The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #76
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Team's top five picks were all in my Top 100. Yaidom was connected throughout the whole process. Told a handful of people here privately we really liked him. Jewell rocks. OM gotta cry about him too?

Draft Picks:

Round 1: 5th overall - Quenton Nelson, G - Notre Dame
Round 2: 24th overall - Ronald Jones, RB - USC
Round 3: 74th overall - Jamarco Jones, OT - Ohio State
Round 4: 109th overall - Jeff Holland, OLB/PRS - Auburn
Round 4: 128th overall - JC Jackson, CB - Maryland
Round 5: 161st overall - Tegray Scales, LB - Indiana
Round 5: 163rd overall - Jaleel Scott, WR - New Mexico State
Round 6: 182nd overall - Durham Smythe, TE - Notre Dame
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #77
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Req where were you the last couple days?
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #78
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Req where were you the last couple days?
Hiking and camping.

Draft Picks:

Old 04-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #79
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Plus we got Holland in UDFA. That's a steal. Bed-****ting in calue for me in the OM Mok.

Draft Picks:

Old 04-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #80
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Plus we got Holland in UDFA. That's a steal. Bed-****ting in calue for me in the OM Mok.
I'm so hoping Holland just lights its up in camp and makes either Ray or Barrett expendable and they can trade one to a desperate team for a really solid player in return.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #81
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

I hope he makes it. If not, he can be on PS like Shaq was then compete.

Draft Picks:

Old 04-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #82
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I hope he makes it. If not, he can be on PS like Shaq was then compete.
The draft is so overwhelming, and when I read he was a UDFA I couldn't believe it. I just assumed he got drafted in the 5th.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #83
MamaMia
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Fair enough, about Jewell. I guess we will see.
MamaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #84
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Let me point out something about this draft for everyone drooling over the fact that we've supposedly rebuilt this defense with a few players where we had holes. I've not read everything in here so maybe this has been addressed, maybe not, but take notice of it since it's significant.

The 2015 defense was built on pure speed...lots of it. We had the fastest defense in the NFL, bar none. The choices I'm seeing here do not fit that profile. Jewel is a plodder (4.82), and so is Issac Yiadom (4.56) and Keishawn Bierria (4.79). The fact that a guy like Jewell is a film junkie who can diagnose plays and has no wasted steps is obviously an important part of this because it partially negates the lack of top-flight speed in close quarters. But it's still a departure from the model Philips worked with to produce that defense. Assuming these players will dislodge guys like Anderson and Davis is presumptive. The same holds true BTW for the receivers we drafted. DT isn't just bigger, he's considerably faster than the SMU kid for example. I like some of these selections, and others I'm not sure of. College production is great, and a guy like Jewell might have the game that translates well to the NFL, or he may not. For every slow-footed guy drafted who makes it in the league as a starter, a bunch do not. A CB who runs a 4.56 forty may have other skills or attributes that make up for that, or he might just be a bench guy who holds down the special teams role for a couple seasons and then gets cut.

I'm assuming very little at this point. Past drafts with this regime have proven disappointing, and if you pull up the conversations on this board during those drafts, you'll find similar comments to the exuberance expressed in this one.

Wait and see...
You are aware that Marshall ran a 4.81 40 right? TJ Ward ran a 4.56 40. Darian Stewart a 4.53. Danny Travethan ran a 4.82 at his pro-day and didn't run at the combine.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #85
qbronco
Lifelong Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

Jewell does nothing flashy, but seems to have great instincts and heart. I hope he turns out to be a rock steady ILB in our Defense.
qbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #86
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Let me point out something about this draft for everyone drooling over the fact that we've supposedly rebuilt this defense with a few players where we had holes. I've not read everything in here so maybe this has been addressed, maybe not, but take notice of it since it's significant.

The 2015 defense was built on pure speed...lots of it. We had the fastest defense in the NFL, bar none. The choices I'm seeing here do not fit that profile. Jewel is a plodder (4.82), and so is Issac Yiadom (4.56) and Keishawn Bierria (4.79). The fact that a guy like Jewell is a film junkie who can diagnose plays and has no wasted steps is obviously an important part of this because it partially negates the lack of top-flight speed in close quarters. But it's still a departure from the model Philips worked with to produce that defense. Assuming these players will dislodge guys like Anderson and Davis is presumptive. The same holds true BTW for the receivers we drafted. DT isn't just bigger, he's considerably faster than the SMU kid for example. I like some of these selections, and others I'm not sure of. College production is great, and a guy like Jewell might have the game that translates well to the NFL, or he may not. For every slow-footed guy drafted who makes it in the league as a starter, a bunch do not. A CB who runs a 4.56 forty may have other skills or attributes that make up for that, or he might just be a bench guy who holds down the special teams role for a couple seasons and then gets cut.

I'm assuming very little at this point. Past drafts with this regime have proven disappointing, and if you pull up the conversations on this board during those drafts, you'll find similar comments to the exuberance expressed in this one.

Wait and see...
Yeah, that's not really true. The defense was predicated on multiple angles of pass rush allowing the secondary to play with aggression to take more chances for pass breakups and ints.

Yiadom doesn't seem to have great ball skills but his speed isn't going to be a problem unless our pass rush goes to hell. Sherman/Peters etc who are length corners tend to be 4.5 40 guys but it's their length with play recognition that allows them to play with aggression. Yiadom seems really coachable as the staff saw him firsthand so they obviously believe he can fit that length/aggression type of outside CB. If he had ran a 4.4 40, with his length he would have been drafted much earlier so we'll see.

Between Walker, Chubb, Shelby Harris/Gotsis, Wolfe, Von we should have enough horses up front to attack the pocket from all angles.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:11 PM   #87
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

Quote:
Team's top five picks were all in my Top 100. Yaidom was connected throughout the whole process. Told a handful of people here privately we really liked him. Jewell rocks. OM gotta cry about him too?
OM minus a few people has pretty much loved the draft this weekend.

Elway and company put in serious work this weekend.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #88
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

Quote:

Wait and see...
Our potentially nickel D is:

Von-Walker-Wolfe-Chubb

Marshall

Cravens-Simmons-Stewart-Harris-Roby-Brock/Yiadom

I wouldnt consider that "slow"

And the reason the 2015 defense was so good was because it was good in the DL, 5-6 deep, two great all-around linebackers, and the best secondary in football with an elite pass rush.

Last edited by LikeABoss5820; 04-29-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Old 04-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #89
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Yeah, that's not really true. The defense was predicated on multiple angles of pass rush allowing the secondary to play with aggression to take more chances for pass breakups and ints.

Yiadom doesn't seem to have great ball skills but his speed isn't going to be a problem unless our pass rush goes to hell. Sherman/Peters etc who are length corners tend to be 4.5 40 guys but it's their length with play recognition that allows them to play with aggression. Yiadom seems really coachable as the staff saw him firsthand so they obviously believe he can fit that length/aggression type of outside CB. If he had ran a 4.4 40, with his length he would have been drafted much earlier so we'll see.

Between Walker, Chubb, Shelby Harris/Gotsis, Wolfe, Von we should have enough horses up front to attack the pocket from all angles.
I said this about Yiadom:

Quote:
A CB who runs a 4.56 forty may have other skills or attributes that make up for that, or he might just be a bench guy who holds down the special teams role for a couple seasons and then gets cut.
I was really talking more about Jewell. The BC kid is a nickel corner at best right now. That defense WAS built on speed, so he and the Washington kid both look like a departure from that model. Does that mean they can't play? No. Does it mean they won't change the nature of the defense a bit? I'd say if you've got a new directive that doesn't consider speed a top priority, it could. That might not have a radical difference in the overall play, but it's worth taking stock of.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #90
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
That will pay off next year if we don't have to spend two draft picks at OLB.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #91
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I just read that Trevathan ran a 4.82 forty. Some guys can just play.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #92
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
Elway's said before he believes in game speed over 40 speed.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #93
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Hiking and camping.
Were you running with bigfoot or away from bigfoot?
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:01 PM   #94
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Were you running with bigfoot or away from bigfoot?
With him. Stumbled over a big graveyars of dead cattle and deer. Collected. Alot of bones.

Draft Picks:

Old 04-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #95
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Trevathan was a 4.6 guy, he pulled up with a hamstring during the 40 at the combine.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #96
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post

That was awesome. Rep!
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #97
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
He ran like a 4.5 or something in a workout with the Broncos. I remember Fox commenting in an article that they knew he was a 4.5 speed guy when they drafted him.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #98
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

If we donít, someone should be fired.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #99
Bronco Yoda

@3:00 bwhahahaaaaaaa YES

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #100
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
@3:00 bwhahahaaaaaaa YES

Oh my, Iím really liking this guy. He really has a nose for the ball, doesnít he?