The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2018, 06:06 AM   #1
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 
TeamSwag

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 16,224

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C Kelly
Default Bill Maher criticizes social media bans: ‘Alex Jones gets to speak’




http://thehill.com/policy/technology...-gets-to-speak




HBO talk show host Bill Maher spoke out in defense of controversial right-wing host Alex Jones after Jones was suspended from several social media platforms, saying that everyone has a right to free speech.

Maher, noting that Jones has "told crazy lies" about him, said on his HBO show Friday that "if you’re a liberal, you’re supposed to be for free speech."

“That’s free speech for the speech you hate. That’s what free speech means. We’re losing the thread of the concepts that are important to this country,” he continued.

“If you care about the real American **** or you don’t. And if you do, it goes for every side. I don’t like Alex Jones, but Alex Jones gets to speak. Everybody gets to speak," Maher said.
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 23,003
Default

Watch the entire thing. The guests make the right civil argument and Maher back down. No one has removed Jones free speech, they just removed them from their private platforms.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #3
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 52,858

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Watch the entire thing. The guests make the right civil argument and Maher back down. No one has removed Jones free speech, they just removed them from their private platforms.
Facebook is a privately-owned platform but what if you consider Facebook or social media the Public Square? Or if you consider the internet the Public Square does that change your thoughts?
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
rmsanger
Elway > PFM
 
rmsanger's Avatar
 
Another one bites the dust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,895

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart
Default

I do indeed love Bill Maher.. I don't agree with 50% of his politics which is fine but he is a voice and a strong one at that. On top of that he is hilarious.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 
TeamSwag

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 16,224

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C Kelly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Watch the entire thing. The guests make the right civil argument and Maher back down. No one has removed Jones free speech, they just removed them from their private platforms.
i know you love surveillance, its not really a surprise you love censorship as well.
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #6
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Facebook is a privately-owned platform but what if you consider Facebook or social media the Public Square? Or if you consider the internet the Public Square does that change your thoughts?
Alex Jones isn’t banned from the public square. Alex Jones can still have his own store on the square, he just can’t go into somebody elses’s store and ignore their terms and conditions.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #7
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 
TeamSwag

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 16,224

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C Kelly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Alex Jones isn’t banned from the public square. Alex Jones can still have his own store on the square, he just can’t go into somebody elses’s store and ignore their terms and conditions.
its still censorship.
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 23,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Facebook is a privately-owned platform but what if you consider Facebook or social media the Public Square? Or if you consider the internet the Public Square does that change your thoughts?
I consider the internet the public square. Facebook/Twitter/Youtube as private gathering points. It is no different then the mane. Use family smack and you are out. If you want to use family smack there are other gathering points for you.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #9
Tonyels
Undrafted pro bowler
 
Tonyels's Avatar
 
I'm your Huckleberry

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DWolfe DEFWU
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I consider the internet the public square. Facebook/Twitter/Youtube as private gathering points. It is no different then the mane. Use family smack and you are out. If you want to use family smack there are other gathering points for you.
Guess you don’t have any problem with President Trump yanking security clearances.

Might makes right. Y’all started it.

Next up, break the monopolies up.

Tonyels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #10
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
its still censorship.
So? It’s not the government.

As a libertarian, you should be sticking up for the private sector over the government exceeding its constitutional bounds.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #11
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 
TeamSwag

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 16,224

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C Kelly
Default

doesnt matter, government or not, its still censorship.
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #12
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Watch the entire thing. The guests make the right civil argument and Maher back down. No one has removed Jones free speech, they just removed them from their private platforms.
Too great a demand on what's left of his drug-addled brain.

In any case, how funny is it to watch Bill Maher become Tiki Torch Boy's fair weather friend?
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSpicoli
doesnt matter, government or not, its still censorship.
Um, no, Spicoli.

A private corporation has no obligation to provide a platform to anyone and everyone who demands one.

But I suppose your skewed thought processes should come as no surprise coming from an alt-right snowflake who complains because the Orange Mane doesn't provide a safe space which conforms to his terms.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:01 AM   #14
Tonyels
Undrafted pro bowler
 
Tonyels's Avatar
 
I'm your Huckleberry

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DWolfe DEFWU
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
So? It’s not the government.

As a libertarian, you should be sticking up for the private sector over the government exceeding its constitutional bounds.
Who’s FB’s direct competitor?

Anti-trust coming
Tonyels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #15
Tonyels
Undrafted pro bowler
 
Tonyels's Avatar
 
I'm your Huckleberry

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DWolfe DEFWU
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.Z.Y. BROWNS FAN View Post
Too great a demand on what's left of his drug-addled brain.

In any case, how funny is it to watch Bill Maher become Tiki Torch Boy's fair weather friend?
LA Times and now Maher actually defending against some left moves

Actual objectivity?

This is actually what would cause some to listen.

But, by all means just keep cranking out memes!! Lol!!!
Tonyels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #16
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 
TeamSwag

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 16,224

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C Kelly
Default

censorship
ˈsensərSHip/
noun
noun: censorship
1.
the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #17
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 23,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyels View Post
Guess you don’t have any problem with President Trump yanking security clearances.

Might makes right. Y’all started it.

Next up, break the monopolies up.

Once again you are confusing issues and drawing false connections. Trump is acting in public capacity and is not a private citizen.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #18
Tonyels
Undrafted pro bowler
 
Tonyels's Avatar
 
I'm your Huckleberry

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DWolfe DEFWU
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.Z.Y. BROWNS FAN View Post
Um, no, Spicoli.

A private corporation has no obligation to provide a platform to anyone and everyone who demands one.

But I suppose your skewed thought processes should come as no surprise coming from an alt-right snowflake who complains because the Orange Mane doesn't provide a safe space which conforms to his terms.
The government has given internet companies special latitude. No more.

Shadow banning & censorship brings them under the same laws & scrutiny other companies live by.

Whoops!!!
Tonyels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #19
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibleBot/Choda
LA Times and now Maher actually defending against some left moves
^

Thinks Zuckerberg is "left."

In any case, please continue squirting tears for your beloved scourge of the Sandy Hook families, Choda.

Watching you play the victim is always amusing.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #20
Tonyels
Undrafted pro bowler
 
Tonyels's Avatar
 
I'm your Huckleberry

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DWolfe DEFWU
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Once again you are confusing issues and drawing false connections. Trump is acting in public capacity and is not a private citizen.
Still interesting how left considers this censorship. Pulling Security Clearances.

It’s not, you agree?
Tonyels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #21
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyels View Post
Who’s FB’s direct competitor?

Anti-trust coming
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...ompetitors.asp

https://www.marketing91.com/13-facebook-competitors/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabe.../#6c4c7c9e77db

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/fb/competitors

https://www.owler.com/company/facebook
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #22
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 84,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibleBot/Choda
The government has given internet companies special latitude.
The same companies that helped pave your Dear Leader's road to the WH (FB) and give IQ45 a pulpit from which to spew his daily bile and venom (Twitter.)

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #23
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,447

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

If a baker can refuse to bake a cake for a gay couple, then a private company removing hate speech should also be acceptable.

Can one be 'censorship' without the other being 'homophobic?'
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #24
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 23,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyels View Post
Still interesting how left considers this censorship. Pulling Security Clearances.

It’s not, you agree?
It isn't censorship, even Brennan has stated that. What it is something worse. It is attempt to use the power the of the president to intimidate and potential prevent individuals from doing legal obligations. All because they have criticized him or because they are key members of the investigation. That is why all the former CIA and DNI directors have publicly criticized this action.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:19 AM   #25
Tonyels
Undrafted pro bowler
 
Tonyels's Avatar
 
I'm your Huckleberry

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DWolfe DEFWU
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.Z.Y. BROWNS FAN View Post
^

Thinks Zuckerberg is "left."

In any case, please continue squirting tears for your beloved scourge of the Sandy Hook families, Choda.

Watching you play the victim is always amusing.
Trump to evaluate pulling more security clearances

Knight to King 3
Tonyels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Denver Broncos