The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #201
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

My cream always rises to the top. *tish*
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #202
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I am willing to bet it had more to do with keeping Tony Carter as far away from the field as physically possible in 2013, which I wholeheartedly agree with.
oh i second that emotion. i don't want that mother to see the field except in garbage time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
My cream always rises to the top. *tish*
so stop playing with yourself then.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #203
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
oh i second that emotion. i don't want that mother to see the field except in garbage time.
Last spot on the Defense could come down to Duke Ihenacho or Tony Carter.

The dime CB doesn't have to be all-world, but they do have to have their head in the game, give maximum effort, and bring down the ballcarier anywhere on the field, at all costs. That's what Webster does best.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #204
CEH
Ring of Famer

More I watch and learn about Kayvon, the more I like and can't wait to see him in action this summer

My 2nd favorite pick behind Sly
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #205
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

The Webster pick will make more sense to me if they plan to move him to safety. Elway did announce him as a "defensive back" rather than a corner, so maybe that's the idea. The one area of his game that seemed to get universal high marks was his physical play against the run, so maybe they see him as an in-the-box SS with the speed to match up in man coverage.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #206
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
The Webster pick will make more sense to me if they plan to move him to safety. Elway did announce him as a "defensive back" rather than a corner, so maybe that's the idea. The one area of his game that seemed to get universal high marks was his physical play against the run, so maybe they see him as an in-the-box SS with the speed to match up in man coverage.
They do not plan on him starting anytime soon. They want him in the dime packages. I imagine the same package Leonhard was in that is where they would like Webster.

I think they are wanting more athleticism and speed on the defense. I think Adams should be worried.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #207
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
More I watch and learn about Kayvon, the more I like and can't wait to see him in action this summer

My 2nd favorite pick behind Sly
Wow that's quite a statement do you have any links to what has impressed you so?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #208
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I think they are wanting more athleticism and speed on the defense. I think Adams should be worried.
Adams is on the team for this year whether people like him or not. Had they not been satisfied with his efforts, he would have been off the roster in March before he was due his bonus. I can see Webster growing into a Sam Brandon-like role on this team. He isn't as tall as Brandon was, but just as physical of a player. Whatever he ends up being, I just hope he is successful.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #209
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I keep telling ya he's Denver's Ed Reed but people just laugh.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #210
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Wow that's quite a statement do you have any links to what has impressed you so?
Mainly Youtube. Having a friend who works for a draft site and interviews about 50 prospects a year, he said Kavyon was one of the top 3 tackling DBs in America and this was before the draft.

With an eye on his tackling prowess , I thought the Florida State highlights showed plenty of his natural skills.

Kayvon had a national 4th round grade so he really wasn't a reach but more of a diamond in the rough. Looking forward to seeing him in JDR's defense

plus when you get to play with your idol (in Champ), the kid must be stoked
Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #211
Bacchus

Quote:
Adams is on the team for this year whether people like him or not. Had they not been satisfied with his efforts, he would have been off the roster in March before he was due his bonus. I can see Webster growing into a Sam Brandon-like role on this team. He isn't as tall as Brandon was, but just as physical of a player. Whatever he ends up being, I just hope he is successful.
Well, I do not think Webster will be ready to take Adam's spot this year. They willl start seeing what he can do in the nickle and dime packages for sure.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #212
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I keep telling ya he's Denver's Ed Reed but people just laugh.
Except they are not even comparable players.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #213
Bmore Manning

I'm just curious what evidence there is that Webster will be playing Safety..? The Elway quote spoke about his coverage ability, tackling, and speed..

News flash, this is the direction the NFL is trending. His best attributes are man to man skills and a physical prowling playing style. That's what Seattle is using in their corners and others are adopting to the trend.

Also with this new option offense that seems to be taking the NFL by force, requires physical corners who can tackle. That's where your match-up advantage is, Webster is the type of player who can assist with run support, while still playing in coverage. Could he be a safety? Sure. But I think he's going to be groomed as a CB.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #214
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I don't know if there is any evidence for it, just speculation. I think he would do well as a Sam Brandon-like player. Maybe playing in a man-to-man offense will give him a better ability to make plays and get some picks, but usually zone corners do a good job of doing that because that is just how it works and he didn't do a whole lot in that regard with the Bulls. I don't see big time ball skills with him as a player.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #215
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Mainly Youtube. Having a friend who works for a draft site and interviews about 50 prospects a year, he said Kavyon was one of the top 3 tackling DBs in America and this was before the draft.

With an eye on his tackling prowess , I thought the Florida State highlights showed plenty of his natural skills.

