The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #51
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
On one play. If that one stupid, stupid play doesn't happen, nobody's saying that safety is our #1 weakness.

Much less, one game.

I am not a fan of dumping players based on one game. OM residents wanted to cut Knowshon after he fumbled early in the season. He's still a talented back, and we saw how much we missed him last night when he went out.

Our corners were bad last night, but we are forgetting that we didn't get ANY pass rush going throughout the game. We lost the game in the trenches. The OL had its worst game of the year, and I am not sure Kuper was a 100 percent for this game. Maybe he was too rusty and not back in game shape. Either way, he looked bad...getting manhandled all game by Ngata and at one point got completely destroyed on a block. I've never seen Kuper get destroyed like that, he just didn't look like himself. Kuper wasn't alone in crappy play, every one of our best players, played like dog **** and didn't show up. Everyone...couple that with conservative play calling and you lose.

I think our biggest needs are MLB, DL, OL, and also need a speedy WR to stretch the field.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #52
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
This argument would have merit if the broncos got blown out. It's a game we win if not for a fluke play. Baltimore is good and the game was close. Good teams play good teams close and honestly randomness and luck often decide the games. It didn't fall for us this time

If the broncos got their ass kicked, that would be one thing. But we didn't. We should have won. We are just as good as any team left out there. I one hundred percent believe it. Just didn't bounce our way this time
I get what you're saying. My point is, why does it even have to come down to that fluke play? It wasn't random. They had proven time after time the ability to connect downfield. We were pretty much outplayed the entire game. Holliday kept this game from being a blowout, really. We clearly do not play the same when it's against a good team, as opposed to the Chiefs.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #53
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

the broncos were sloppy enough most of the season to see a game like this coming. But the 70 yard bomb is unforgivable. you just don't see anything like that happen in the NFL.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #54
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I don't think this is a case where we were really not that good of a team. Maybe it's easier for people to swallow what happened that way but that's not what this was. This was a monster sized choke job by a very good team. I've seen many articles all over saying basically the same thing. The Broncos had balance. A great offense, a really good defense and pretty good ST's also. In those early games, we were just coming together as a team, we made some early mistakes and got down big. We came roaring back in each of those games. We were just as good talent wise. The one thing we knew back then, we are now reminded of again. Mistakes KILL you. And I'm sorry but the other thing I think eventually killed this team was Mr. Conservatism. I can understand being conservative to some degree but the kind that Fox displayed to me was such the magnitude that I think it sent shockwaves throughout the team that there play should also be conservative. How many long throws did the Broncos attempt? How many "chances" did we take?

Looking forward - I think we need some changes. We have to get better at running the ball. Love how KM bounced back this year but knew he was on borrowed time. Seems like he can't stay healthy for more then 6 games in a row. In the end, both our backs could not play when we needed them the most. Time to draft a special RB to help give this running game some oomph. I know alot of people want a Safety but I think DT is still more important. I watched how Nata just thew Kuper around yesterday and wish we had somebody like that in the middle to disrupt things. I think we could get away with moving Champ to Safety and get Porter in Champs spot.

And yes, I know this may not be popular but I'd fire McCoy. I didn't see any creative plays at all, other then the single screen to Thomas that went for a TD. It seems like every single run play was between the tackles. No stretch plays with Hillman, no screens with Hillman. I mean, the play calling was as vanilla as you could possibly get.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #55
troya900
Ring of Famer

The first change needed is firing Fox. Just don't see how we win the big one with a Schottenheimer/Reeves conservative clone that ****s up every call at the end of the game/half. Fox just has a knack during a close game to make the absolute worst decisions.
troya900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #56
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I don't blame Prater for that kick. A 52 yard FG should never have been called in those conditions. In that kind of cold, you have a better chance with a high punt and the other guy mishandling it.
If Fox punted there the board would be screaming why not try FG? Praters leg is plenty from there as the winning kick had plenty of distance. Prater collapsed under pressure and hit worst fg attempt I've seen.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #57
Bronco Yoda

We surely had one of the easiest 2nd half schedules for sure. You can only play who you're given. But I did get the feeling late in the season that although we were starting to really jell... that fox was coasting too much. There is something to be said about keeping the pedal mashed to the floor like Beiicheat does. Constantly pushing... regardless the score or your record.

As bad as this loss hurts, I really feel there was no way we were going to match up well against the patsies next week (assuming they win against the Texans).
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #58
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
If Fox punted there the board would be screaming why not try FG? Praters leg is plenty from there as the winning kick had plenty of distance. Prater collapsed under pressure and hit worst fg attempt I've seen.
For example, a 52-yard attempt in moderate temperatures can be expected to be successful about 55% of the time. But in temperatures at or below 30 degrees, they can be expected to be successful about 30% of the time, which is about the success rate for 57-yd attempts.
http://www.advancednflstats.com/2012...eld-goals.html
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #59
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
We all got caught up in the media hype. I don't think this is "OMG Peyton Manning sucks in the playoffs!" at all... yes, he certainly choked last night (among others), but when push comes to shove, the Denver Broncos weren't nearly as good as we though after months of buying into the Peyton Manning inspired media hype.

Broncos 21 Falcons 27

Texans 31 Broncos 25

Broncos 21 Patriots 31

Broncos 31 Bengals 23

Broncos 34 Ravens 17

Broncos 35 Ravens 38

^ those are the ONLY teams we played with winning records... 2-4 against "good" teams, and Baltimore was extremely beat up by injuries at the time of the first match-up.

For several of those other games (Atl, Houston and NE), the game wasn't NEARLY as close as the final score indicates.

Bottom line: The best team we beat was the Cincinnati ****ing Bengals.

Time to address serious deficiencies in the roster and hope our aging "studs" can squeeze another season of competitive play out of their sagging bodies.
Not everyone got caught up in the 13-3 record. It was obvious to most that the playoffs were going right back through the teams that beat us. It was obvious the Ravens were not at full strength the first time through. Where were you. A number of people warned about the overconfidence, the comparisons and feelings of 96, the team was young in terms of real playoff stress and accomplishment. These playoffs required a whole new level of performance at which the Broncos were not tested. Don't mention last year.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #60
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
For example, a 52-yard attempt in moderate temperatures can be expected to be successful about 55% of the time. But in temperatures at or below 30 degrees, they can be expected to be successful about 30% of the time, which is about the success rate for 57-yd attempts.
http://www.advancednflstats.com/2012...eld-goals.html
Well yeah you can figure those numbers and it will always lead you to Marty ball. It also doesn't take into account FG in Denver are seem to play 5 yards closer. Players regularly make long FG there. With the way Fox called rest of game I'm blown away they tried FG. I know Belichek would of either went with FG or most likely went for it on 4 th down.