The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default Are we still racist? - Rooney Rule

"Obviously, it's not working the way it should."


- Tony Dungy


Working the way it should? What does this even mean... aka rooney rule = hire more black coaches?

Are we (society) still racist?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89...ey-rule-broken
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,289

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

I remember the comment. I believe Dungy was making the point that the NFL is still kind of a good ol' boys network, and teams want experience... and because of past norms, it's hard to find a black coach with the right experience to be an NFL coach.

Dungy even said he wouldn't be a good coach anymore, but if he threw his name in, he would get some offers just because he's a "big name."

That's what it comes down to: teams want big names, and there just aren't many black "big names" yet.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

i can see that... to a point i suppose
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Of course there is. But it's still here because they want to make an issue of it.

Hiring the candidate you want based on whether you like him is not racist. Making an issue of that person not being black is though.

I wonder how racist it would be to see a "whitepeoplemeet.com" TV commercial. I just saw a "blackpeoplemeet.com" one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,893

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

It is a glass ceiling, it exists in many different forms in different businesses. Old white guys tend to hire young white guys, often guys they are related to, that means you have an abundance of young white guys in position to get experience and when you go to hire a new old guy, you look at the current group of young guys with sufficient experience, the majority of which are white. If 50% of all first time front office and coach hires were minority candidates, it would take about 25 years before we would begin to see the results in head coaching and general manager positions.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

The league isn't hiring enough white cornerbacks. Clearly the "David Duke" rule isn't working.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

The NFL owners should just interview snoop dog to fullfill the rule.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I dont think the color of someone's skin helps a team win a ****ing football game. It's ridiculous. Are there more singletarys than Tomlins? You bet. Just like theres more manginis than harbaughs. Succeed in the football world you get hired. Saying you can't win with Vernon Davis you get fired.

Whenever these questions come up it can easily be answered with the doctor theory. Would you want a doctor who went to school based on his grades and was hired for his doc smarts, or would you go to a doctor who got accepted at a school based on his color, and was hired for that reason?

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 01-31-2013 at 05:39 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
R-Mac
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

The Rooney Rule is racist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9,860

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

I was married to to mixed race woman (1/2 black, 1/2 white) for 12 years so I think that clearly indicates I'm not racist but I've never liked this rule. It's ok for 75% of the NFL players to be black (what, maybe 90% of NBA players are black) and there is no rule that says you must at least try out 1 white guy for that position first. I don't think this rule works and it's stupid. NFL owners want 2 things, money and rings. If it was a black HC winning them championships, they would be be loving life. We've seen white coaches canned after 1 year. It's a what have you done for me lately league and black or white HC, if you don't win, you're not going to be a coach long.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,289

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I dont think the color of someone's skin helps a team win a ****ing football game. It's ridiculous. Are there more singletarys than Tomlins? You bet. Just like theres more manginis than harbaughs. Succeed in the football world you get hired. Saying you can't win with Vernon Davis you get fired.

Whenever these questions come up it can easily be answered with the doctor theory. Would you want a doctor who went to school based on his grades and was hired for his doc smarts, or would you go to a doctor who got accepted at a school based on his color, and was hired for that reason?
I've never met a doctor/med student that got into school or a job because of his race.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,289

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
The league isn't hiring enough white cornerbacks. Clearly the "David Duke" rule isn't working.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,154

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

My gut instinct tells me that this isn't racist, because the NFL generally rewards based on performance (though the same old tired names tend to be recycled, though i dont think thats a race issue.) But there are a paltry amount of minority head coaches for whatever reason. If there were great black coordinators constantly getting overlooked, that'd be one thing, but I dont think there are? Then again, I guess you can ask the question of why there aren't so many black coordinators and so on.

But of course society is still racist...thats not even a question.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer
 
Bigdawg26's Avatar
 
Just let it happen!!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,943

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I was married to to mixed race woman (1/2 black, 1/2 white) for 12 years so I think that clearly indicates I'm not racist but I've never liked this rule. It's ok for 75% of the NFL players to be black (what, maybe 90% of NBA players are black) and there is no rule that says you must at least try out 1 white guy for that position first. I don't think this rule works and it's stupid. NFL owners want 2 things, money and rings. If it was a black HC winning them championships, they would be be loving life. We've seen white coaches canned after 1 year. It's a what have you done for me lately league and black or white HC, if you don't win, you're not going to be a coach long.
OK dude when you have to justified your response by saying you were married to a mixed race girl isn't a good justification of saying your not racist. It's like saying "I'm not racist I got a three black friends!" You make a good point of 75% of the players are black but how many owners are executives are?? Not many! John Elway was a great quarterback turned great executive but I don't see Warren Moon or Randall Cunningham getting any calls! I heard the Dungy interview and agree with him and I see your point. I think the Rooney rule is BS too. Teams already know how they are going to hire, but they have to interview a minority anyway. It's BS!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,623

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

It's a business. Teams should be able to hire anyone they want and not forced to interview any potential canidates.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,709

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Sports is the ultimate performance based product in the US. The performance is also easily very quantifiable with wins and loses. And with the amount $$$ involved in pro sports these days, no owner worth owning a team & no fan base is gonna to give a damn about the skin color of the head coach.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,859

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
It's a business. Teams should be able to hire anyone they want and not forced to interview any potential canidates.
No, the NFL is a business. The teams are just franchises under the umbrella. There are rules they have to follow that are agreed to by the collective.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,623

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

No **** sherlock. The point is that I don't agree with the rule.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,565

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
OK dude when you have to justified your response by saying you were married to a mixed race girl isn't a good justification of saying your not racist. It's like saying "I'm not racist I got a three black friends!" You make a good point of 75% of the players are black but how many owners are executives are?? Not many! John Elway was a great quarterback turned great executive but I don't see Warren Moon or Randall Cunningham getting any calls! I heard the Dungy interview and agree with him and I see your point. I think the Rooney rule is BS too. Teams already know how they are going to hire, but they have to interview a minority anyway. It's BS!
Is there a website that has a list of former players being offered or turning down jobs I'm not aware of?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,095

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Of course there is. But it's still here because they want to make an issue of it.

Hiring the candidate you want based on whether you like him is not racist. Making an issue of that person not being black is though.

I wonder how racist it would be to see a "whitepeoplemeet.com" TV commercial. I just saw a "blackpeoplemeet.com" one.
Exactly. There's racism because people constantly bring it up. It'd be nice if we as a society could leave it all in the past and move on.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer
 
Bigdawg26's Avatar
 
Just let it happen!!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,943

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Is there a website that has a list of former players being offered or turning down jobs I'm not aware of?
I don't think so. But I do believe that Charlie Strong, Kevin Sumlin, and David Shaw will get alot of looks in the next two seasons from the college level. They have big enough names.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #22
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post
I've never met a doctor/med student that got into school or a job because of his race.
Affirmative action says hello. There's plenty of examples of a higher qualified getting the shaft due to another applicants skin color.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...BmAzAfsH4dZPtA

It's a long article but this is described under "race preference is bad" section.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,804

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-BR View Post
The Rooney Rule is racist.
This.

**** like this just ups the whole entitlement mentality.

We're all human. **** this race ****. This isn't the 50's -60's anymore.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #24
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Of course there is. But it's still here because they want to make an issue of it.

Hiring the candidate you want based on whether you like him is not racist. Making an issue of that person not being black is though.

I wonder how racist it would be to see a "whitepeoplemeet.com" TV commercial. I just saw a "blackpeoplemeet.com" one.
I saw on a can of doctor pepper that a Hispanic lady won a scholarship.... she wanted to be a judge so she can make an impact in the Hispanic community....

now imagine if a white person had won the scholarship and said the exact same thing about making an impact in the Caucasian community.... you would have white people saying that person was racist
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post
I've never met a doctor/med student that got into school or a job because of his race.
.... You need to get out more often
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Denver Broncos