The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default Pot is awesome

Crime down and revenue up in Colorado since start of marijuana legalization

The great green experiment underway in Colorado is continuing to yield considerable results after five full months of marijuana legalization, according to the latest statistics out of the first state in America to lift the prohibition on pot.

Crime in Colorado’s capital city, Denver, has dropped by more than a tenth, local law enforcement data reveals, and the state as a whole is expected to collect around $30 million in revenue this year as a result of weed taxes.

Colorado became the first of the 50 states to allow adults to legally purchase recreational marijuana at the start of 2014, and advocates, critics, politicians and the public from coast-to-coast have been looking that way ever since to see what that precedent-setting decision could mean for their own localized efforts to reform weed laws. Nearly half a year later, evidence suggests the experiment is largely so far a success.

Between January 1 and April 30, violent crime and property crime in Denver — the most populated city in Colorado, in terms of both people and weed dispensaries — dropped 10.6 percent compared to that same span one year earlier, official statistics reveal. Homicides have dropped to less than half of last year’s levels, and motor vehicle theft has shrunk by over one-third.

Economically speaking, rolling back the weed ban in Colorado has done wonders as well. The Associated Press reported this week that nearly $19 million in recreational marijuana was sold throughout the state in just the month of March, with $1.9 million of that going immediately to Denver to be divvied up by lawmakers to various state programs.

By the end of the year, weed taxes are expected to net Colorado around $30 million, which as of this week will be used on a plan that puts that money into mostly child drug use prevention and outreach, the AP reported, which means more school nurses and public education efforts funded by marijuana excises. The New York Times reported this week that those taxes have so far provided the state with around $12.6 million. According to Reuters, the latest year-end projection in total revenue generated is around $98 million—exceeding the state’s original estimate by 40 percent.

For the rest of the article: http://rt.com/usa/163644-colorado-marijuana-crime-drop/
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

I love Pot! I wish I worked at a place that didn't random drug test.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Haven't done it since college 30 years ago. Don't miss it a bit.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

But, but...its a Gateway.....
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
But, but...its a Gateway.....
Dont get me wrong. I love pot. But it is a gateway drug. Ever heard of "pot depression". After a while pot will stop working for you. People start doing uppers just to do pot to feel that high again. That wh3n you get in trouble.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Dont get me wrong. I love pot. But it is a gateway drug. Ever heard of "pot depression". After a while pot will stop working for you. People start doing uppers just to do pot to feel that high again. That wh3n you get in trouble.
I thought that is what the potato chips were for?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
slick7
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

They just need to buy better stuff.
slick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #9
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
So you disagree? We'll see. I bet the one year crime rates for Denver will be significantly lower than last year.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Meh, alcohol has the same problem.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Laughable.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

As someone who has smoked pot almost everyday for 20 years , and has the money to do whatever drug he wants . I have never done or wanted to do any other drug , so no idea how it is a gateway drug.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
As someone who has smoked pot almost everyday for 20 years , and has the money to do whatever drug he wants . I have never done or wanted to do any other drug , so no idea how it is a gateway drug.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #14
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
SO TDMVP, where do you get your pot from?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #15
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
SO TDMVP, where do you get your pot from?
Ohio ... ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Pot is awesome, but to compare that to crime rate is a bit far fetched. It' slike saying I have a rock that keeps Tigers away.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
NorthernistCaliforneeway7
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
NorthernistCaliforneeway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Green gold: Colo. underestimated pot demand

A study on the Colorado marijuana market is providing economists and business professionals an inside look at the pot industry for the first time. Regulators in the Centennial State have released the brief for the Colorado Department of Revenue, which reveals a number of interesting items, including that Coloradans are consuming a lot more cannabis than was previously estimated. There is also a large market for tourists taking part. The study accounts for recreational and medical marijuana, giving an in-depth look at the total market activity for what may be the first time in history.

What is the major takeaway from the study? That folks in Colorado are consuming a lot of marijuana — 130 metric tons per year, actually. Of the state's 5.36 million people, 485,000, or 9%, are identified as regular adult marijuana users. While that doesn't seem like an awful lot, the most frequent users are by far creating the most demand. Heavy users especially, or those who use cannabis on a daily or near-daily basis, have been the biggest drivers. According to the study's numbers, the top 21.8% of the heaviest users account for 66.9% of the demand. In stark contrast, the lightest users — those that use marijuana less than once per month on average — make up roughly one-third of the entire user pool but only represents 0.3% of total demand.

As far as tourists and visitors are concerned, out-of-state customers are definitely bringing money into the state. There is an estimated 8.9 metric tons of demand for visitors alone, and the numbers are skewed between rural and urban environments. It's estimated that 44% of retail sales in metro areas like Denver are made by out-of-state visitors, and a whopping 90% in the more rural mountain counties.

All of the data shows a large underestimate by regulators as to how big the demand would actually be for retail marijuana in the state, and most of that demand has been driven by the heaviest users, according to the study.

Rest of article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...mand/12690415/

Is it too early to call the legalization of pot in Colorado a success?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #19
nyuk nyuk
Good kid

In the hizzouse

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!

Crime has been trending downward long before weed was legalized. Nice attempt at correlation equals causation, though.
nyuk nyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
nyuk nyuk
Good kid

In the hizzouse

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!

Quote:
Because those who experiment with weed often move on to other things.

You may also want to check out the negative effects of long term daily use of weed.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #21
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Colorado welfare recipients are using ATMs located inside marijuana retail shops to withdraw cash.

The money was given to them by taxpayers to help their families survive, but an exclusive Fox31 Denver investigation found some cash benefits most likely going toward marijuana purchases.

http://kdvr.com/2014/02/19/welfare-c...ado-pot-shops/
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #22
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
The Gateway drug thing is dumb. I smoked in HS. I never once thought "hmmmm doing a line of coke sounds good right about now". They need to legalize it and get it over with.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #23
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Colorado welfare recipients are using ATMs located inside marijuana retail shops to withdraw cash.

The money was given to them by taxpayers to help their families survive, but an exclusive Fox31 Denver investigation found some cash benefits most likely going toward marijuana purchases.

http://kdvr.com/2014/02/19/welfare-c...ado-pot-shops/
Why did Colorado kill that bill that would have prevented such withdrawals in pot shops and strip clubs? Why do these "survival" ATM cards have no oversight in the first place?
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #24
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Marijuana as a Gateway Drug: The Myth That Will Not Die

Quote:
Scientists long ago abandoned the idea that marijuana causes users to try other drugs: as far back as 1999, in a report commissioned by Congress to
look at the possible dangers of medical marijuana, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences wrote:
Quote:
Patterns in progression of drug use from adolescence to adulthood are strikingly regular. Because it is the most widely used illicit
drug, marijuana is predictably the first illicit drug most people encounter. Not surprisingly, most users of other illicit drugs have used marijuana first.
In fact, most drug users begin with alcohol and nicotine before marijuana — usually before they are of legal age.

In the sense that marijuana use typically precedes rather than follows initiation of other illicit drug use, it is indeed a “gateway” drug. But because
underage smoking and alcohol use typically precede marijuana use, marijuana is not the most common, and is rarely the first, “gateway” to illicit
drug use. There is no conclusive evidence that the drug effects of marijuana are causally linked to the subsequent abuse of other illicit drugs.
http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/2...-will-not-die/
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #25
nyuk nyuk
Good kid

In the hizzouse

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Marijuana as a Gateway Drug: The Myth That Will Not Die

http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/2...-will-not-die/
Alcohol and nicotine aren't illicit. Other than that, thanks for posting a link which proves the point that people often DO start with weed in the illicit drug arena and then move up the ladder of danger.

Myths dispelled indeed.