The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #76
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Anyone calling 3.5 trillion dollars in government spending "austerity" is a certifiable moron. Not at all surprising that it's Rohirim, the barometer of wrong.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #77
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

The deficit in 2008 was a then-record $450 billion. Obama pledged he would cut it in half by the end of his first term. He didn't say he would cut in half after it tripled.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #78
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
The deficit in 2008 was a then-record $450 billion. Obama pledged he would cut it in half by the end of his first term. He didn't say he would cut in half after it tripled.
He also wasn't the cause of it tripling...
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #79
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheelz View Post
Some of us have experienced it firsthand, dude. When you guys talk about cutting spending, people like me know that that means cutting our measly monthly SSI check or my nursing coverage or medication that I need to just survive. To you, these are just abstract numbers, but not to us. So when people propose ideas that don't completely screw us further and you say that we can't because the rich will pick up the ball and go somewhere else... it is crazy to us. Living on social programs isn't fun, I don't want to. But it's necessary for me to even have a chance at life.

I'm not sure what this has to do with us practicing austerity. We haven't approached anything remotely close to austerity.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:28 AM   #80
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
I believe you are wrong. The Deficit in 2008 was similar to 2009's deficit. Remember the first bailout spending came under Bush.

Since then it has been cut almost 4x the amount.

Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:20 AM   #81
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
I believe you are wrong. The Deficit in 2008 was similar to 2009's deficit. Remember the first bailout spending came under Bush.

Since then it has been cut almost 4x the amount.

Find a graph that shows the deficits before 2009. The average deficit during Bush's presidency was $250 billion. I actually agreed with Obama when he criticized those deficits. Didn't you? I'm not happy that we are talking about numbers two or three times bigger than Bush's deficits as improvements.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:56 AM   #82
Hotwheelz
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm not sure what this has to do with us practicing austerity. We haven't approached anything remotely close to austerity.
Uh, yes we have. You know how many cuts people have had to deal with? You have no idea that it's happening because you are lucky enough to not need many of the social programs people like me need. All you see are numbers, but people are truly suffering due to cuts. You need to leave your little libertarian bubble and actually see how many spending cuts people have had to go through.
Hotwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:37 AM   #83
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Find a graph that shows the deficits before 2009. The average deficit during Bush's presidency was $250 billion. I actually agreed with Obama when he criticized those deficits. Didn't you? I'm not happy that we are talking about numbers two or three times bigger than Bush's deficits as improvements.

You can see from this graph the deficit doubled in 2008 from 2007. That is when the economy collapsed and bottomed out in 2009

Old 07-21-2014, 03:48 AM   #84
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's cute that you all like to pretend the massive deficit in 2009 was due to the Obama admin. It wasn't. Rent a clue. NO matter who was elected (Obama, McCain, even Paul) that was unavoidable. Hell, it's not even directly due to the Bush admin.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:27 AM   #85
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
It's cute that you all like to pretend the massive deficit in 2009 was due to the Obama admin. It wasn't. Rent a clue. NO matter who was elected (Obama, McCain, even Paul) that was unavoidable. Hell, it's not even directly due to the Bush admin.
I never blamed it all on the Obama administration. I'm calling him out for pledging to cut our deficit in half if he gets elected. Meanwhile, he was on the campaign trail strongly urging congress to bail out the banks.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #86
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

And yet, the deficit hawks say that spending cuts combined with tax cuts will lead to more private investment which will boost the economy so we can make more spending cuts, etc. We have already seen, for thirty years, that this is not going to happen. It's like the Keystone Pipeline: There is no guarantee that oil will benefit us. It will benefit the oil companies who will sell it on the international market. Tax cuts to investors could just as easily (and more likely, due to our political dysfunction) go to overseas investments or into offshore banks to sit, doing nothing for America. So you cut, people (and sectors of the economy) who are damaged by the cuts spend less and less, investors go offshore, and the downward spiral continues. And the deficit becomes of secondary importance because your economy continues to suck. In a consumer economy, you need to get money into the hands of people who will spend IN YOUR ECONOMY, not take the money offshore.

Right now, corporations are sitting on billions because of our political dysfunction. They don't give a damn what the deficit is.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 07-21-2014 at 06:11 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #87
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Wait a minute. WTF?
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/21/op...sis.html?&_r=0
Old 07-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #88
Bronco Yoda

The deficits I'm most concerned with at this time are the scary 'hidden deficit' kind- Our aging infrastructure.

It's all fun and games until that bridge you're driving on starts to crumble under tires.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #89
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheelz View Post
Uh, yes we have. You know how many cuts people have had to deal with? You have no idea that it's happening because you are lucky enough to not need many of the social programs people like me need. All you see are numbers, but people are truly suffering due to cuts. You need to leave your little libertarian bubble and actually see how many spending cuts people have had to go through.

You don't get it - these freeloading food stamp Kings and Queens must be ground into the dust to save the national economy.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/17/news...ex.html?iid=EL
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #90
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Just wait when more and more people are getting higher insurance costs when the employer mandate kicks in, magically moved after the November elections.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #91
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
The deficits I'm most concerned with at this time are the scary 'hidden deficit' kind- Our aging infrastructure.

It's all fun and games until that bridge you're driving on starts to crumble under tires.
We don need no stinkin' infrastructure!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #92
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
We don need no stinkin' infrastructure!
I guess the Republicans are counting on the billionaires to develop floating cars so we don't need any roads.... well only the poor people but who cares about them?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 PM   #93
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

If only the government could spend more money. This friggin austerity is killing us. How can any country get by on a measly 3.5 trillion?
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #94
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
If only the government could spend more money. This friggin austerity is killing us. How can any country get by on a measly 3.5 trillion?
3,500,000,000,000 is 18x more than the number of stars in our galaxy. But who cares about the numbers. Austerity means we are reducing spending. Well, I guess not. Total spending ten years from now will be $6,000,000,000,000. That's like 30x the stars in the galaxy. Where does it end? There is no way revenue can ever keep up. It stays 15%-20% of GDP regardless of tax rates.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #95
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The liberal solution is tax everybody more and spend more money on things that only benefit the few, if anybody at all. If they did this with their own money, they'd see the results and could not hide from reality.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #96
nyuk nyuk
Good kid

In the hizzouse

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!

So like Democrats controlled both houses after Obama's election and did dick with it, and like any negative economic problems and the impasse on amnesty is like the result of like Republican obstructionism and austerity and ****.

Really!
nyuk nyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #97
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I am a pre 1981 style republican.
Welcome to the endangered species list.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #98
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
In a consumer economy, you need to get money into the hands of people who will spend IN YOUR ECONOMY, not take the money offshore.
^

That really is the long and short of it.

You'd think this concept would be simple enough for even Rush's minions to understand.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #99
nyuk nyuk
Good kid

In the hizzouse

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!

Quote:
In a consumer economy, you need to get money into the hands of people who will spend IN YOUR ECONOMY, not take the money offshore.
That's part of it. The other part of it is importing workers legal or otherwise and giving them jobs at lesser pay than Americans.
nyuk nyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #100
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!