The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
Pontius Pirate
Tampons are for pussies

PS4 Is Sony’s Last Stand, And It’s Wasting It On A Tired Strategy That Ignores How The Gamer Is Changing

http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/20/pla...ired-strategy/

GOLDMAN: Sony's PS4 Is So Lame It May Cause A 'Downward Spiral' For The Company

http://www.businessinsider.com/goldm...-on-ps4-2013-2
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Don't forget 1080P. My 360 doesn't do that.
Actually, it does!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Won't play psx games
Won't play ps2 games
Won't play ps3 games

What is the draw for any gamer to buy a new system seriously sony.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #29
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Won't play psx games
Won't play ps2 games
Won't play ps3 games

What is the draw for any gamer to buy a new system seriously sony.
same will happen to us that have xbox360 I guess.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #30
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

From what I picked up from my tech savy friends, it is nearly impossible to emulate the PS3 on the PS4, which would nix any backwards compatibility.
I kinda doubt Microsoft looks to build backwards compatibility as well going forward, and just market games on Xbox live so essentially, you double pay for games and they make more money. Same with Sony and the PSN.

Someone brought up Final Fantasy, and Sony does not own that franchise. That is Square-Enix. And talking about catering only to certain demographics, that is what got fans into games. Square changing Final Fantasy has turned the backs onto a lot of their fanbase to be honest. They might have gained some other fans, but at what cost?
Some companies just need to stick to what works, and expand on that.

What Sony needs to do is throw money at Kojima and get them to make Metal Gear Ground Zeroes for the PS4 and have it launch with the console. Then hope the games coming out after that are strong enough to hold sales until more titles start coming in.

One thing I don't get is the need to put a touch interface on the controller. Controllers are going to be costly it appears.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post

Someone brought up Final Fantasy, and Sony does not own that franchise. That is Square-Enix. And talking about catering only to certain demographics, that is what got fans into games. Square changing Final Fantasy has turned the backs onto a lot of their fanbase to be honest. They might have gained some other fans, but at what cost?
Some companies just need to stick to what works, and expand on that.

FF used to be my favorite games ever. The new ones are way to JapPop for my taste and their stories are always too weird. I just can't get into them.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #32
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
FF used to be my favorite games ever. The new ones are way to JapPop for my taste and their stories are always too weird. I just can't get into them.
They lost me at FF-7 (US). There was some sort of ball...sport...I dunno. Just never got through it.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #33
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
same will happen to us that have xbox360 I guess.
I thought it was even worse, that xbox wasnt going to allow used games to be played, the games were going to marry to the machine and not be able to be used anywhere else.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #34
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yup. The truly last FF I can thing that was awesome was FFX. FFVI, VII & VIII are my favorites. And while FF might not be owned by Sony, it's one of their top selling points. FFXIII Versus is only for the PS and from what they have showed and talked about, it's a mix of FF8 and FFX. FF started on nintendo, but PS has been home since FFVII. Same thing with Metal Gear. Sony doesn't own that franchise, but still every one knows that PS and Metal Gear are a packaged deal.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #35
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

The last good one was 9
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #36
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #37
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Microsoft will go the entertainment box, not just games. Sony seems to be going after the core gamer market. We will see who wins.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #38
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
I thought it was even worse, that xbox wasnt going to allow used games to be played, the games were going to marry to the machine and not be able to be used anywhere else.
As of now a rumor, and Sony is considered to do the same as well(rumor).
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #39
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I used to get so excited about these big budget videogame event/releases, but the game industry has just gotten dumbed down to the extreme lately.

I couldn't play more than 1 level of the newest Assassins creed when it came out, had to put it down, there's no longer problem solving, challenge, difficulty, or a feeling of reward or gratification at all in these things.

Its just one clip of 3d animated film to the next with button presses in between. Now why would i play the game rather than watch a movie? I don't get it.

Videogames used to require thinking and were very gratifying to beat. PC games as someone said i think are the way to go, they target an audience that prefers entertainment at least slightly north of mindless and challenge-less.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #40
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Altered Beast and Ghouls and Ghost. Those were the days.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #41
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Altered Beast and Ghouls and Ghost. Those were the days.
Play it again. It's not as good as you remember. You're a clunky Persius copy from the original Clash of the Titans who beats up slow moving undead and gets powerful by kicking blue pigs and turning into animals.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Here is the problem with the video game industry, specifically AAA console games:

You have a model that is increasingly expensive and hit driven with each leap in technology. It's very difficult for most studios to cover cost because, despite big sales numbers, the audience still isn't big enough to sustain more than a few heavyweights. There are only a handful of studios that don't have to risk everything each time they put out a new game. This reduces risk taking both from funders (publishers) and creators (devs). The result is an industry that needs to expand its audience to sustain itself but refuses to take the risks necessary to cater to more types of people. It's stuck producing teenage power fantasies that cater to one or two demographics.

The $60 price tag is also alienating to potential new gamers but is viewed as a necessity given the audience size. The high price then puts pressure on developers to pad their games with filler content to make them longer. The time commitment of many AAA games is another alienating factor. Controls and gameplay mechanics need to be mastered before you even get into the meat of the 30+ hour experience. Give me a $15 two hour game any day of the week because, as a working adult, I really don't have much disposable time to devote to entertainment. This is a big reason why social games or games like Call of Duty and Madden are so popular - they're relatively simple and offer quick play sessions with easy rewards. Players also have a sense of when they're going to end - imagine going into a movie theatre and not knowing if you'd be there for a few hours or a few days. Existing members of the gaming community don't like to hear this because it suggests that their lives lack balance. In reality I think it just suggests they're deeply passionate about games.

The smaller the audience, the less diversity of talent you're going to get entering the industry 5-15 years down the road. That diversity is essential for long term growth because it spurs the kind of creative innovation needed to attract new players. In the film industry, they at least have a large, global, if a bit battered, independent community and its visibility continues to push people with diverse backgrounds and interests into creative roles. Granted, only a tiny fraction make it, but the result is a medium with offerings for everyone.

There is hope in the emergence of "big indies" like That Game Company (Flower, Journey) but these examples are far too few. To its credit, Sony in particular has recognised the value of pushing indies to the forefront of its online experience. Hopefully all the big players can continue to nurture indies from the small experiments to larger mid-scale games that have the potential to really grab large swathes of people. I look to possible disrupters like the Valve console and the Ouya for additional help in this arena.

And with that I announce my retirement from the video game industry!
The problem here is that you're really outlining the fundamental reason why there's market segmentation while arguing that there shouldn't be.

There's a market for $4 Android games, just like there's a market for $60 shooters. There's also a market for MMORPGS that cost much more (in the long run) Some people just move from one market to another because of circumstance. It happens to everyone sooner or later. There's nothing wrong with that. But it doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the market you're leaving behind. Sometimes those markets overadjust to trends. They're pretty worried about cheap/free games on mobile devices. But like all other innovation, eventually that gets tired and everyone starts looking for something new.

PC is my primary platform recently. I've been an Xboxcateer for the last two gens, but I'll have to wait to find out how much Kinect they try to ram down my throat this time around.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #43
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I bought the PS3 for the Blue Ray and to play Madden on, I think it was the fact Madden didn't support the PC platform anymore which factored into the decision. That and the fact that we remodeled the basement and I needed a DVD/Blue ray player for it.

I didn't get the Yellow Death until about 6 months ago, I paid to have it fixed, the refurb unit died a couple weeks after I got it and then they gave me a newer generation of the PS3, it is not as pretty as the 1st gen.

I am not sure what I would do when this one dies, hopefully I get another 3-5 years out of it. Plus I don't play Madden anymore so there isn't a big need for me to replace it. The kids have a WII upstairs they play with.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote