The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
"...had Brock not been available.."

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 70,146
Default American Corporations Create New Term: Inversion

Sorry, but this year, July isnít going to work for me. Thatís because of a new kind of American corporate exceptionalism: companies that have decided to desert our country to avoid paying taxes but expect to keep receiving the full array of benefits that being American confers, and that everyone else is paying for.

Yes, leaving the countryĖa process that tax techies call inversionĖis perfectly legal. A company does this by reincorporating in a place like Ireland, where the corporate tax rate is 12.5%, compared with 35% in the U.S. Inversion also makes it easier to divert what would normally be U.S. earnings to foreign, lower-tax locales. But being legal isnít the same as being right. If a few companies invert, itís irritating but no big deal for our society. But mass inversion is a whole other thing, and thatís where weíre heading.

http://fortune.com/2014/07/07/taxes-offshore-dodge/

Like rats deserting a sinking ship. Keep voting for corporate rights, America. They'll love you for it!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
"...had Brock not been available.."

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 70,146
Default

Inverters don’t hesitate to take advantage of the great things that make America America: our deep financial markets, our democracy and rule of law, our military might, our intellectual and physical infrastructure, our national research programs, all the terrific places our country offers for employees and their families to live. But inverters do hesitate–totally–when it’s time to ante up their fair share of financial support of our system. (Ibid.)
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 51,602

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

I think it's fairly obvious that our tax rate needs to get in line with the rest of the world. It even happens between our states. Nebraska is very business friendly...more so than Colorado...so we have jobs leaving the state. Op-Ex and Cap-Ex
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,330

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I think it's fairly obvious that our tax rate needs to get in line with the rest of the world. It even happens between our states. Nebraska is very business friendly...more so than Colorado...so we have jobs leaving the state. Op-Ex and Cap-Ex
**** that. Change our current tax code and let corps. Know,you want to do business in this country pay your fair share.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
"...had Brock not been available.."

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 70,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I think it's fairly obvious that our tax rate needs to get in line with the rest of the world. It even happens between our states. Nebraska is very business friendly...more so than Colorado...so we have jobs leaving the state. Op-Ex and Cap-Ex
Great idea! Maybe we could lower our rate to match somewhere like Somalia. I'll bet they have a fantastic corporate tax rate. Of course, I'm not sure what kind of government services are available. I've heard that security is a bit lax as well.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38,085
Default

We need corp tax reform. We need a lower rate for money earned overseas but with a law that says they have to bring the money home.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38,085
Default

I don't get how both liberals and conservatives complain about this **** but neither side makes politicians solve the problem.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Great idea! Maybe we could lower our rate to match somewhere like Somalia. I'll bet they have a fantastic corporate tax rate. Of course, I'm not sure what kind of government services are available. I've heard that security is a bit lax as well.
It screams for reform way more then immigration. Corp tax reform could actually help the whole country. But no Obama would rather focus on mexican kids with lice and scabies.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38,085
Default

The problem is some corporation get away with low tax, and other get hammered. We need a level playing field that makes it easier for corporation to bring money home and re-invest in America.

Seriously though Obama not going to do a thing about.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,330

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

As long we are able to force their hand and make them them pay the same rate as the rest of us
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,330

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The problem is some corporation get away with low tax, and other get hammered. We need a level playing field that makes it easier for corporation to bring money home and re-invest in America.

Seriously though Obama not going to do a thing about.
Easy get rid of all low corp tax rates and you'll have a level playing field
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38,085
Default

That will just force more out of the country Peace. It's not a left or right issue. If the money isn't here it can't be taxed. The only way to get it here is to change the code into at least 2 zones. Domestic/Foreign.

peace is just crazy he wants all the money going to the govt and them controlling every aspect of your life.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38,085
Default

Basically Peace doesn't see any corporations as small. He thinks they are all Walmart or General Electric. Most corporations don't go overseas or get big govt subsidies. By doing it the way we do it invites exactly the type of low growth coupled with jobs going overseas.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38,085
Default

Peace pull head out and read this.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...66900326408522

That's because tax preferences are popular. Most of the major existing preferences are intended to promote economic growth, so they are supported by both Democrats and Republicans. The four tax preferences that generate the largest revenue losses are: tax credits for research and development, special deductions for U.S. manufacturing facilities, accelerated depreciation for capital investments, and tax-exempt interest from municipal bonds.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 20,238
Default

US has the highest corporate tax rate in the world, which has been forcing business out of the US for decades.

