The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #376
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Need to lock up DRC and Harris and we'll be set at CB for a few years with Webster and those two. We have hardly even missed a step without Champ. Thats something that never could have happened before this year.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #377
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
Need to lock up DRC and Harris and we'll be set at CB for a few years with Webster and those two. We have hardly even missed a step without Champ.
We've definitely missed a step without him ... last year averaged 199 passing yards allowed per game, 3rd best in the league. This year it's 280 per game, 5th worst. But you're probably right, in that the pass rush is the bigger culprit.

I agree with signing Harris JR and DRC PDQ.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #378
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
We've definitely missed a step without him ... last year averaged 199 passing yards allowed per game, 3rd best in the league. This year it's 280 per game, 5th worst. But you're probably right, in that the pass rush is the bigger culprit.

I think teams passing attempts are higher this year too. Last year dumervil and Von were pressuring consistently. Several times a game id see a QB force a throw because dumervil was closing in. This year there's some pressure but I've seen too many plays where opposing QBs just sit there waiting for someone to get open. From the looks of it I think Von misses dumervil on the other side. Phillips has stepped up but not like a consistent rush that forces QBs into bad throws/incompletes.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #379
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

There is no way we pay DRC enough to lock him up. That dude came here with a plan...kick ass and play hard for a year, get paid...profit. He's going to hit FA this year and go to the highest bidder.

Not saying he shouldn't, but there is no way he's signing until he sees what he can get on the open market.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #380
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
There is no way we pay DRC enough to lock him up. That dude came here with a plan...kick ass and play hard for a year, get paid...profit. He's going to hit FA this year and go to the highest bidder.

Not saying he shouldn't, but there is no way he's signing until he sees what he can get on the open market.
Maybe, but Champs money is largely going to be available for him. He can get a pretty fat contract here.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #381
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post

He also came here to fix his flaws and regain his pro bowl form.
Unless the Broncos go cheap or he tanks the rest of the year I could see them working out a 2-3 year bridge deal(NHL language)
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #382
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
I think teams passing attempts are higher this year too. Last year dumervil and Von were pressuring consistently. Several times a game id see a QB force a throw because dumervil was closing in. This year there's some pressure but I've seen too many plays where opposing QBs just sit there waiting for someone to get open. From the looks of it I think Von misses dumervil on the other side. Phillips has stepped up but not like a consistent rush that forces QBs into bad throws/incompletes.
The 2013 Broncos are on pace to face nearly 100 more pass attempts than the 2012 Broncos.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #383
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I've been amazed by the run defense this year. The DL has been boss this year, in shutting down the run game via gap control and keeping our LBs free to make plays.

If I had to pick between a shutdown pass D vs a shutdown run D, I'll take the dominant run D everytime. Last year, (it felt like) teams were able to gash us right up the middle. This upcoming NE game will be a great barometer to gauge the transformation from last year. Eff Brandon Bolden, guy had a a monster game against us last year.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #384
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
I've been amazed by the run defense this year. The DL has been boss this year, in shutting down the run game via gap control and keeping our LBs free to make plays.

If I had to pick between a shutdown pass D vs a shutdown run D, I'll take the dominant run D everytime. Last year, (it felt like) teams were able to gash us right up the middle. This upcoming NE game will be a great barometer to gauge the transformation from last year. Eff Brandon Bolden, guy had a a monster game against us last year.
Bolden? I remember Ridley tearing up Denver's D.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #385
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Ridley def tore us up, but I ended up more butt hurt about the fact that they were dominating so completely that they let Bolden run train on us too.

I looked up the stats and they're aren't as bad as my memory remembers...he has 14 carries for 54 yards (4 first downs).
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #386
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

also, how much of that yardage has come when our offense is up by 2 or 3 scores and we have taken our foot off the gas? that is a problem with the rankings and yardage stats. they don't tell the full story.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #387
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
He also came here to fix his flaws and regain his pro bowl form.
Unless the Broncos go cheap or he tanks the rest of the year I could see them working out a 2-3 year bridge deal(NHL language)
no way will he do that. he plays a premier position and has shown he has elite talent when he wants to use it. in the NFL these guys get their rookie deal and after that if they are lucky 1 big contract that gets them to the end or near the end of their careers. By doing a 2-3 year bridge deal he loses a lot of potential money. By the end of that deal he is 30-31 and no longer seen as an in his prime player. He will be looking for a 5-7 year deal that pays him extremely well and ensures he is paid until his mid 30s.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #388
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Bolden? I remember Ridley tearing up Denver's D.
Yup, they gutted us rushing last year. 54-251 total. Ridley had 28-151. Funny seeing it was Welker who killed us in the passing game, 13-104.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #389
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
no way will he do that. he plays a premier position and has shown he has elite talent when he wants to use it. in the NFL these guys get their rookie deal and after that if they are lucky 1 big contract that gets them to the end or near the end of their careers. By doing a 2-3 year bridge deal he loses a lot of potential money. By the end of that deal he is 30-31 and no longer seen as an in his prime player. He will be looking for a 5-7 year deal that pays him extremely well and ensures he is paid until his mid 30s.
Wouldn't you "rather have an average defensive tackle"...?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #390
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Bump -- I actually didn't think Webster played too badly in the loss to the Chargers. Rivers had an eternity to throw on each play, and was fitting it into VERY small windows on each pass.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #391
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Bump -- I actually didn't think Webster played too badly in the loss to the Chargers. Rivers had an eternity to throw on each play, and was fitting it into VERY small windows on each pass.
Yup. KW got picked on but he didn't get much help.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #392
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yup. KW got picked on but he didn't get much help.
He's usually in the vicinity. But his ball awareness seems to be a lot of his problem. Maybe that comes with experience. But for now, he's having a tough time.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #393
stoxman
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
He's usually in the vicinity. But his ball awareness seems to be a lot of his problem. Maybe that comes with experience. But for now, he's having a tough time.
Agreed. He may develop into a good CB but he's not anywhere close yet. Champ has taken him under his wing (at least we are getting something for the $10 mil) and I'm sure that is helping his transition from college. We need him to step up BIG next year.
stoxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #394
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
That one Rivers dropped about half an inch below Websters hand was an incredible pass against perfect defense.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #395
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Rivers made some sick throws and Keenen Allen is just a great young WR. CB is the harderst position on defense to master and I'm sure Webster will get better.

On the flip side, Andre Caldwell didn't have a bad game. I think Manning was feeding him the ball not so much because he's great, but because Welker is concussed and Caldwell has to step up.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote