The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should we extend Von & DT after 2012?
Yes, lock them both up 31 60.78%
Just Von, DT needs 1 more good year 6 11.76%
Just DT, I'm bat**** crazy 2 3.92%
Neither, lets milk them for another cheap season or two. 12 23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Ronnie Tsunami

Default Should we extend Von & Demaryius after this year.

They are both set to be free agents after the 2014 season, meaning we have a minimum of two seasons left (after this one) with them.

Wouldn't it make sense to lock them up ahead of time? I don't know about making a move on Demaryius just yet, but I'd have no qualms with the brass upstairs making Von the highest paid OLB in the NFL the second after we hoist the Lombardi *hopefully* (knocks on wood)

Last edited by Ronnie Tsunami; 12-12-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

If the are meant to be free agents in 2014 let's see what they do in 2013 before we throw around potentially a lot of guaranteed money
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
If the are meant to be free agents in 2014 let's see what they do in 2013 before we throw around potentially a lot of guaranteed money
This. Do it after next season is over (when they have ONE year left)......not when they each still have 2 years left on their current deals.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Clady then Decker (RFA this offseason) should be first. Then DT. Denver holds an option for a 5th year on Miller.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

If they both go off like a pyro in a fireworks factory in the playoffs, the FO should consider locking them up now. 2 years left of their deals or not.

Either way two young playmakers should be lifetime Broncos.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

All in due time.

Looks like Elway's plan is to populate the team with stars in a few key positions and fill in with solid roll players.

You are not going to trick any agent to sign a sweet deal just because it's early, they know the worth of their clients besides the Broncos hardly have enough cap room to sign the key guys they need to keep this coming year let alone reaching out two years from now..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I meant to say milk them. That's how you afford a championship team.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

You guys are aware they can't hold out per the new CBA, right?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
You are not going to trick any agent to sign a sweet deal just because it's early, they know the worth of their clients.

This. We tried getting Clady to sign an early extension and he chose not to bend on the numbers knowing that free agency was right around the corner. The NFL is more volatile than the MLB with far greater risk for injury. But you second contract is where you make your money. Players aren't going to be inclined to give us enough of a discount to make it worth giving up the last cost controlled year of their rookie deal.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Clady then Decker (RFA this offseason) should be first. Then DT. Denver holds an option for a 5th year on Miller.
Decker ain't an RFA. His contract is up next year.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I've thought about this but I think you have to be business savvy here. Would love to pay each of these guys more right now and maybe you can find a way to give them a small gift bonus but I don't think you can re-do their deals right now. Actually, might even have to re-structure Manning's deal a bit so that we can afford a few really nice FA's this offseason. We have a 2 or 3 year window here with Manning and we need every penny we can find to get great players here and to sign the ones we have when it's time.

Don't forget, Miller was the #2 overall pick in the draft so it's not like his rookie contract is puny or anything. Obviously he deserves more and he will get it sooner then later. Got to lock up Clady though.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

No, way to early. Next year you start talking. It is a business and precedent is important even when you are talking about great players.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I don't like locking people up 2 years before they become free agents.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Tsunami View Post
I'd have no qualms with the brass upstairs making Von the highest paid OLB in the NFL the second after we hoist the Lombardi *hopefully* (knocks on wood)
Huh? This makes no sense.

Why would you make someone the highest paid at their position two years before their contract is up? The one and only reason to lock someone up early is to save money on them. Not pay more. It literally makes zero sense.

It's like the Clady situation. Enjoy getting great returns on the rookie contract for as long as you can, because you're never going to get that kind of performance for chump change again. Once they start making the big bucks, they'll never go back to making less if they're anywhere near their prime.

Why pay more than you have to?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Why pay more than you have to?
Don't worry. We won't. Bowlen is broke.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Von can't be offered a new contract until after next season. Something in the new CBA says that first round picks have to play three full years before a new contract can be negotiated.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
spiralism

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Von can't be offered a new contract until after next season. Something in the new CBA says that first round picks have to play three full years before a new contract can be negotiated.
In fact though, that benefits the players. We go to Von after next year with a year left on his deal and he holds all the cards....

In the meantime though, use the cap space to bring in more FA quality next year and talk the two guys into sticking around. Shouldn't be hard if we keep the good times up. Miller strikes me as a lifer and we don't have McDaniels anymore to alienate and trade him.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
In fact though, that benefits the players. We go to Von after next year with a year left on his deal and he holds all the cards....

In the meantime though, use the cap space to bring in more FA quality next year and talk the two guys into sticking around. Shouldn't be hard if we keep the good times up. Miller strikes me as a lifer and we don't have McDaniels anymore to alienate and trade him.
I hope he sticks around. After the whole Cutler and Marshall deal my biggest fear is that Von Miller will wind up finishing his career with the Cowboys.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
In fact though, that benefits the players. We go to Von after next year with a year left on his deal and he holds all the cards.....
How exactly?

He can't hold out. At that point, he still would have a full year left on his contract. And there's a thing called the franchise tag that could be employed the year AFTER that.

Teams have ALL the leverage and hold pretty much all the cards nowadays.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #20
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The poll results so far show a lot of you are totally clueless. You can't even extend some players even if you want to because of the new CBA.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
The poll results so far show a lot of you are totally clueless. You can't even extend some players even if you want to because of the new CBA.
...and NFL owners rarely "renegotiate" early on any contract. Bowlen certainly doesn't have any history of this, and neither do most organizations. We have paid to keep our key players lately, I have no reason to believe we won't pony up for these two.

I also like the thread title (no disrespect intended) mentioning "we." It ain't my cash buddy, but if it was, I would only pay fair market value when I had to. A team is still a business with the goal of making a profit. I think Elway and Fox have been pretty straight forward on this as well.

Last edited by cmhargrove; 12-12-2012 at 01:47 PM..
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
...and NFL owners rarely "renegotiate" early on any contract. Bowlen certainly doesn't have any history of this, and neither do most organizations. We have paid to keep our key players lately, I have no reason to believe we won't pony up for these two.
You didn't read anything I said, did you? I am pretty sure DT can't get a new contract even if God appears to the Broncos front office and orders them to give him one until after next season. No matter how much "we love" these guys, giving them a new contract before they are eligible is impossible, and before we need is not smart.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #23
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

What about Woodyard? He only signed a 2 year deal in March for short money ($3.5 million TOTAL). So he's only got 1 more year as well.

Considering the breakout year he's had......I'd assume he'd be high on our priority list to extend.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Besides Mays and Porter who walks?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Besides Mays and Porter who walks?
I'd have to go through the entire roster......but off the top of my head I'd say Bannan, Brooking, Leonhard and perhaps Stokley.....unless we can't lure another good slot WR here in the offseason.

We also need to re-sign Bruton for special teams.