The Socialist Progressive solution? Raise taxes and "soak the rich". Then they complain about businesses leaving and wonder where all the jobs have gone? Is this a joke?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
"...had Brock not been available.."

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 70,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The problem is some corporation get away with low tax, and other get hammered. We need a level playing field that makes it easier for corporation to bring money home and re-invest in America.

Seriously though Obama not going to do a thing about.
The Republican house won't let ANYTHING happen on tax reform or immigration reform. Period. The Tea Party fanatics have guns to their heads. Any Republican who has to face a Tea Party candidate in the primary (which means just about every one) will not touch any of these hot button issues with a ten foot pole. Obama likes his executive orders, but he can't touch either of these issues without the assistance of Congress. Why don't you rightards grow the **** up?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
"...had Brock not been available.."

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 70,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
US has the highest corporate tax rate in the world, which has been forcing business out of the US for decades.

The Socialist Progressive solution? Raise taxes and "soak the rich". Then they complain about businesses leaving and wonder where all the jobs have gone? Is this a joke?
You're getting as banal and stupid as barryr. Same **** over and over and over and over.... ad infinitum.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38,085
Default

One other prob is that in the USA to get around our high rate we have a lobby system that gets special treatment for some corporations but not others.

It's a system that breeds corruption. It's amazing to me this isn't a huge liberal progressive issue.

What we have is big corporations like General Electric use deals with politicians to get special treatment. Then they move jobs overseas and make even more money.

But the bulk of American small business/corp can't do that. They get stuck paying the big % and it slows growth. It makes it so the big companies will never have to compete with smaller ones.

We should lower the domestic tax rate for corporations that don't move jobs overseas. We should split a new rate for money made overseas but then force big corporations to bring the profits home.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #19
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 20,238
Default

OP is obviously a troll post.

This joker has been constantly promoting raising taxes on everyone for years. He constantly promotes Socialism, increased government control, and raising government revenue (i.e. taxes).

Then he complains about the millions of US jobs lost due to the world's highest corporate tax rate. CLUELESS
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 38,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
The Republican house won't let ANYTHING happen on tax reform or immigration reform. Period. The Tea Party fanatics have guns to their heads. Any Republican who has to face a Tea Party candidate in the primary (which means just about every one) will not touch any of these hot button issues with a ten foot pole. Obama likes his executive orders, but he can't touch either of these issues without the assistance of Congress. Why don't you rightards grow the **** up?
It's more that Obama used up all his political capital on healthcare and now has nothing left.

Reid is holding up votes just as much as Boehner is.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
"...had Brock not been available.."

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 70,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
It's more that Obama used up all his political capital on healthcare and now has nothing left.

Reid is holding up votes just as much as Boehner is.
Bull****. It's exactly what I said it is. You just have to believe everything under the sun is Obama's fault, whether it is or isn't. Puppet.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
"...had Brock not been available.."

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 70,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
OP is obviously a troll post.

This joker has been constantly promoting raising taxes on everyone for years. He constantly promotes Socialism, increased government control, and raising government revenue (i.e. taxes).

Then he complains about the millions of US jobs lost due to the world's highest corporate tax rate. CLUELESS
It is not the corporate tax rate losing us jobs, fool. Speaking of clueless.

Here ya go, dimwit. Get somebody to read it to you:

Our study suggests that the rapid increase in U.S. imports of Chinese goods during the past two decades has had a substantial impact on employment and household incomes, benefits program enrollments, and transfer payments in local labor markets exposed to increased import competition. These effects extend far outside the manufacturing sector, and they imply substantial changes in worker and household welfare.
http://economics.mit.edu/files/6613

Chinaís entry into the World Trade Organization in 2001 was touted as a win-win development that would benefit both the U.S. and Chinese economies. Almost a decade later, it is clear that American workers have suffered significant losses. In a new paper, EPI International Economist Robert Scott calculates that 2.4 million American jobs were lost between 2001 and 2008 as a result of increased trade with China, and that those job losses have occurred in every U.S. state, Congressional district, and most industries.
http://www.epi.org/publication/count...lost_to_china/

Around 2001, the raw number of manufacturing jobs in the United States plummeted from just over 17 million to just over 14 million. After leveling off for a few years, it collapsed to around 11.5 million due to the Great Recession. Itís since seen a small rebound under President Obamaís tenure, but the continuing depression has put the long-term fate of manufacturing back on the national radar.
Yesterday, The Washington Postís Dylan Matthews reported that, according to a new paper, the 2000 normalization of trade relations between China and the United States left domestic manufacturing employment 29.6 percent lower that it would have been without the free trade policy:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...y-296-percent/

Americans were "free traded" out of their jobs. I love it when, after thirty years of failure, some right winger comes up with, "Lower taxes on corporations and deregulation will fix everything!" It's like the Hare Krishnas. I guess they think if they chant it enough, they'll get into capitalism heaven.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #23
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 20,238
Default

In your OP you rail on US businesses leaving the US (35% corporate tax rate) and going to Ireland (12.5% corporate tax rate). Did you want to talk about that, or talk about China? The reason why US businesses are going to Ireland is simple. The corporate tax rate.



China deliberately devalues the yuan in order to keep labor costs low. The US and Europe are now following suit. This is undoubtedly a major reason that gives Asia a cost-advantage to doing business in the US too, but it's not the premise of your OP.

Also, you can't seriously be promoting devaluing currency as a sustainable means of lowering business costs and promoting a healthy economy can you?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #24
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 25,355

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
It is not the corporate tax rate losing us jobs, fool. Speaking of clueless.

Here ya go, dimwit. Get somebody to read it to you:

Our study suggests that the rapid increase in U.S. imports of Chinese goods during the past two decades has had a substantial impact on employment and household incomes, benefits program enrollments, and transfer payments in local labor markets exposed to increased import competition. These effects extend far outside the manufacturing sector, and they imply substantial changes in worker and household welfare.
http://economics.mit.edu/files/6613

Chinaís entry into the World Trade Organization in 2001 was touted as a win-win development that would benefit both the U.S. and Chinese economies. Almost a decade later, it is clear that American workers have suffered significant losses. In a new paper, EPI International Economist Robert Scott calculates that 2.4 million American jobs were lost between 2001 and 2008 as a result of increased trade with China, and that those job losses have occurred in every U.S. state, Congressional district, and most industries.
http://www.epi.org/publication/count...lost_to_china/

Around 2001, the raw number of manufacturing jobs in the United States plummeted from just over 17 million to just over 14 million. After leveling off for a few years, it collapsed to around 11.5 million due to the Great Recession. Itís since seen a small rebound under President Obamaís tenure, but the continuing depression has put the long-term fate of manufacturing back on the national radar.
Yesterday, The Washington Postís Dylan Matthews reported that, according to a new paper, the 2000 normalization of trade relations between China and the United States left domestic manufacturing employment 29.6 percent lower that it would have been without the free trade policy:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...y-296-percent/

Americans were "free traded" out of their jobs. I love it when, after thirty years of failure, some right winger comes up with, "Lower taxes on corporations and deregulation will fix everything!" It's like the Hare Krishnas. I guess they think if they chant it enough, they'll get into capitalism heaven.
It is called the Trickle Down Effect you fool!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
"...had Brock not been available.."

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Trumpville (like Potterville, but stupider)
Posts: 70,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
In your OP you rail on US businesses leaving the US (35% corporate tax rate) and going to Ireland (12.5% corporate tax rate). Did you want to talk about that, or talk about China? The reason why US businesses are going to Ireland is simple. The corporate tax rate.



China deliberately devalues the yuan in order to keep labor costs low. The US and Europe are now following suit. This is undoubtedly a major reason that gives Asia a cost-advantage to doing business in the US too, but it's not the premise of your OP.

Also, you can't seriously be promoting devaluing currency as a sustainable means of lowering business costs and promoting a healthy economy can you?
You're the one who tried to change the topic to job losses, not me. The trade deals of the last three or four presidents screwed over working Americans.

So, your argument is that the United States is no better than any other country and there are no special benefits doing business here as opposed to anywhere else? That's funny. I thought you right wingers didn't like Bergdahl. Guess you do.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Denver Broncos