You get two people and a sandwich in the car. You can't even get a change of clothes in the car for an overnight trip.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #62
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
No, I think I'm with you. I want to find something fun, but I'm looking to keep the whole package under 40k. Some of the suggestions here seem a bit over my budget.
Couple questions... are you looking new, used, and have you considered leasing? ANYTHING is going to be better than your Yukon on gas, but is there a certain range you want to be in mileage wise?

Last edited by Boobs McGee; 02-07-2013 at 11:53 PM..
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #63
Bighorn
Just Drafted

Orange & Blue Since 72

Ever think about an SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee? They are all wheel drive Almost 500hp. They are pretty sweet. A buddy of mine has one and its funny as hell when we pull up beside people with "hotrods" and blow their doors off with grandmas Grand Cherokee!! Dodge and Chrysler have come a long ways. The new Dart has a performance edition as well as the SRT8 Challenger.
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #64
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn View Post
Ever think about an SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee? They are all wheel drive Almost 500hp. They are pretty sweet. A buddy of mine has one and its funny as hell when we pull up beside people with "hotrods" and blow their doors off with grandmas Grand Cherokee!! Dodge and Chrysler have come a long ways. The new Dart has a performance edition as well as the SRT8 Challenger.
Ummmmm, did you miss his one major criteria?

Quote:
I would also like something with the best city mileage I can get.
The SRT8: 12 mpg in the city......if you're lucky.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #65
Bighorn
Just Drafted

Orange & Blue Since 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

I saw that. But what kind of mileage do you think a Vet gets?? If you want a fast car your going to have to burn fuel. It's not like the old days when gas was orange had lead in it and you could get 20mpg with a muscle car. Im just a big advocate of cars built in Detroit.
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #66
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

There are great cars mentioned here, just promise me you will at least drive an M3 or M5 before you buy something else. I was not convinced until I drove it. Stats are for sports, cars are all about looks, feel, and drivability. I love mine, just drive it
Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #67
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I saw that. But what kind of mileage do you think a Vet gets??

And that was also a piss poor suggestion IMO, given the OP's criteria.

Quote:
If you want a fast car your going to have to burn fuel. It's not like the old days when gas was orange had lead in it and you could get 20mpg with a muscle car. Im just a big advocate of cars built in Detroit.
There are PLENTY of fast vehicles out there today that get 20+ mpg in the city. Hell, there are non turbo 4 cylinder cars out there today that go FAR faster than anyone could ever go in real life. They may not be as flashy as the examples given here, but the OP never said anything about it having to look flashy.

Burning fuel is one thing. Burning a gallon every 10 miles or so is another.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #68
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

The M5s and CTS-Vs are right there too, 14 each. I don't know what kind of room he wants, but to get fast, fun and fuel efficient, smaller is always better.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #69
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Let's just be honest. If all you really want is fast, fun and fuel efficient, go spend $20-25K at a Mazda dealership and call it a day. If you're looking for more of a status symbol and are willing to spend more and sacrifice the fuel efficiency, then this thread has you more than covered.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #70
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Let's just be honest. If all you really want is fast, fun and fuel efficient, go spend $20-25K at a Mazda dealership and call it a day. If you're looking for more of a status symbol and are willing to spend more and sacrifice the fuel efficiency, then this thread has you more than covered.
Yep.

However, his wife told him to get a fast car. I know I'm generalizing, but that could easily mean "nice car." If he has $40k to spend and she has an interest in what he's driving, I don't think she wants her husband in a Mazda.

Or maybe I'm way off. Completely possible.

Also, he mentioned that he was looking at a convertible.

I might suggest a slightly used Boxster, unless a back seat is important. A little better gas mileage than the V6 Mustang, looks good, very fun to drive.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #71
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

You're on the right track with the Mustang. I miss my old Acura CL Type S (V6 260hp), that sucker was fast and still got 22/30. Had to sell it because kids car seats don't go in those. Too bad they stopped making them. I don't think Acura makes a true coupe anymore.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #72
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

BMW 335 or the 1 series twin turbo six, OR the M's (used), Subaru wrx sti, mitsubishi lancer evo, hyundai genesis r spec, ford taurus sho or the mustang, challenger srt8, any AMG mercedes, the sky is really the limit for $40k. One thing you might look into, is the Dinan upgrades for BMW. Ridiculous power, but pricey. Honestly, for the money though, the Subaru and Mitsi are two of the easiest to upgrade, fastest, and moderately priced out of the group.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #73
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

Find you a nice used reliable Mazda, Toyota or Honda for 5k to 10 k. Pay cash, free yourself from slavery to the banks, work less and live more.
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #74
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I now have three (almost grown) kids, and spent the last couple decades driving the obligatory minivans, SUV's, and cars that make great family sense.

I actually grew up going to Mustang shows with some family friends, and really had some love for american muscle cars (especially Fords). As a matter of fact, it is still a long term dream for me to build my own 427 Shelby Cobra kit, but that will have to wait until all three boys have finished college (time sink, money sink). Also, with gas at $3.50 per gallon it just doesn't make econmical sense for me right now.

So, this go around, I definitely have my eye on something a little more fun. I would still like a back seat when necessary, but it doesn't have to be super comfortable or large (even though my oldest son is 6'4" 340 - this isn't for him!). I want something that will be fun around town, maybe a little flashy, but could also get good highway mileage as my wife and I like to take short weekend trips. So, several of the suggestions have got me looking in new directions. It's nice to hear what models people are really happy with long-term since I tend to own a car for about 10 years (passing down the family line).

If there are any more suggestions, keep 'em coming. I'm already checking out several of the models discussed here.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #75
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

How much does a new GTR go for? that thing is a ****ing monster. If you want to go cheaper, go with an older Supra, put twin turbos on the V6 and you should get around 400-450 BHP and a sweet soundtrack.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote