The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
And so it goes...

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 77,987

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default How Cambridge Analytica Helped Trump Get Elected

The Russian-linked Cambridge Analytica scammed 50 million US Facebook users for their data. The right-wing, voter-profiling company then used their information to target Americans with personalized anti-Clinton and pro-Trump propaganda.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-cam...p-elect-trump/
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 33,784

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

I got a thread on this already, and it might go a little deeper than we think:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=129927

In fact, it could be huge...
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 20,295
Default

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
And so it goes...

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 77,987

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Cambridge Analytica, the political-data firm hired by the Trump campaign that’s been implicated in a scandal involving the illegitimate harvesting of more than 50 million Facebook user profiles, did not improve its public standing Monday. That’s because Britain’s Channel 4 posted a video showing Cambridge Analytica CEO Alexander Nix describing a series of salacious and corrupt tactics for hire to a reporter pretending to be a fixer for a client who wanted to influence elections in Sri Lanka.

When asked about digging up opposition research on another candidate, Nix reportedly offered to “send some girls around to the candidate’s house,” specifically Ukrainian girls, whom Nix said “are very beautiful, I find that works very well.” That wasn’t the only staged scandal Nix offered to set up for the prospective client. “We’ll offer a large amount of money to the candidate, to finance his campaign in exchange for land for instance,” he told the reporter. “We’ll have the whole thing recorded; we’ll blank out the face of our guy and we post it on the internet.”

https://slate.com/technology/2018/03...nd-bribes.html
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 33,784

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Cambridge Analytica, the political-data firm hired by the Trump campaign that’s been implicated in a scandal involving the illegitimate harvesting of more than 50 million Facebook user profiles, did not improve its public standing Monday. That’s because Britain’s Channel 4 posted a video showing Cambridge Analytica CEO Alexander Nix describing a series of salacious and corrupt tactics for hire to a reporter pretending to be a fixer for a client who wanted to influence elections in Sri Lanka.

When asked about digging up opposition research on another candidate, Nix reportedly offered to “send some girls around to the candidate’s house,” specifically Ukrainian girls, whom Nix said “are very beautiful, I find that works very well.” That wasn’t the only staged scandal Nix offered to set up for the prospective client. “We’ll offer a large amount of money to the candidate, to finance his campaign in exchange for land for instance,” he told the reporter. “We’ll have the whole thing recorded; we’ll blank out the face of our guy and we post it on the internet.”

https://slate.com/technology/2018/03...nd-bribes.html
Nothing to see here, obviously.

Wait till Mueller gets hold of the computer nerd and tells him what prison's going to be like for him.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 20,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Nothing to see here, obviously.

Wait till Bueller gets hold of the computer nerd and tells him what prison's going to be like for him.



Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #7
RonMexico
change your world
 
RonMexico's Avatar
 
Can't fight racism w/ more racism

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tejas
Posts: 6,964

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

The Dems did the same thing and the left lauded the Obama campaign for it.

If you gals want credibility on this issue, you have to condemn both parties for it.

Otherwise its just another partisan idiotfest spamathon.
RonMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 AM   #8
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moRon
The Dems did the same thing and the left lauded the Obama campaign for it.
Cool story, bro.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:47 AM   #9
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,160

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
The Dems did the same thing and the left lauded the Obama campaign for it.

If you gals want credibility on this issue, you have to condemn both parties for it.

Otherwise its just another partisan idiotfest spamathon.
Ron is actually correct here guys. No one paid much attention when similar things were done by Obama in 2012.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:57 AM   #10
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Ron is actually correct here guys. No one paid much attention when similar things were done by Obama in 2012.
Wrong.




L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
RonMexico
change your world
 
RonMexico's Avatar
 
Can't fight racism w/ more racism

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tejas
Posts: 6,964

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Wrong.




Derp.

Obama campaign's Carol Davidsen admits Democrats sucked out "the entire social network of the US", kept the data and still have it: https://t.co/3GpaCdY0y3
RonMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:17 AM   #12
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moRon
Derp.

