The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Default OT- TV Choices

Ok...Just got notice from Dish in the mail that they are going to be raising my monthly bill by $5. I'm wondering if the collected wisdom on this board might be able to help me find an alternative to TV viewing.

I've got two kids, 11 and 9, who basically watch nothing but Nick (Spongebob), Disney (Gravity Falls) and Cartoon Network (Amazing World of Gumball). I mainly watch local TV for the news. I also like Discovery, History and older shows like "Andy Griffith."

Is there anything more economical? Maybe hook up an HD antenna for local stuff and then subscribe to something like NetFlix or Amazon or whatever via my PS3?

Just tired of being soaked every month for something I rarely use.

Thanks in advance, Maniacs!
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

HD Antenna, Amazon Prime, and Netflix.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Pretty much what I was thinking....Does the subscription services have enough for the kids? And is the quality any good?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Amazon has HD streaming for an extra $1 per movie.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quality is fine. I don't have kids though so someone else would have to chime in.

If you have an xbox you can get espn360 if your internet provider qualifies(college basketball, college football, NBA, tennis, golf, etc).
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

For some reason i cant pull the trigger on getting rid of cable. I dont know what it is. I should at this point. I think i like having the tv on in the background
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

What I can tell you is that both netflix and Amazon Prime offer a plethora of kids shows. What they are, I do not know.

As for local, with an HD antenna, I pick up all the local Denver channels just great. I've also seen recently on CNET or something that there is a simple over the air DVR unit you can purchase now, but its only for over the air signal.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
This (though we haven't had to sign up for Netflix yet)
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
For some reason i cant pull the trigger on getting rid of cable. I dont know what it is. I should at this point. I think i like having the tv on in the background
I feel ya. I'm finding it difficult to let go, too. But I just can't stand forking over $65+ bucks every month (what is that?...$780 a year!!!) for something I just don't use that often. The kids have so much homework, piano practice, punishment, Nintendo, etc. that the TV is rarely watched except for the Spongebob reruns. I could save a ton just buying the seasons for their favorite shows on DVD Blueray and be done with it. For me, I mainly stick to broadcast TV anyway and I can always watch reruns on Project TV or maybe one of those services (Netflix or Amazon). The documentaries I like are largely on YouTube and probably on those services as well. So...in the long run it may be wise just to bite the bullet and pull the plug. As long as I don't miss my Broncos games, I should be good.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Is there a type of HD antenna I should be looking for? Can't put anything on top of the house and don't want to drill holes to run cable from the basement up two flights to the attic! Are any of those indoor ones any good??
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeatheist View Post
I feel ya. I'm finding it difficult to let go, too. But I just can't stand forking over $65+ bucks every month (what is that?...$780 a year!!!) for something I just don't use that often. The kids have so much homework, piano practice, punishment, Nintendo, etc. that the TV is rarely watched except for the Spongebob reruns. I could save a ton just buying the seasons for their favorite shows on DVD Blueray and be done with it. For me, I mainly stick to broadcast TV anyway and I can always watch reruns on Project TV or maybe one of those services (Netflix or Amazon). The documentaries I like are largely on YouTube and probably on those services as well. So...in the long run it may be wise just to bite the bullet and pull the plug. As long as I don't miss my Broncos games, I should be good.
I think its one of those things where once you get rid of cable, you'll realize how much you don't miss it and how quickly you'll adapt. I just feel busy enough where I don't feel like making the change just yet. I'm an incredibly passive television watcher, though i enjoy the experience (hell, i work in television). I just don't actively seek out shows if its harder than setting my tivo(i never watch seasons on DVDs... So i have a feeling most of my television show watching would fall by the wayside and i'd miss out on communal television watching/conversation that I actually do enjoy.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Is there a type of HD antenna I should be looking for? Can't put anything on top of the house and don't want to drill holes to run cable from the basement up two flights to the attic! Are any of those indoor ones any good??
check out http://www.antennasdirect.com/ (you can buy them on Amazon) for antennas, plus check out antennaweb.org to see the location/direction/distance of the stations to your area.

And Amazon Prime does have Spongebob.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
That's what I do. Plus Redbox. I woke up one morning and realized I'm paying $200 a month for a steaming pile of ****. Been unplugged for a year now and haven't missed it once.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
+ Piratesbay.com = Bingo.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

What channels do you regularly watch ?

Local channels

Cooking network---one show
History network--I like this one
Espn-- have to
NFLN-- part of the year
Discovery -- favorite
Speed but only for TopGear ---one show
Comedy Central like this as well.

Of all the fricken channels I own These are the ones I watch. I had to keep Direct TV because they had a monopoly on Ticket. Now with PS3 coming out with Ticket on streaming its F.U. DTV. So I dropped my service to as low as you can go because it was cheaper to run out my contract then cancel it. When it don though its done. Don't need it.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I haven't had cable since Hurricane Katrina.

There are websites on the internet that have HD quality streams of most sport channels on a consistent basis. If looking at a computer screen is too small for you, you can easily hook up a computer to a modern day TV and have it go that way. ATDHE, FirstRowSports, etc.

I've had Netflix for about 1.5 years now and think it is great. One trip through a McDonalds drive-thru costs you just as much as what you can get for endless entertainment. There are a lot of old school Nickelodeon shows, along with a lot of modern day kids stuff that is definitely "appropriate" for most children. (Here's looking at you Ghostbusters!)

They also have a lot of National Geographic, History and Discovery Channel oriented programs on Netflix as well. Since you seem to like those -- I think it would be worth the investment. I've never tried Amazon Prime, but have heard good things about it.

Have you ever thought of investing in a Roku device? They have a lot of the apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) that you have to subscribe to, but also have a ton of other free things as well for catching shows, etc.

There is no need to ever pay for cable TV ever again. It is a tremendous waste of time and money. For eight bucks a month (besides internet access) -- I can pretty enjoy what I want to watch. But, I've never been much of a TV guy in the first place. Most everything on TV is crap and I honestly don't see the point in sitting down and watching a sitcom for 1 hour at a time. Don't really feel the need to vicariously live through TV personalities.

Ditch cable, get Netflix and try the Amazon thing. You won't regret it. Think of what you could do saving an extra couple hundred bucks a year.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
You sound like a candidate to switch. If you do not like it after a couple of months, go back(you won't).
Old 01-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
+ Piratesbay.com = Bingo.
toss in an HTPC, well yah.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
check out http://www.antennasdirect.com/ (you can buy them on Amazon) for antennas, plus check out antennaweb.org to see the location/direction/distance of the stations to your area.

And Amazon Prime does have Spongebob.
That is what I use.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
That's what I do. Plus Redbox. I woke up one morning and realized I'm paying $200 a month for a steaming pile of ****. Been unplugged for a year now and haven't missed it once.
Yes, me too sometimes. There are billions of free codes out there all the time.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I have Dish. Program for program, Dish is still cheaper than Comcast and Direct. That said, about a year ago I throttled my programming down to the welcome back and went with an Antenna. I still pay for the DVR, but I have an OTA module in my box. This will pick up the UHF and VHF signals and run it through your Dish box. Best of all, it will record and playback in 1080i on the DVR. The recording takes up more room on the DVR since the DVR only expects 720, but it's a good way to pay the bare minimum and still keep your
DVR functionality.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I didn't know Mormons were allowed to have TV's, Kaylore.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I thought Netflix was just a place to rent DVDs...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #24
DenverDynamite

Call and complain. I've never had DISH but I know with comcast I can negotiate my bill with them somewhat. I know there are other (cheaper) options out there, but they all kind of seem like a pain in the ass. Although in the interest of disclosure I also work in the television industry.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Really depends where you live. If you're in metro Denver the signal is so good that some people I know don't need an antenna. The antenna I have I bought for $20 at Target and it just sits behind the tv, can't even see it. Makes all the channels come in nice and clear.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote