The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #76
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
This board is hilarious. He's still being drafted first round.
I agree with this, but I still think he's going to fall. No one wants to invest top 5 money in a head case. The league has had plenty of talented head cases, and if there is one thing I've learned about sports is that while headcases may win NBA championships, they do NOT win Superbowls.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #77
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Honestly, with all the coverage of the story in the first place, I wonder why it took so long for this story to come out. What does it say about all the media outlets that ran with this story? I mean, none of them would have a reason to suspect he's lying but you think they'd follow up with it just for the sake of covering the story.

If he fell in the draft, a player in a position of need and talent wise the probably the best available, it's hard to pass. But man, it's a hell of a red flag. It's not hard to imagine the peculiar and pathological stupidity one would need to try and pull something like this getting in the way of a successful pro career.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #78
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
If I had a nickel for each time an OMANE 'analyst' clowned me for saying Te'o had late 1st round talent, I'd have at least a dollar.
It has nothing to do with this year's draft as much as a thread started by you hyping up the next defensive end or tackle of the 2012 draft. Then next day telling us about who you really think is the bomb.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #79
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The crazy thing is he said he was duped and didn't know but multiple times it says he and his family met her.

Deadspin does a lot of dumb stuff but once every year or so they break off a pretty good investigative journalism story. They ousted that one girl for scamming ESPN and random betters online. And we all know the Favre peen story.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #80
R-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
This board is hilarious. He's still being drafted first round.
That's what people said about Vontaze Burfict.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #81
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

The more I've thought about this, I think I'm willing to consider the possibility Manti's catfishing story could be true. A lot of things to explain, but...

1) Notre Dame does seem to be sticking their neck out in supporting his story, including a press conference. I joked earlier about that institution and coverups, but they have likely been looking into the story for a couple weeks and seemed confident in publicly going on record with this story.

2) A lot of arguments that Te'o had to be in on it hinge on his statements about having met or seen her. But, if we accept the story that he was gullible enough to fall for this fake online relationship (and it's obviously well documented that lots of people do fall for these things), and did develop an emotional attachment and believes it's a real relationship, of course he might talk about it with family and friends. While sharing about her, though, he just also might try to cover the embarrassing fact they haven't actually met in person. That was an awkward detail he believed would be remedied soon, that she was stringing him along with excuses about not being able to meet and so on. So he fabricated a story about meeting at Stanford, vacation meetup plans, etc.

So he's obviously been lying. But I think it is possible that his lies involved him trying to cover up what he believed was an embarrassing fact: he had a girlfriend that he had only talked with online.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #82
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
The more I've thought about this, I think I'm willing to consider the possibility Manti's catfishing story could be true. A lot of things to explain, but...

1) Notre Dame does seem to be sticking their neck out in supporting his story, including a press conference. I joked earlier about that institution and coverups, but they have likely been looking into the story for a couple weeks and seemed confident in publicly going on record with this story.

2) A lot of arguments that Te'o had to be in on it hinge on his statements about having met or seen her. But, if we accept the story that he was gullible enough to fall for this fake online relationship (and it's obviously well documented that lots of people do fall for these things), and did develop an emotional attachment and believes it's a real relationship, of course he might talk about it with family and friends. While sharing about her, though, he just also might try to cover the embarrassing fact they haven't actually met in person. That was an awkward detail he believed would be remedied soon, that she was stringing him along with excuses about not being able to meet and so on. So he fabricated a story about meeting at Stanford, vacation meetup plans, etc.

So he's obviously been lying. But I think it is possible that his lies involved him trying to cover up what he believed was an embarrassing fact: he had a girlfriend that he had only talked with online.

If he was actually duped, he has to be the dumbest mother ****er in the history of the world. But who was the girl he was talking to for hours and hours and hours a night? And why would his family claim to have met her? Also, why the hell would you go to the MEDIA about this

It just doesnt add up.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #83
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
It has nothing to do with this year's draft as much as a thread started by you hyping up the next defensive end or tackle of the 2012 draft. Then next day telling us about who you really think is the bomb.
Starting draft threads about speed-burning WR's, or versatile DE's is hardly telling you who "I really think is the bomb". I was doing it as a creative way to explore the draft. We all knew the Broncos would draft a DT in the first two rounds in 2012...the question was which one, which I alluded to in "DT's and the dusty road to Denver".

I was dead set on Wolfe for about a month leading up to the draft. It's well documented. Again...like the last time you brought it up...all you have to do is look it up.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #84
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
If he was actually duped, he has to be the dumbest mother ****er in the history of the world. But who was the girl he was talking to for hours and hours and hours a night? And why would his family claim to have met her? Also, why the hell would you go to the MEDIA about this

It just doesnt add up.
I watched a Dr. Phil episode (don't judge, it's the best TV on AFN during work) and they had 3 women who were in a relationship with a man over the internet. They talked on the phone for hours, texted, said "I love you", you name it. Of course they never met and the guy kept making excuses about meeting. Once instance this guy even had his sister call the girls and give excuses. Well Dr. Phil does some investigating and finds out the guy was actually a girl playing the guy.

I'm not sure why a football star needs to resort to having an online girlfriend when a majority of college girls would throw their twat at him, but people are wired differently. Maybe I am giving Te'o the benefit of the doubt, but it's totally possible he was scammed.

Kid A nailed it with his #2 point. I would be embarrassed about being emotionally attached to a person that was created to scam. People probably questioned him about having this online girlfriend and used the "Oh, we met @ X , Y , and X before!"
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #85
Action

Quote:

Interesting take on the story...and if that's what he fed to Notre Dame I could see why they would believe it.

However, what about the part of where the probable guy behind this Lennay Kekua (Ronaiah Tuiasosopo) knowing Teo?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #86
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
However, what about the part of where the probable guy behind this Lennay Kekua (Ronaiah Tuiasosopo) knowing Teo?
Going back to the Dr. Phil episode I watched about a similiar instance, the person who pretended to be the guy was actually friends with one of the women.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #87
uplink
Ring of Famer

if he is telling the truth, it could be the guy is gay and latched on to the girl as a cover ( a long distance relationship that didn't require the typically manly pursuit of the female that a gay guy would have trouble faking). Just a thought, but a guy in his position would have a real girl friend if he was straight.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #88
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I think T'eo should go on the MTV show catfish!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #89
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I watched a Dr. Phil episode (don't judge, it's the best TV on AFN during work) and they had 3 women who were in a relationship with a man over the internet. They talked on the phone for hours, texted, said "I love you", you name it. Of course they never met and the guy kept making excuses about meeting. Once instance this guy even had his sister call the girls and give excuses. Well Dr. Phil does some investigating and finds out the guy was actually a girl playing the guy.

I'm not sure why a football star needs to resort to having an online girlfriend when a majority of college girls would throw their twat at him, but people are wired differently. Maybe I am giving Te'o the benefit of the doubt, but it's totally possible he was scammed.

Kid A nailed it with his #2 point. I would be embarrassed about being emotionally attached to a person that was created to scam. People probably questioned him about having this online girlfriend and used the "Oh, we met @ X , Y , and X before!"
Yeah, but in that interview with ESPN, Manti said he talked with her for hours and hours. So, if its true that he was duped, and he'd have to be a real idiot (i have experience in this arena, but in my case i figured it out after like a month), then there's some girl who was in on the hoax that spoke with him for all that time? That makes ZERO sense to me.

Now there's an Arizona fullback who claims to have met "Kekua" at a charity event last year? He sounds like one of those Siberian soldiers that didn't get the message the cold war was over.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #90
Action

Quote:
Going back to the Dr. Phil episode I watched about a similiar instance, the person who pretended to be the guy was actually friends with one of the women.
Ok I see. However Teo was on record saying he met her and she was the most beautiful girl...that's from what I'm reading? I mean the lies that Teo is on record for and the lies that are reported are some serious lies... not just a simple, "we talked."

You're right, he could be embarrassed and just dug himself a deeper hole as time went on...this could very well be likely.

So from your theory... Teo lied about having a GF because he knew the "GF" was lying to him whom was a fake girl that lied about being a girl...

But does that explain Teo's continuous tweets about this girl? I mean is he lying to himself at some point too?

Last edited by Action; 01-16-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #91
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:

Right. Again, there are some big holes that we need filled in, but the ND people are right that it does follow the pattern of similar stories.

We're all talking about how dumb he would have to be to fall for this, but there are TV shows showing way more people than you would expect do fall for it. We keep asking how could a star football player be naive/desperate enough to be strung along, but my impression is he grew up in a fairly sheltered, religiously conservative background. This wasn't some wild jock sleeping around in high school; for all we know he very well may have the perfect personality type to fall prey to this kind of thing, despite his outward fame and athleticism.

Even if he did begin to have doubts, he very well may be the type of person to try to push those aside. And, once you let slip to friends and family about this girl you know, it could be hard to backtrack when the months drag on and you still haven't met. You start feeling like you have to make up stories to legitimize it in other people's eyes (e.g. "we met at Stanford").

The scale of this does stretch the boundaries of believability. But I'm not as ready to dismiss his story as I initially did this afternoon.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #92
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Right. Again, there are some big holes that we need filled in, but the ND people are right that it does follow the pattern of similar stories.

We're all talking about how dumb he would have to be to fall for this, but there are TV shows showing way more people than you would expect do fall for it. We keep asking how could a star football player be naive/desperate enough to be strung along, but my impression is he grew up in a fairly sheltered, religiously conservative background. This wasn't some wild jock sleeping around in high school; for all we know he very well may have the perfect personality type to fall prey to this kind of thing, despite his outward fame and athleticism.

Even if he did begin to have doubts, he very well may be the type of person to try to push those aside. And, once you let slip to friends and family about this girl you know, it could be hard to backtrack when the months drag on and you still haven't met. You start feeling like you have to make up stories to legitimize it in other people's eyes (e.g. "we met at Stanford").

The scale of this does stretch the boundaries of believability. But I'm not as ready to dismiss his story as I initially did this afternoon.
yeah, but these people don't go on ESPN and have interviews where they claim they are the love of their life...

Its not adding up.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #93
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
yeah, but these people don't go on ESPN and have interviews where they claim they are the love of their life...

Its not adding up.
One of the Deadspin editors who co-wrote the report is calling bull**** on the Notre Dame claim that the fully investigated the matter. When CNN interviewed him on TV he was also very skeptical that Te'o wasn't in on it. So, to be clear, I'm inclined to go with the Deadspin's understanding. Just not getting a crystal clear picture by any means.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #94
Action

Manti Te’o Told Interviewer Lennay Kekua Wrote Him Letter Before Stanford Game, 31 Days After She Died

Manti Te’o discussed Lannay Kekua in an interview with Notre Dame Athletics on November 13. He told the interviewer he received the last letter from her before the Stanford game on Oct. 13. The game was 31 days after her supposed death on Sept. 12.

Maybe she wrote the letters ahead of time? Perhaps he forgot Notre Dame’s schedule…a month later? This story just keeps getting weirder.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #95
Action

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...ia-blew-it-up/

The anonymous player said that teammates knew that Te’o had reportedly only met the girl once.

“We would never bring it up. But we would look at him when he would get all emotional during media about his girl,” the player said.

When asked if he thought Te’o was a good actor, the player replied, “Very good.”
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #96
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I dont think the dude is gay. But I am unsure why he would create a gf and have her die (like no one would research it?) just to get Heisman consideration.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #97
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

I can believe that any number of lonely, young, socially awkward people could fall for a fake internet girlfriend; but for Te'o? He's (likely, cynically) got real women throwing themselves at him in real life, trying to dupe him into love because of his high profile. That an internet hoax could bilk Te'o more than any real life babe seems absurd.

And that he'd believe that she was in a car accident and actually dying without actually wanting to reach out to the real human voice seems equally absurd.

I'm not sure at all what the truth is, but that Te'o was a victim in this hoax seems totally convenient and flies in the face of common sense.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #98
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Strange that Notre Dame has gone so far in defense of T'eo... If he was in on the hoax its going to come out definitively at some point. And the Notre Dame athletic director would appear to have lied to protect a departing player. Strange, strange story.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #99
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

This is bizarre to say the least. There are a few possibilities though:

Teo is the most naive person in the world and will believe anything, and therefore he is too much of a risk to draft high, including anywhere in the 1st round because he will be too much a distraction in the lockeroom.

Or, he is a total con-man that is also a pathological liar that is so good at his lies that he actually starts to believe them himself. If this turns out to be the case, he might be undraftable. Who could trust him?

Or, as Kid A said, maybe he got so deeply involved online that he was just embarrassed. Problem with that is this went on too long and the lies to justify "her" were too detailed.

Or, it turns out he is covering up the fact he is gay. Possibly, but then I would have to put him in the "too stupid to draft" category. Honestly, in today's day and age, it is not necessary to invent a relationship. Just stay single and do what Tebow does, say that your saving yourself for marriage. He's a Mormon right?

Oh well, I'm afraid that this kid is in too deep into this now. Not sure how he can get out of this to be honest. He's ****ed.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #100
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Fax Machine

From Buzzfeed, some of the best Twitter responses concerning this story:

DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote