The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #76
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The last Star Trek by Abrahams is a little over rated. I am a huge trek fan and liked the movie but it had some problems. The biggest was Kirk getting stranded on the planet Spock happened to be on? Sort of a reach. Then also the big creatures on that planet didn't make any sense. For animals that big and fast they would need tons of food and an ice planet wouldnot seem to provide that. Still a good movie though.
Some of biggest carnivores: The polar bear is found in the arctic circle and is plenty fast. The blue whale spends long periods in the antarctic and other carnivores like the 5-6 ton, 14 feet long walruses etc.

The force is not with you.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #77
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Some of biggest carnivores: The polar bear is found in the arctic circle and is plenty fast. The blue whale spends long periods in the antarctic and other carnivores like the 5-6 ton, 14 feet long walruses etc.

Nobody is going to use the word fast to describe any of the animals you mentioned. They eat a ton and conserve energy very well.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #78
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Nobody is going to use the word fast to describe any of the animals you mentioned. They eat a ton and conserve energy very well.
Actually he is right about the Polar bear, or most bears for that mater. You will not be able to out run a polar bear that's for sure.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #79
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I love how we're arguing about what kind of animals should logically be living on an alien ice planet.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #80
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Actually he is right about the Polar bear, or most bears for that mater. You will not be able to out run a polar bear that's for sure.
But if they made it a habit to run often, they wouldn't be able to exist. I don't doubt they can move for catching some prey but they're not running around just for ****s and grins, either. 90% of their lives are gonna be focused around the conservation of energy.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #81
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #82
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Abrams butchered Star Trek into a generic action movie mess quite well.

How will he butcher Star Wars?
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #83
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Ice planet thing. It's possible the planet was experiencing an ice age. Some of the earths largest animals existed and evolved to survive during an Iceage. Just saying.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #84
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Luke is actually a woman.
Spoiler alert, due to Time travel conundrums Luke is his own father.

He can do what ever he wants with Star Wars, I would have rather had Wedon doing the ST reboot. He would have had some reverance for it and done it right, not this Baby Looney Tunes crap we are stuck with now.

Plus JJ totally made the Enterprise the ugliest ship ever. That STTOS ship was beautiful and the STTMP/STII one was perfection. Now we have this ugly wedge shaped (kinda like an Empire battleship) thing that ends up under water.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #85
Bronco Yoda

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #86
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Abrams butchered Star Trek into a generic action movie mess quite well.

How will he butcher Star Wars?
Did you see TPM, AotC or RotS? I highly doubt JJ can do worse than those.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #87
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Nobody is going to use the word fast to describe any of the animals you mentioned.
80 kg Arctic wolf + Lens flare.

Plenty fast.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #88
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Just wait till Han Solo is recast with Aston Kutcher and becomes a hardlined, jackbooted thug doing Luke Skywalker's dirty work getting everyone in line with the New Republic.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #89
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Spoiler alert, due to Time travel conundrums Luke is his own father.

He can do what ever he wants with Star Wars, I would have rather had Wedon doing the ST reboot. He would have had some reverance for it and done it right, not this Baby Looney Tunes crap we are stuck with now.

Plus JJ totally made the Enterprise the ugliest ship ever. That STTOS ship was beautiful and the STTMP/STII one was perfection. Now we have this ugly wedge shaped (kinda like an Empire battleship) thing that ends up under water.
Was it just kept did he make the burssard collectors look like a pair of t!ts? I also didn't like how the ship to shop combat sequences went either. The was no suspense, no need for a cloaking device if all you're going to do is throw up a bunch of flak. BTW, for all the blogs out there, yes Kirk was the youngest captain in star fleet history...at 35!!! Not 25.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #90
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Rewatch STTMP The Directors Cut. It is a much better, well paced movie, just about everything, except for Shatners acting, is much better and makes sense.

I was disappointed with TMP when it came out because I wanted it to be better than Star Wars, it wasn't better than a TOS episode but now after seeing the Director's cut that was made back in 2002ish I think it is in my top 3 ST movies.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #91
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

My ideal Episode VII story arc (a lot of this already comes from the canon versions):

Movie picks up after the Battle of Endor. Rogue Squadron is off picking apart the last of the Empire at Coruscant. The opening, however, follows Luke who goes back to Tattoine, attempting to resume a normal life. He's swarmed by people wanting help or simply wanting to bask in his fame. He becomes more reclusive, essentially living the life that Obi Wan lived late in his life. His power is scary off the charts and he's fearful of what he's now capable of.

Han & Leia are not active in the New Republic. They have twins: Jaina & Jacen. The Rebels transform into The New Republic and it flourishes and essentially assumes the role the Empire had. Roles are reversed: the Empire, a scattered ragtag group of ships & badasses, are the ones on the run and the New Republic becomes an immense power. The heroes from Return of the Jedi (Lando, Chewie, 3PO, Leia, Solo) all go their separate ways - disenchanted with the New Republic's grand ambitions. Mon Mothma and Ackbar are the New Republic leadership

The wookie homeplanet is under attack by some unknown force. Han & Leia go to aid Chewie, travelling with their children on the Falcon. The unknown force is Thrawn and the remnants of the Empire. Thrawn was attacking Kashyyk simply as a trap to lure Han, Leia, and their children. When he sees the Falcon approach and Han & Leia step off, he talks into a microphone and says "they're here" and then curses when he doesn't see Luke. The person he's talking to, Joruus, swoops in and kils the Falcon guardian, kidnapping Jaina and Jacen. Joruus is revealed to be an insane dark Jedi. Han and Leia, devastated, travel to Tatooine to try and find Luke. Thrawn is revealed as the military genius of the Empire - a protoge & friend to Palpatine.

When word gets out of what happened, the heroes from Return of the Jedi, come to Han and Leia's aide: Lando, C3PO, and Wedge + the Rogue Squadron. They in essence ignore orders from Ackbar in order to help their friends. They pursue Joruus.

Rogue Squadron uncovers what's going on. In their pursuit of Joruus, they skirmish with some mercenary ships. After the battle, Wedge realizes that Thrawn has assumed power of the Empire after Palpatine's death. Thrawn set the trap for Han & Leia as part of a deal with Joruus - Joruss agreed to bring Palpatine back to life if Thrawn captured Luke, Jaina, and Jacen - the last of the Jedi. Joruus plans on turning each of them to the dark side.

Han & Leia find Luke in the mountain caves of Tatooine. Leia tearfully pleads for Luke's help, who is reluctant to fight again, fearful of what his power might do. In a nightmare, Luke sees Jacen turned to the dark side by Joruus. Luke wakes & tells Han/Leia he'll find them. Luke shows them an underground chamber where his Tie Fighter is under tarps. He gets his flight suit on and takes off. Luke later rescues R2D2 aboard a mercenary barge.

On Tattoine, Solo visits the Mos Eisley bar. Boba Fett is there. They have a stand-off in the bar and then offer a steady truce. Boba Fett reveals what happened: he blasted his way out of the Sarlacc pit. He was betrayed by his employer (the Empire) so he spent the next couple years tracking down his betrayers and killing them. There is only one betrayer left: Thrawn. Solo invites Fett to join him as they both went after Thrawn. Fett agrees.

Luke finds Joruus on Jomark and they duke it out. Joruus is angered & excited at how much more powerful Luke is than he. Joruus is older & wiser, but Luke is stronger. Joruus is like a wicked Obi Wan. Joruus plays with his mind. He reveals Jaina and Jacen. Jacen is under Joruus control and comes to Joruus' aid. Jaina resists and pleads with her brother. Joruus escapes with Jacen and Luke's vision is clouded - he's unable to detect where they went.

The movie climaxes with Wedge, Leia, Chewie, 3PO, and Lando all leading a small force attacking Thrawn at the Battle of Bilbringi. What Thrawn didn't realize was that Wedge was basically now a badass and Rogue Squadron were the baddest little squadron in the galaxy. With Thrawn in deep ****, he's betrayed by one of his own (Rukh).

Luke brings Han & Leia Jaina and tells them he couldn't save Jacen, but that he's still alive. Leia is distraught, but Solo is pissed - he commits that Joruus is gonna pay. He asks him if Luke will help him and Luke agrees, but that they'll need help. The movie ends with Luke training a bunch of young Jedi, including Jaina.

End credits.
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #92
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Rewatch STTMP The Directors Cut. It is a much better, well paced movie, just about everything, except for Shatners acting, is much better and makes sense.

I was disappointed with TMP when it came out because I wanted it to be better than Star Wars, it wasn't better than a TOS episode but now after seeing the Director's cut that was made back in 2002ish I think it is in my top 3 ST movies.
Is this Star Trek The Motion Picture (STTMP)? I didn't know there's a director's cut. The thing about the first Star Trek movie is it was true to the original format of the TV series. The movie was slow and prodding but damn, if anyone knows the TV series that pretty much is right on. Plus, you got a hot robot babe uttering "Kirk Unit" so that's pretty cool too lol.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #93
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Is this Star Trek The Motion Picture (STTMP)? I didn't know there's a director's cut. The thing about the first Star Trek movie is it was true to the original format of the TV series. The movie was slow and prodding but damn, if anyone knows the TV series that pretty much is right on. Plus, you got a hot robot babe uttering "Kirk Unit" so that's pretty cool too lol.
Yep,

Check it out, it has to be the Directors Cut. My friend from HS worked on it with Wise. It was more what he wanted and they used some newer CGI to clean some stuff up and add things that Spock was looking at in the movie they couldn't afford to do at the time.

The pacing is better, like I said above, and the V'ger ship actually has form and scope. You couldn't tell before how big it was, in the original movie it just looked like a big hurricane.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #94
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Just got a little closer to BroncoSteven on being a space nerd by reading this thread.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #95
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

Yeah but that thing was way bigger then a bear lol. I can deal with it though its science fiction lol. But the coincidence of kirk just being on that planet after being marooned seemed like an easy way out of a writing problem to me. How to get furure spock and present kirk together. Just felt it was a little weak.

I'm pretty tough on movies though. If that was my biggest problem that is still a good movie. I watched it 3 times so I liked it. I just thought Wrath of Khan still a star or 2 better.

looking forward to the new Star Wars young jedi. May the force be with you.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #96
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Yeah but that thing was way bigger then a bear lol. I can deal with it though its science fiction lol. But the coincidence of kirk just being on that planet after being marooned seemed like an easy way out of a writing problem to me. How to get furure spock and present kirk together. Just felt it was a little weak.

I'm pretty tough on movies though. If that was my biggest problem that is still a good movie. I watched it 3 times so I liked it. I just thought Wrath of Khan still a star or 2 better.

Ok since you brought up Wrath of Kahn here is another reason I hate the reboot.

In STII the writing had a human element. It started off with Kirk struggling with aging and not being the man he was, he felt lost and alone getting spec's for his failing eye sight. All relateable things to the audience.

In the reboot Kirk is a punk who steals a Corvette (really a corvette 200 years from now) and then drives it off a cliff, in Iowa (I think I only saw the abortion once).

In STII Spock being a good friend try's to cheer Kirk up with a (assuming) a 1st edition of a Tale of Two Cities, that has a a couple dual meanings for both the 1st and last sentences of the book. This device leads to lots of foreshadowing and setting of future tension and resolutions, including the epic pay off during Spock's death.

In the Reboot, Spock drops the Vulcan **** because it is hard and taps Urhura's ass all over the ship. There is no undercurrent of why these guys bond and become such great friends other than a shared experience. Plus wasn't both Scotty and McCoy like 5-10 years older than Kirk why are they all in the Academy together? There is no use of literature, in a lot of the movies and TOS they reference Shakespeare and other great writers, in the reboot we get Lensflares, oh but a car goes over a cliff and Spock is tapping Uhrura's azz BOY-EEE!

At the end of STII Kirk learns that despite losing his best friend he is at peace and realizes that his physical age should not reflect his actions, hence the "I feel Young" quote.

In the Reboot, after acting like a selfish punk a-hole all movie Kirk is rewarded by being given the command of the Star Fleet flagship at what the age of 20? We all know what happened to the Broncos when a young guy who wasn't mature enough or ready to run a franchise became our HC. This is what sits in my craw the most. Leadership is earned not given based on one thing or potential. It is earned over a course of a career. Giving a punk kid a command after disobeying orders for the entire incident is a sure fire way to undermine discipline throughout the ranks. To me this whole movie was like watching those cartoons where the main charaters are all babys like Baby Looney Tunes. Maybe if I grew up watching a Pup Named Scooby Doo I would get it but I don't.

There is depth and emotion in STII with drama based on the human condition incorporating the greatest literature ever written which makes it an iconic classic that people still consider the best ST movie ever made. We all have to struggle through human issues like aging and mortality.

The reboot is just fun and stuff, explosions, chases, making out in turbo lifts, ...lensflares...etc...It says nothing about the human condition other than if your half human and you want to get your groove on, get it on with the hot chick at the cube/station next to you.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #97
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #98
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:

My biggest problem with the movie was being conflicted about being turned on by a luminious green chick in the beginning of the movie. Would I or wouldn't I?

After that, giant lightning quick carnivores in an ice planet were an afterthought.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #99
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:

In STII the writing had a human element...
I think the reboot say a lot about the human element.

How brash we were, when we were young.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #100
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:

In STII the writing had a human element. It started off with Kirk struggling with aging and not being the man he was, he felt lost and alone getting spec's for his failing eye sight. All relateable things to the audience.

In the reboot Kirk is a punk who steals a Corvette (really a corvette 200 years from now) and then drives it off a cliff, in Iowa (I think I only saw the abortion once).

In STII Spock being a good friend try's to cheer Kirk up with a (assuming) a 1st edition of a Tale of Two Cities, that has a a couple dual meanings for both the 1st and last sentences of the book. This device leads to lots of foreshadowing and setting of future tension and resolutions, including the epic pay off during Spock's death.

In the Reboot, Spock drops the Vulcan **** because it is hard and taps Urhura's ass all over the ship. There is no undercurrent of why these guys bond and become such great friends other than a shared experience. Plus wasn't both Scotty and McCoy like 5-10 years older than Kirk why are they all in the Academy together? There is no use of literature, in a lot of the movies and TOS they reference Shakespeare and other great writers, in the reboot we get Lensflares, oh but a car goes over a cliff and Spock is tapping Uhrura's azz BOY-EEE!

At the end of STII Kirk learns that despite losing his best friend he is at peace and realizes that his physical age should not reflect his actions, hence the "I feel Young" quote.

In the Reboot, after acting like a selfish punk a-hole all movie Kirk is rewarded by being given the command of the Star Fleet flagship at what the age of 20? We all know what happened to the Broncos when a young guy who wasn't mature enough or ready to run a franchise became our HC. This is what sits in my craw the most. Leadership is earned not given based on one thing or potential. It is earned over a course of a career. Giving a punk kid a command after disobeying orders for the entire incident is a sure fire way to undermine discipline throughout the ranks. To me this whole movie was like watching those cartoons where the main charaters are all babys like Baby Looney Tunes. Maybe if I grew up watching a Pup Named Scooby Doo I would get it but I don't.

There is depth and emotion in STII with drama based on the human condition incorporating the greatest literature ever written which makes it an iconic classic that people still consider the best ST movie ever made. We all have to struggle through human issues like aging and mortality.

The reboot is just fun and stuff, explosions, chases, making out in turbo lifts, ...lensflares...etc...It says nothing about the human condition other than if your half human and you want to get your groove on, get it on with the hot chick at the cube/station next to you.
This, in a nutshell.

They took Star Trek and ripped the soul right out if it and made it pure action cinema.

It was still a good movie but...it wasn't Star Trek.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote