The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #26
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Walton made a big improvement last year over the previous. Was is due to TWKPME - (The Well Known Peyton Manning Effect) or just good coaching (or both!) is yet to be seen. I don't mind if they give him another year or so to develop before they cut ties/make him a backup.
They had time under Josh. Then Fox comes in and changes most everything and they have NO offseason to learn stuff, next year Manning comes to town and everything changes again.

He was having his career year and since the hard part of the schedule was over how bad can koppens be considering he was a super vet. Has an inherent ability to make OL calls.

What irks most folks is that many of Joshes draftees are doing well now and they hate him so much that they have blind spots about the talent he brought in.

Someday that will get over it and move on many are still hung up on mikey not being here some are pissed that Fox is here some are flat ignorant.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #27
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9,914

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
They had time under Josh. Then Fox comes in and changes most everything and they have NO offseason to learn stuff, next year Manning comes to town and everything changes again.

He was having his career year and since the hard part of the schedule was over how bad can koppens be considering he was a super vet. Has an inherent ability to make OL calls.

What irks most folks is that many of Joshes draftees are doing well now and they hate him so much that they have blind spots about the talent he brought in.

Someday that will get over it and move on many are still hung up on mikey not being here some are pissed that Fox is here some are flat ignorant.
I have no problems at all who drafts who. I only care about production on the field. Let's not forget, Walton was just in his 2nd year when he was playing center in a normal offense, then it got switched up about midseason for the Tebow offense. Then they get PM and really a new style of offense altogether so he's had quite a bit thrown at him so early. I agree I thought he was really making nice strides before he got hurt. I think playing with PM is only going to help him understand line calls much better. I think his talent and his size/strength are just fine (6'3 305/ 34 reps). Once the mental things start clicking a little faster, he'll be a good center for a long time.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #28
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Zona keep in mind you are arguing with someone that thinks Clady shouldn't be resigned because he was drafted by Shanahan.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #29
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,508
Default

I keep hearing Beadles/Walton/Kuper/Koppen are grading out well etc etc but when we play on Sundays we aren't very good at short yardage running. When we get inside the 10 yrd line it never seems like we can just power it in to the endzone like a good running team should be able to do.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #30
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I have no problems at all who drafts who. I only care about production on the field. Let's not forget, Walton was just in his 2nd year when he was playing center in a normal offense, then it got switched up about midseason for the Tebow offense. Then they get PM and really a new style of offense altogether so he's had quite a bit thrown at him so early. I agree I thought he was really making nice strides before he got hurt. I think playing with PM is only going to help him understand line calls much better. I think his talent and his size/strength are just fine (6'3 305/ 34 reps). Once the mental things start clicking a little faster, he'll be a good center for a long time.
Just seemed like he got rag dolled by the big DT in the league. He's a young player though he could still get better.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #31
Ziggy
Pro Bowler
 
Ziggy's Avatar
 
Noob

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Not buying it. I used to dislike Walton too. But he was in the process of kicking it into another gear when he was injured.

If you think Koppen is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you are crazy. He was New England's 4th Center (whom they cut), and isn't very good at run blocking anymore.

...but I'm sure the Broncos coacihng staff is wrong, and you are right.
Where did I say that Koppen was the greatest thing since sliced bread? I said that our line was greatly improved when Walton went out. Facts are facts. It has more to do with Walton than Koppen.

The Broncos coaching staff had to give Koppen time to learn the system. Koppen wasn't at training camp. He wasn't signed until after the first game. We have no idea if the coaching staff was going to make a change at center or not before the injury. There's a reason they brought in Koppen after Walton played in the preseason and the first regular season game. Try to keep up.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #32
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Where did I say that Koppen was the greatest thing since sliced bread? I said that our line was greatly improved when Walton went out. Facts are facts. It has more to do with Walton than Koppen.

The Broncos coaching staff had to give Koppen time to learn the system. Koppen wasn't at training camp. He wasn't signed until after the first game. We have no idea if the coaching staff was going to make a change at center or not before the injury. There's a reason they brought in Koppen after Walton played in the preseason and the first regular season game. Try to keep up.
You are correct but i think it has more to do with Manning/Koppen than Walton/Koppen.

Koppen is a vet with SBs and used to running the no huddle offense. It all comes second nature to him. When he came into the lineup he was able to take charge and really work with Manning.

Walton was a second year player just trying to figure his own game out. I think Walton will be much better this year. Just like if he would have stayed in the line-up last year he would have improved greatly over the season.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #33
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
There's a reason they brought in Koppen after Walton played in the preseason and the first regular season game. Try to keep up.
You mean other than the fact that we didn't have any halfway decent back ups in case of injury?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #34
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
You mean other than the fact that we didn't have any halfway decent back ups in case of injury?
I agree.

When Blake was put on IR they needed to sign a center. They did not sign a center because Walton sucked they signed Koppen because Blake was puton IR.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #35
Lolad
Ring of Famer
 
Fan

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,762

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

You think that they drafted Blake for depth? He was supposed to push Walton for a roster spot. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't think Blake is working out we draft another OL that can play C/G
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #36
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,067

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Hey, if Beadles can go from being ranked the worst OG in the league one year to probowler the next, anything is possible I guess.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #37
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Hey, if Beadles can go from being ranked the worst OG in the league one year to probowler the next, anything is possible I guess.
Its true!
Give the kid another year, and lets see what happens.






















But re-sign Koppen too.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #38
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9,914

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
You think that they drafted Blake for depth? He was supposed to push Walton for a roster spot. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't think Blake is working out we draft another OL that can play C/G
Love your logic

Wouldn't you say that any player drafted they have hopes will push to be a starter? Why else would you draft the guy if you didn't think he could improve his game and be a starter some day.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #39
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,613

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Love your logic

Wouldn't you say that any player drafted they have hopes will push to be a starter? Why else would you draft the guy if you didn't think he could improve his game and be a starter some day.
So you think a few years back, when we drafted a 6th round pick at CB while we have Champ Bailey in his prime, is going for a starter position? Teams have realistic views of potential of a player. Teams will get a running back in the 2nd round and then in the 4th round because they need a starter and the 4th rounder might be able to take it and is drafted as depth or as insurance #2 doesn't work out. Many times you draft for depth knowing in a few years you will go get a stud to fulfill the retired (or free agent) player. It is a bonus for a 6th round player to become a starter. If they thought they can and was not a problem college player, why would they take that chance and draft him later?

Stop gaps are free agent signees and late round draft choices.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #40
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I keep hearing Beadles/Walton/Kuper/Koppen are grading out well etc etc but when we play on Sundays we aren't very good at short yardage running. When we get inside the 10 yrd line it never seems like we can just power it in to the endzone like a good running team should be able to do.
Our interior line has protection issues whenever they face good interior rushers as well. Every time people say anything good about our garbage interior line I just .
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #41
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 10,370

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Barrett Jones provides solid competition and depth across all three interior line spots. Just sayin'.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #42
Ziggy
Pro Bowler
 
Ziggy's Avatar
 
Noob

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
Barrett Jones provides solid competition and depth across all three interior line spots. Just sayin'.
Jones is one of my favorites in this draft. The injury has dropped him down draft boards, but I still think he'd be a steal at 28 or lower. I could see Elway doing what he did with Wolfe last year and trading down to get his man.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #43
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Jones is a versatile player, but not worth it at #28 unless you think he is starting right away somewhere on the line for the team.

Last edited by Requiem; 02-22-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #44
Lolad
Ring of Famer
 
Fan

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,762

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Love your logic

Wouldn't you say that any player drafted they have hopes will push to be a starter? Why else would you draft the guy if you didn't think he could improve his game and be a starter some day.
I don't feel like digging for the article but Walton was pissed they drafted a C. In the same round they drafted Walton!
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #45
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Walton and Blake were not drafted in the same round.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #46
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,582

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

I actually like Blake and think he will push for a starting spot this year. A year of conditioning and core work should do him some good. He played RT and C at Baylor and squats 635 pounds. He is just a strong guy.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #47
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Where did I say that Koppen was the greatest thing since sliced bread? I said that our line was greatly improved when Walton went out. Facts are facts. It has more to do with Walton than Koppen.

The Broncos coaching staff had to give Koppen time to learn the system. Koppen wasn't at training camp. He wasn't signed until after the first game. We have no idea if the coaching staff was going to make a change at center or not before the injury. There's a reason they brought in Koppen after Walton played in the preseason and the first regular season game. Try to keep up.
Both Fox and Elway have made it clear that Walton is the starter, and that they are happy with him. Hence the name of the thread.

They brought Koppen in as a solid vet presence who could teach Walton a lot, and contribute in case of emergency...kinda like Keith Brooking, and Jim Leonhard.

Like I said before, I used to dislike Trash Can greatly. He showed me fire last year, watching him play...I know Manning is pretty high on him too. That's enough for me.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #48
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Jones is a versatile player, but not worth it at #28 unless you think he is starting right away somewhere on the line for the team.
I think a starting RG could be had in the draft fairly easily if necessary. Travis Frederick, Larry Warford, Brian Winters, or Alvin Bailey could all start at RG immediately.

Edit: Scratch off Frederick and Winters.

Add: Johnathan Cooper and Barrett Jones

Last edited by pricejj; 02-22-2013 at 03:15 PM..
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #49
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,124

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Yeah, the depth at guard in this class is crazy. I think Jones will be a good NFL player, but I want someone who is gonna bosshog that candy on Sunday's. Score points. Make touchdowns. Slap a cheerleader or two. yadayaymean?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #50
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I personally would send Kuper his walking papers save his salary and draft a starting G in this draft.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Denver Broncos