The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #2351
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer
 
ohiobronco2's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
When you get a $50m a year contract from NBC, you don't need anyone else.
It really depends on if they value money over national championships. I'll be interested to see the formula that determines the future national championship. If they select the top teams by conference in a playoff, ND will need to join one or be left out.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #2352
StugotsIII
O-H
 
StugotsIII's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,451

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
When you get a $50m a year contract from NBC, you don't need anyone else.
They make less than Indiana per year thanks to the Big Ten Network…


That is a fact.


That deal made them a lot more money than everyone else back in the day, but now…they are leaving money on the table.


And they will be left out in the rain when there are 4 major conferences with a playoff…


ND will have to join.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #2353
StugotsIII
O-H
 
StugotsIII's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,451

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i have more faith in the ACC lasting and being strong than i do the Big 12.
The ACC just lost an original member in Maryland to the Big Ten…


The ACC will lose far more than that…and replace them with terrible products…
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #2354
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
The ACC just lost an original member in Maryland to the Big Ten…


The ACC will lose far more than that…and replace them with terrible products…
I agree with this. ACC is living on borrowed time. We need to get into a super conference fast.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #2355
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 7,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
The ACC just lost an original member in Maryland to the Big Ten…


The ACC will lose far more than that…and replace them with terrible products…
the problem though, the Big 12 promised Texas to not create a Big 12 network and allow the Horns to have their own to keep them in the conference. it doesn't matter who wins the conference or even if a team win the NC. they will still make less money than Texas each year.

that's part of the reason Mizzou,Colorado,Nebraska & A&M left.
the ACC won't have that issue. plus, most schools aren't going to fork over the exit fee to leave without a top notch league to help them. Clemson,Tech,FSU & etc ain't joining the big 12 with Texas making all the dough.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #2356
StugotsIII
O-H
 
StugotsIII's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,451

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
the problem though, the Big 12 promised Texas to not create a Big 12 network and allow the Horns to have their own to keep them in the conference. it doesn't matter who wins the conference or even if a team win the NC. they will still make less money than Texas each year.

that's part of the reason Mizzou,Colorado,Nebraska & A&M left.
the ACC won't have that issue. plus, most schools aren't going to fork over the exit fee to leave without a top notch league to help them. Clemson,Tech,FSU & etc ain't joining the big 12 with Texas making all the dough.
Those teams left because they thought Texas was leaving as well…


Texas ended up staying.


The ACC is done.


The Big 12 will live on...
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #2357
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,221

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Those teams left because they thought Texas was leaving as well…


Texas ended up staying.


The ACC is done.


The Big 12 will live on...
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #2358
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Those teams left because they thought Texas was leaving as well…


Texas ended up staying.


The ACC is done.


The Big 12 will live on...
Yep. I know FSU and Clemson want out....and if the NC schools bail the conference is dead. It is hanging by a thread. Swofford kept it temporarily alive by adding ND as a partial member....unless they can somehow persuade them to be a full member...it will be tough for the ACC to get a better TV contract and therefore susceptible to losing members.

I'm very concerned about this. If we get an offer from the Big12 or B1G...I'd bail and pay the exit fee if I were Donna.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #2359
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
They make less than Indiana per year thanks to the Big Ten Network…


That is a fact.


That deal made them a lot more money than everyone else back in the day, but now…they are leaving money on the table.


And they will be left out in the rain when there are 4 major conferences with a playoff…


ND will have to join.
I think CU gets like $22m a year from the Pac, I don't know what the Big 10 schools get.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #2360
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,221

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I think CU gets like $22m a year from the Pac, I don't know what the Big 10 schools get.
24.6 million. 2017 it goes to almost 45 million.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #2361
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
24.6 million. 2017 it goes to almost 45 million.
That's mucho grande money, and each team in the Big 10 gets that? However, it's still less than what ND gets from NBC, right? As for ND not being able to play in a national championship because they aren't part of a major conference, I guess I'll believe that when I see it.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #2362
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,221

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
That's mucho grande money, and each team in the Big 10 gets that? However, it's still less than what ND gets from NBC, right? As for ND not being able to play in a national championship because they aren't part of a major conference, I guess I'll believe that when I see it.
I do know that the rumor that has been kicked around the Husker boards I see says the Bg10 TV deal could reach the billions. How long and how many teams end up being involved with that is the big mystery.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #2363
StugotsIII
O-H
 
StugotsIII's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,451

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
That's mucho grande money, and each team in the Big 10 gets that? However, it's still less than what ND gets from NBC, right? As for ND not being able to play in a national championship because they aren't part of a major conference, I guess I'll believe that when I see it.
That doesn't take into consideration what the B1G gets from ABC/ESPN either…


ND is going to be shut out if they don't join a conference….which they kinda already did….with the ACC. Though the ACC is purposefully being taken apart at the seems….why?


ND.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #2364
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 7,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
That's mucho grande money, and each team in the Big 10 gets that? However, it's still less than what ND gets from NBC, right? As for ND not being able to play in a national championship because they aren't part of a major conference, I guess I'll believe that when I see it.
first year of the B1G network gave 28 mil to each team in the conference and cause the Pac-12 to use the same business model. each conference member is guaranteed no less than 20 mil per member.
B1G network is partly owned by Fox/News Group. Fox incurs most of the costs and the B1G picks up rights fees & etc. similar to a regional sports network sold to a place like CBS,Fox,NBC or etc.
the expectation is that the B1G network will provide the B1G teams with upwards of 50-60 mil per in the near future + the money from other TV networks, bowl games & etc.

this is why the B1G wanted Rutgers and Maryland. it pushes the carriers in that region to put the network on those screens and drives up the carriage fee per for each new market it enters and changes tiers on.

this is why it's so critical that the Pac-12 isn't on Directv and others.
loses a lot of money.

the NBC deal for ND will eventually put them behind once the 4 team playoff comes online. since they're not in a BCS conference in football they will make half of what others make for BCS bowls and NCG appearances. eventually all conference schools in the B1G,SEC & maybe the Pac-12 will make more than the NBC deal.
Texas and their longhorn network essentially ensures the eventual death of the Big 12 due to it being only Texas content and most places refusing to carry it due to most of the promised content being deemed a unfair advantage to other conference members who don't have a network and the Big 12 promised the Longhorns they wouldn't make a Big 12 network to keep them.
so regardless of who wins the conference, Texas will always make the most money, even though ESPN sunk a lot of money into their network and it's not making nearly enough due to major cable providers not carrying it because it's only Texas sports and barely any HS sports like promised.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #2365
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
first year of the B1G network gave 28 mil to each team in the conference and cause the Pac-12 to use the same business model. each conference member is guaranteed no less than 20 mil per member.
B1G network is partly owned by Fox/News Group. Fox incurs most of the costs and the B1G picks up rights fees & etc. similar to a regional sports network sold to a place like CBS,Fox,NBC or etc.
the expectation is that the B1G network will provide the B1G teams with upwards of 50-60 mil per in the near future + the money from other TV networks, bowl games & etc.

this is why the B1G wanted Rutgers and Maryland. it pushes the carriers in that region to put the network on those screens and drives up the carriage fee per for each new market it enters and changes tiers on.

this is why it's so critical that the Pac-12 isn't on Directv and others.
loses a lot of money.

the NBC deal for ND will eventually put them behind once the 4 team playoff comes online. since they're not in a BCS conference in football they will make half of what others make for BCS bowls and NCG appearances. eventually all conference schools in the B1G,SEC & maybe the Pac-12 will make more than the NBC deal.
Texas and their longhorn network essentially ensures the eventual death of the Big 12 due to it being only Texas content and most places refusing to carry it due to most of the promised content being deemed a unfair advantage to other conference members who don't have a network and the Big 12 promised the Longhorns they wouldn't make a Big 12 network to keep them.
so regardless of who wins the conference, Texas will always make the most money, even though ESPN sunk a lot of money into their network and it's not making nearly enough due to major cable providers not carrying it because it's only Texas sports and barely any HS sports like promised.
The Big 12 is going on Death Sentence when other members couldn't handle OU and Texas dominating the conference, not just in wins/losses, but structure. Missouri wanted out first, and that left a domino effect that caused Nebraska and Colorado to leave first, followed by A&M and Missouri, being replaced by West Virginia and TCU.
Now TCU makes sense, but WV does not...at all.
I was fully expecting super conferences to be born with OU, OKState, Texas and say Texas Tech moving to the Pac12, other teams moving to the SEC, etc and the Big12 becoming extinct.
To me though, this is sort of bad because it creates too many teams in a conference to fully have a good solid OOC schedule along with interconference.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #2366
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
The Big 12 is going on Death Sentence when other members couldn't handle OU and Texas dominating the conference, not just in wins/losses, but structure. Missouri wanted out first, and that left a domino effect that caused Nebraska and Colorado to leave first, followed by A&M and Missouri, being replaced by West Virginia and TCU.
Now TCU makes sense, but WV does not...at all.
I was fully expecting super conferences to be born with OU, OKState, Texas and say Texas Tech moving to the Pac12, other teams moving to the SEC, etc and the Big12 becoming extinct.
To me though, this is sort of bad because it creates too many teams in a conference to fully have a good solid OOC schedule along with interconference.
You talk about West Virginia not making sense? Colorado should be the ABSOLUTE easternmost school, in the Pac 12, and even THAT is pushing the limits of a regional conference...

Last edited by Crushaholic; 02-24-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #2367
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Rumors going around some boards that Les Miles could get abruptly fired for Bobby Petrino issues.....not sure if this is real though.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #2368
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 18,743

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

nick collision just got packed soooo hard by Blake Griffin, oh my goodness! Best block of the year
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #2369
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 7,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Rumors going around some boards that Les Miles could get abruptly fired for Bobby Petrino issues.....not sure if this is real though.
the rumor is he's tapping some student tang. no reason for him to step down.
Petrino had his side piece on the payroll. big difference between student and employee you hired on.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #2370
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

One of our insiders is claiming we accepted an offer to join the Big12. FSU has also been offered but have not accepted at this time.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #2371
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
One of our insiders is claiming we accepted an offer to join the Big12. FSU has also been offered but have not accepted at this time.
That would be huge. Nobody thinks of the fanbase, who travels to away games. K-State has one fan who has made EVERY game (home and away) for decades. Multiple trips to Miami could test that streak...

Last edited by Crushaholic; 03-29-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #2372
StugotsIII
O-H
 
StugotsIII's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,451

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
One of our insiders is claiming we accepted an offer to join the Big12. FSU has also been offered but have not accepted at this time.
The ACC is all but done…

Once Maryland settles with the ACC to jump to the B10…most of the current teams in the ACC will jump ship, and be replaced by smaller, weaker schools. Once that happens, ND will jump into a conference full time.

At some point in the not so distant future, college football will abandon the NCAA...
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #2373
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,221

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...rs-spring-game

I'm so glad this made ESPN.

DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #2374
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,280

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default

Noles nab another 5 star linebacker -- this time for 2014.

Already have 6 guys on the ESPN watch list that have committed and 8 overall.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #2375
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

At 4:30 EST 2014 5 star RB Sony Michel will make a verbal commitment to Georgia over Miami and ND.

Michel is a longtime Canes fan who we have recruited since 8th grade. My understanding is that his family wants the brother who is a WR at UMass to also get a ship. Georgia is willing to do that....Miami is not...at least at this time.

Seems like its a poker game right now
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Denver Broncos