Obama campaign's Carol Davidsen admits Democrats sucked out "the entire social network of the US", kept the data and still have it: https://t.co/3GpaCdY0y3
moRon doesn't understand the difference between a data breach and data that has been solicited and voluntarily provided.

Go figure.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:37 AM   #13
RonMexico
change your world
 
RonMexico's Avatar
 
Can't fight racism w/ more racism

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tejas
Posts: 6,964

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
Derp.

Obama campaign's Carol Davidsen admits Democrats sucked out "the entire social network of the US", kept the data and still have it: https://t.co/3GpaCdY0y3
Click the link above if you are interested in reality.
RonMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 52,947

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

...when I heard this yesterday I knew you guys would be frothing at the mouth.

I've heard this referred to as a scandal, data breach, and stolen data and its none of those things. This is how Facebook works and is a part of their terms of service. This is how they make their money and they've been doing it for more than a decade.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #15
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32,098

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
...when I heard this yesterday I knew you guys would be frothing at the mouth.

I've heard this referred to as a scandal, data breach, and stolen data and its none of those things. This is how Facebook works and is a part of their terms of service. This is how they make their money and they've been doing it for more than a decade.
Yup... I mean this org did some shady **** (that had nothing to do with Facebook)

But regardless, the social media targeting is absolutely nothing new...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ebook-election

Quote:
Barack Obama's re-election team are building a vast digital data operation that for the first time combines a unified database on millions of Americans with the power of Facebook to target individual voters to a degree never achieved before.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #16
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

But regardless, the social media targeting is absolutely nothing new...
More than just targeting here:

Quote:
Donald Trump's improbable rise to the presidency looks dirtier and dirtier. In the latest revelation, Facebook announced on March 18 that University of Cambridge psychology lecturer and St Petersburg university professor Dr Aleksandr Kogan "lied to us and violated our Platform Policies by passing data from an app that was using Facebook Login to SCL/Cambridge Analytica, a firm that does political, government, and military work around the globe".
But I'm sure your Dear Leader appreciates your defensive effort.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 40,545
Default

The Obama campaign bragged about how they used personal information on likely voters to make profiles of them and target them.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 40,545
Default

Doesn't matter anyways. I know none of my friends and family give any merit to facebook advertising or trolling. Dems are saying they lost voters to this? HAHA what a bunch of weak minded imbeciles the left has.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 52,947

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Doesn't matter anyways. I know none of my friends and family give any merit to facebook advertising or trolling. Dems are saying they lost voters to this? HAHA what a bunch of weak minded imbeciles the left has.
That's the thing, no one has established actual impact.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #20
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32,098

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Doesn't matter anyways. I know none of my friends and family give any merit to facebook advertising or trolling. Dems are saying they lost voters to this? HAHA what a bunch of weak minded imbeciles the left has.


"This Facebook Ad stole the election! What hope did we have?"
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #21
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

"This Facebook Ad stole the election!
Switching from false equivalence to straw man fallacies so soon?
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #22
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 20,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post


"This Facebook Ad stole the election! What hope did we have?"
But... but... Hillary just told us (from India) that she lost because married white woman can't think for themselves!
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #23
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Choda
But... but... Hillary just told us (from India) that she lost because married white woman can't think for themselves!
That's not why she lost.

Don't you listen to your Dear Leader?

Trump Accuses Clinton of Deliberately Losing Election So He Could Be Impeached

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...osing-election
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #24
RonMexico
change your world
 
RonMexico's Avatar
 
Can't fight racism w/ more racism

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Tejas
Posts: 6,964

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post


"This Facebook Ad stole the election! What hope did we have?"
That’s Spambot-level nonsense.
RonMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 40,545
Default

So what they did is ran an app that was a quiz. Cambridge Analytica then used that information. The rest the gleaned from what was public on a persons facebook page. Obviously if you post animal pics, they know you might be a dog lover etc.

Just more witchhunting by the left looking for scapegoats. Great way to distract liberal voters from the fact the DNC rigged the primary for Hillary.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Denver Broncos