Kayvon had a national 4th round grade so he really wasn't a reach but more of a diamond in the rough. Looking forward to seeing him in JDR's defense

plus when you get to play with your idol (in Champ), the kid must be stoked
What do you mean by national 4th round grade? That seems a little interesting to me.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #216
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Consensus fourth round grade my rear end.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #217
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I'm just curious what evidence there is that Webster will be playing Safety..? The Elway quote spoke about his coverage ability, tackling, and speed...
Agree, but in today's NFL with the big, speedy, WR-like TE's your safties sometimes need these attributes.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #218
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
What do you mean by national 4th round grade? That seems a little interesting to me.
He didn't elaborate the details behind his statement. Just said For the record, had a National 4th round grade. I'll query him some more and if he wants to provide details I'll be sure to let you know. Maybe a PM
Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #219
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

My guess is that this guy (your friend) is referring to National Football Scouting based out of Tulsa. There is also BLESTO. I'm pretty sure National runs the logistics behind the combine too. So what I infer from your statement, is that the scouts at National had Webster as a fourth round guy.

Teams with BLESTO: (ATL, BUF, CHI, CLE, DAL, DET, HOU, JAC, MIA, MIN, NYG, PIT).

Teams with NATIONAL:
(AZ, CAR, CIN, DEN, GB, KC, NO, NYJ, PHI, STL, SD, SF, SEA, TB, TEN).

More on BLESTO and NATIONAL.

So based on this, it does make sense. Thanks for sharing, CEH.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #220
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Agree, but in today's NFL with the big, speedy, WR-like TE's your safties sometimes need these attributes.
That's absolutely correct. But at the time he was selected, there were plenty of safeties still on the board, who had better attributes of a safety and played the position in college..

If we wanted a free safety, there were plenty on the board, Phillip Thomas, Bacarri Rambo, Josh Evans.. It seems the front office is content with Moore.

If we wanted a strong safety, there were plenty on the board, Shawn Williams, Duke Williams, Earl Wolfe.. With Carter hopefully back from injury, our FO seems to have a trend of giving their draft choices time to develop.

Back to Webster, his best attributes are his physicality and speed. He shows incredibly fluid hips and change of direction to turn and run. This is press man corner all day, and he is a physical very willing tackler. I'm not saying he can't and won't be used as a match-up DB, but this player has corner written all over him.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #221
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Consensus fourth round grade my rear end.
Yeah. Scouts Inc. (Todd McShay's outfit) rated him as a high 4th (#111 prospect overall), but I didn't see anyone else who rated him that high.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #222
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I'm just curious what evidence there is that Webster will be playing Safety..? The Elway quote spoke about his coverage ability, tackling, and speed..
I think the general consensus is that Webster was a reach at CB but his skill set makes for a very interesting safety. He is fast and is a very good tackler.

He only had 3 ints his whole Career at South Florida. That speaks safety to most people.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #223
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
My guess is that this guy (your friend) is referring to National Football Scouting based out of Tulsa. There is also BLESTO. I'm pretty sure National runs the logistics behind the combine too. So what I infer from your statement, is that the scouts at National had Webster as a fourth round guy.

Teams with BLESTO: (ATL, BUF, CHI, CLE, DAL, DET, HOU, JAC, MIA, MIN, NYG, PIT).

Teams with NATIONAL:
(AZ, CAR, CIN, DEN, GB, KC, NO, NYJ, PHI, STL, SD, SF, SEA, TB, TEN).

More on BLESTO and NATIONAL.

So based on this, it does make sense. Thanks for sharing, CEH.
The national rankings based on that would be solely a preseason ranking without the benefit of the senior year, done by the most junior scouts and least accurate consensus. I do not believe Webster was that high on the preseason rankings, to only finish as a potential draftee with a 6-7 round ranking late. A lot of the better draft sites buy this list in the summer before doing the pre-season watch lists for their sites. I do not remember Webster ever being in the top 30 CB's as a senior. I could be wrong, but that is the one list I look at early of all the positions.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #224
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I think the general consensus is that Webster was a reach at CB but his skill set makes for a very interesting safety. He is fast and is a very good tackler.

He only had 3 ints his whole Career at South Florida. That speaks safety to most people.
Not to me, that speaks someone who didn't jump routes and demonstrate great awareness and ball skills while in zone coverage. Safety's are more often than not diagnosing plays in front of them and have to have the awareness and instincts to diagnose and jump plays. Because he's a good tackler he's a safety? I'm not buying that..
Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #225
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Here's where Kayvon was rated by various media outlets, according to my records:

117: ESPN (mid-4th rounder)
155: National Football Post (mid-5th rounder)
287: CBS Sports (UDFA)
378: NFL.com (UDFA)
Not Ranked: Pro Football Weekly (not in Nolan Nawrocki's top 150)
Not Ranked: Draft Insiders (not in Tony Pauline's top 150)
Not Ranked: Mike Mayock (not in his top 100)
Not Ranked: Gil Brandt (not in his top 100)
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote