The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #126
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
hard to know if this is bs or not. The Broncos said last year they were ok with their DTs for the most part and they didn't really do anything of note in FA to address this. Then they drafted Wolfe in the 2nd round.
They never said they were "ok" with the DT's in the 2012 offseason. They offered Bunkley a contract, then they offered Soliai a contract. They got neither, so they drafted Wolfe. Then they signed Bannan.

I don't think they're going to go after MLB's this offseason. It's not hard to imagine Irving playing as good, or better than Brooking played in 2012. Though I wouldn't be mad if they did. They know what they have in Irving and Johnson.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #127
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I wasn't quite sure we would draft MLB early, but now I am pretty certain it will be MLB and DT in rounds 1 and 2.
I don't think so.

They absolutely MUST acquire another top flight CB due to the pending departure of Tracy Porter, and UDFA Tony Carter's lazy, incosistent play. I would bet the farm that they pick a CB in round 1 or 2.

I also think they drafted Wolfe to play UT, and I think he will start there this season. I hope they draft a real impact 4-3 DE in round 1.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #128
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I don't think so.

They absolutely MUST acquire another top flight CB due to the pending departure of Tracy Porter, and UDFA Tony Carter's lazy, incosistent play. I would bet the farm that they pick a CB in round 1 or 2.

I also think they drafted Wolfe to play UT, and I think he will start there this season. I hope they draft a real impact 4-3 DE in round 1.
DE is one of the worst positions to draft, the failure rate is extremely high even in the 1st round - the probability of getting an impact RDE is minimal in this draft, RDE is not a strong position this year with only 2 real 1st round candidates (Datone Jones, Ezekiel Ansah) and both of those come with the same problems Robert Ayers, lack of consistent performance, lack of starter experience.

CB would be nice, but I expect them to go with a veteran in FA on a one year deal. Bolden and a veteran should be enough to give some options at nickel over Carter and nobody is going to take Champ and Harris starter positions.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #129
Agamemnon

Quote:
I don't think so.

Why on earth would we draft a DE in the first round when we already have the best edge rushing duo in the league? That makes no sense...
Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #130
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
CB would be nice, but I expect them to go with a veteran in FA on a one year deal. Bolden and a veteran should be enough to give some options at nickel over Carter and nobody is going to take Champ and Harris starter positions.
1. They are only have about $3M to spend in Free Agency (as of right now).
2. It's possible they get another 1 year vet, but it's much better to get somebody in the mix(longterm) who can learn from Champ, help get us to the SB, and possibly take over for him in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Why on earth would we draft a DE in the first round when we already have the best edge rushing duo in the league? That makes no sense...
Tell the NY Giants that it made no sense to draft Jason Pierre-Paul #15 in the 2010 draft even though they had Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck. Or how about when they had Strahan and Osi, and drafted Tuck.

If you double Von Miller, the Broncos pass-rush is dead in the water.

Last edited by pricejj; 02-17-2013 at 10:25 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #131
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Middle Linebacker is probably one of the most overrated positions in football.

Unless your MLB is the leader and the guy calling plays for the defense it really is an overrated position.

For the Broncos all we need is a 2 down linebacker that can play the middle. Steven Johnson and Nate Irving can battle it out and fill that role just fine I am sure. or restructure DJ and slap him in the middle. MLB is the least important role in the Denver defense.

Broncos Base Nickle Package should be something like

3 CBs (Champ, Harris, Bolden or Carter)
2 Safeties (Moore, ?) I'd like to see a true veteran S here not Adams
2 LBs (Woodyard & Trevathan)
3 DE (one of them being Von the other being Wolfe as a DT)
1 DT (Vickerson? or Draft Pick)

Last edited by KevinJames; 02-17-2013 at 10:18 PM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #132
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I cant fathom someone watching football as long as you have and being this ignorant of it.

BECAUSE VON RUSHES THE PASSER is why we need another coverage linebacker in the nickel, you annoying ****ing twit.
Oh that CUTS IT! Tell me where you are right now dammit, we're settling this TONIGHT!!

Seriously though, how is another coverage LB so mandatory? Woodyard is nails in coverage and Trevathan should be working into the rotation asap. And I never actually said anything about that, I said two things: 1) I don't like Miller coming off the field, and 2) MLB is the least important role in the Denver defense..

You really believe I don't know Von rushes the passer? That's sad.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #133
Bacchus

Drafting Shariff Floyd would make and average LB look good.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #134
pricejj
jungle

Just as soon as I dish on Mayock, he comes correct with the DE ratings in this draft. He's got Sam Montgomery near the top, and isn't so high on some of the other's (Mingo, Jones, or Jordan). Exactamento!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #135
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Oh that CUTS IT! Tell me where you are right now dammit, we're settling this TONIGHT!!

Seriously though, how is another coverage LB so mandatory? Woodyard is nails in coverage and Trevathan should be working into the rotation asap. And I never actually said anything about that, I said two things: 1) I don't like Miller coming off the field, and 2) MLB is the least important role in the Denver defense..

You really believe I don't know Von rushes the passer? That's sad.
Nickel packages constitute approximately 2/3 of the defensive snaps.

There's a reason we were chewed up over the middle ALL SEASON long, and Trevathan and his whopping 3 PDs is not the answer.

Also, none of this has anything to do with Miller and whether or not he comes off the field.

You're seriously one of the more football incompetent people on the entire message board and I literally can't fathom how someone could possibly be this ignorant. You're like a small child in a grown, ugly man's body.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #136
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Just as soon as I dish on Mayock, he comes correct with the DE ratings in this draft. He's got Sam Montgomery near the top, and isn't so high on some of the other's (Mingo, Jones, or Jordan). Exactamento!
Your football takes are ok, but your Louisville Spanish sucks. It's "exacto", or "exactamente". Jebus, you probably say "correctamundo" also, no?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #137
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

The only Mike I would be happy with is Minter. I would much rather get a play making safety like Eric Reid with our first pick. I would really be happy with Bostic in the 4th or 3rd though. A DT would be cool but I would be happy with resigning Big Vick and Bannan (for depth) and signing Knighton.
Bigdawg26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #138
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Your football takes are ok, but your Louisville Spanish sucks. It's "exacto", or "exactamente". Jebus, you probably say "correctamundo" also, no?
Lociento Suave-mente, didn't mean to ruffle your sombrero.

Viva La Rasa!!! ooooooohhhyayayaaaah!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #139
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
eh, Brown should be there. but after the last MLB from KSU i'm kind of skeptical on drafting him. Pierce's bomb out makes me cynical of KSU.
Granted Brown is a nice talent.
Ummm...what?

I'll tell you what. I'll see your Pierce and raise you Terence Newman and Jordy Nelson.

True story: I once met Pierce, and introduced myself as a Broncos fan. I don't really know why Pierce didn't work out, but he CLAIMS that he just didn't get along with Shanahan. Take it for what it's worth...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #140
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
True story: I once met Pierce, and introduced myself as a Broncos fan. I don't really know why Pierce didn't work out, but he CLAIMS that he just didn't get along with Shanahan. Take it for what it's worth...
The dude was mega-flat footed. You could tell in preseason that he wasn't a playmaker. Then he had a slew of injuries.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #141
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Lociento Suave-mente, didn't mean to ruffle your sombrero.

Viva La Rasa!!! ooooooohhhyayayaaaah!!!
"Lo siento", not what you said, cabron. Perdoneme would be more appropriate. Not bad for Front Range Spanish, though. "Suavo" is what you meant to say, verdad? Just a little more refinement . . . . .
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #142
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Broncos | MLB will be a focus at combine
Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:07:58 -0800

The Denver Broncos will closely look at the performances of middle linebacker prospects during the NFL Scouting Combine. Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o could be an option in the first round if he slips.

0 Comments | Source: ESPN.com - Bill Williamson |

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=2#ixzz2LU6Ku9f7
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #143
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Elway: "Dammit, Bill don't you understand what kind of game we're playing here?!?"
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #144
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Bill Williamson has the best job in the world. Really. I think he works about 45 min a day
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #145
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

ok, fine i'll admit it for now. we're not likely to take a MLB early. Elway said in his presser that the focus was on the nickel D and Irving + Johnson competing for the spot in camp.

i think it's GM speak but... for now it could be not likely that was draft a MLB.
which means no excuse to not get some DT's and a RB.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #146
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Fox was asked if Nate Irving is ready to become the team's starting middle linebacker — alongside Wesley Woodyard at weakside linebacker and Von Miller at strongside linebacker — after not playing much in his first two seasons with the Broncos.

"I don't know that yet," Fox said. "We know he's definitely capable. He's going to get an opportunity. We've got some young players who need to graduate into more playing time. I feel confident that he'll do that."

Read more: Broncos safety Rahim Moore targeted by coach John Fox to show more growth - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2LeE1VETx
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #147
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...s-linebackers/

1. Daryl Smith

2012 Grade: -1.3
2012 Snaps: 117

Summary: This long-time Jacksonville Jaguar hasn’t gotten as much attention as he deserves since joining the league in 2004. He spent nearly all of the 2012 season injured and played only in the last two games. Prior to that he was the standard for 4-3 outside linebackers. In 2011 he finished third in Run Stop Percentage at 10.6%, in Pass Rushing Productivity (for those with at least 50 pass rushes) at 13.0, and in Yards per Coverage Snap at 0.67. Many of the free agent linebackers available are good at one or two of those things, but he is the rare talent who can do it all. He will be 31 in a month, so his best football might be behind him, but even if he can’t reach the same heights he once did, he can still be a great upgrade for most teams.

2. Erin Henderson

2012 Grade: +1.0
2012 Snaps: 702

Summary: In 2011, Henderson emerged as a starter with the Minnesota Vikings and made his presence known in the run game. An early-season injury caused him to miss some time and he didn’t play as well during the middle of the season, but he still managed the sixth best Run Stop Percentage, at 9.8%. Despite the few poor games midseason post-injury, in other games he showed flashes of dominance, including games with a +5.3 and +4.2 Run Defense rating. He might be best suited as a two-down player, as he has only seven games as an every-down player, but his dominance against the run can’t be ignored.

3. Brad Jones

2012 Grade: +9.0
2012 Snaps: 688

Summary: After some underwhelming play as a 3-4 outside linebacker, the Packers moved Jones to inside linebacker. Then Green Bay had injures at the position which allowed Jones to emerge as an every-down starter. He managed a positive run defense rating in nine of 11 regular season games. In coverage, he allowed a 68.4% Catch Rate, which was fifth best for middle/inside linebackers who were targeted at least 30 times. He might lack highlight plays, so fans might not be excited to have someone like Brad Jones on their team, but the fact that he can play both run and coverage well makes him a valuable option.

4. Philip Wheeler

2012 Grade: +9.8
2012 Snaps: 1,044

Summary: After spending his first few years in the league with the Colts, for the 2012 season Wheeler signed a one-year deal with the Raiders and emerged as an every-down starter. Although this isn’t the main role of a 4-3 outside linebacker, he was most impressive as a pass rusher, where he managed three sacks, 14 hits and 13 hurries on 126 pass rushes. He had a breakout game against the Steelers when he forced fumbles of both the starting Steeler receivers. His low Run Stop Percentage of 5.4% is a concern, although it was better in his last year with the Colts. At worst he seems a very effective nickel linebacker, and at best an every-down player who becomes an average run defender.

5. Nick Barnett

2012 Grade: +6.0
2012 Snaps: 1,025

Summary: After two decent years in Buffalo, the Bills released the veteran linebacker. He showed sparks in 2012 of still being a great player, recording four games with four or more stops. He had a positive coverage grade in 2012, in large part due to quarterbacks avoiding him. His 9.4 cover snaps per target was the highest in the league for 4-3 outside linebackers. His Tackling Efficiency of 17.2 was sixth-best for 4-3 outside linebackers with at least 50 tackles. By the time the 2013 season hits he will be 32, so he won’t be making an impact in the league much longer. However, he can be a short-term fix as an every-down linebacker.

6. Leroy Hill

2012 Grade: +4.8
2012 Snaps: 514

Summary: Early in the 2012 season Hill lost his spot as an every-down linebacker due to the emergence of Bobby Wagner, but still played in the base defense. In his limited playing time he remained a decent run stopping linebacker, posting a Run Stop Percentage of 7.4%. In 2011, when he was an every-down linebacker, he allowed just 0.69 Yards per Coverage Snap which was fourth-best in the league for 4-3 outside linebackers. The fact the Seahawks began giving time to Malcolm Smith late in the season could mean Hill is out in Seattle. He is also on the wrong side of 30, but he can still fill the role of an every-down or part-time 4-3 outside linebacker wherever he is added.

7. Brian Urlacher

2012 Grade: -11.2
2012 Snaps: 727

Summary: In 2012 it was very clear Brian Urlacher wasn’t the player he once was when stopping the run. His Tackling Efficiency of 5.0 in the run game was the worst among inside/middle linebackers. The reason he makes this list is he is still a very good player in coverage. He had five passes defended, which was tied for the second among inside/middle linebackers, and his 0.70 Yards per Coverage Snap was fifth-best at the position. He is one of those players that is hard to imagine in any other uniform than the Bears’ blue and orange, but with a new coaching regime he might need to finish his playing days elsewhere. It might be pricy to have this eight-time Pro Bowler, but it looks like he still has some football left in him.

8. Justin Durant

2012 Grade: -0.1
2012 Snaps: 875

Summary: Over the past three years, Durant has shown in both Jacksonville and Detroit that he can make big plays in the run game. His Run Stop Percentage of 9.9% was fourth at his position in 2012. The problem is he also misses a lot of tackles ,with 14 missed this year and 10 the previous year. He had the sixth-worst Coverage Rating in 2012 in large part due to his missed tackles, but was average in both his catch rate allowed and his yards per catch allowed. He is a two-down or borderline three-down player that is high risk/high reward in his play.

9. Kaluka Maiava

2012 Grade: +7.9
2012 Snaps: 498

Summary: If a team wants a younger option at linebacker, Kaluka Maiava emerged as a solid part-time player in the Browns’ defense in 2012. The 2009 fourth-round pick’s best asset was his play in coverage where he allowed 0.50 Yards per Coverage Snap, which was by far the lowest for 4-3 outside linebackers, although it came on only 156 coverage snaps. He never allowed a catch longer than 15 yards on the year which helped keep that number low. His low Tackling Efficiency of 7.7 is a reason to be concerned, but the potential is there to be a good nickel linebacker.

10. Thomas Howard

2012 Grade: +2.3
2012 Snaps: 62

Summary: In 2012, Howard played in Week 1, and proceeded to miss the rest of the season with an injury. In 2011, Howard was used as an every-down linebacker with the Bengals, but might be best suited for a nickel linebacker role. He allowed a 73.4% catch rate and 8.7 yards per catch, which were both below league average, and he had an additional three passes defended for good measure. Thomas has said his knee is doing “absolutely fabulous”, so despite missing 2012 he should be ready to go in 2013.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #148
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
ok, fine i'll admit it for now. we're not likely to take a MLB early. Elway said in his presser that the focus was on the nickel D and Irving + Johnson competing for the spot in camp.
i think it's GM speak but... for now it could be not likely that was draft a MLB.
which means no excuse to not get some DT's and a RB.
link?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #149
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Brad Jones and Phillip Wheeler would be interesting.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #150
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
"Alec Ogletee charged with DUI

Former Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree, a likely first-round pick in the 2013 draft and one of the top prospects at inside linebacker, was arrested recently for DUI.

It’s not the first red flag on Ogletree’s record. During the 2012 college football season, Ogletree was suspended four games by the Bulldogs after a positive drug test."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rged-with-dui/
So cut DJ and draft him so we have DJ the II?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote