The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default So long, Dex!

Okay, I am going to be the good soldier and put this thread in the MLB forum where it is apparently supposed to go. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the only post in the thread. At most, we might have three or four others.

Today is the darkest recent day for me as a Rockies fan. Dexter was a home-grown player, under team control for two more years. He was a good presence in the clubhouse. He was an A+ defender. And while streaky, his hitting and pitch selection was improving. He is exactly what the team should be valuing, under their system.

There have been reports of several teams who were interested in him. One would think that the team is in the perfect spot - one in which they can drive the price up to the highest bidder. Perfect.

So, what do they do? They pull the trigger on a deal in which they get in return a potential fifth starter with a high fly ball to ground ball rate (he should pick Jeremy Guthrie's brain about how to pitch successfully here - it would be a fun conversation to eavesdrop) - a guy that has five pitches - all below average. Then, they get a 27-year-old outfielder who is going to have a heck of a time even making the club. His .205 lifetime average with 8 homers and 38 RBI doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. The 19 BB to SO doesn't do much for me, either.

Is there a method to this madness? Even if the plan is to use the Fowler savings to beef up elsewhere, it doesn't mean we had to get pennies on the dollar for Fowler.

I'm frustrated as heck right now, and rumors of a Justin Morneau signing aren't going to offset the Fowler stench.

At this point, the only thing that would make me happy would be to find out the Monforts were planning on selling the team.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links