The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Default Cornerback Analysis from Pro Football Focus

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...d-cornerbacks/

Has Champ as #6 in the league.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I think CB is one of our strongest positions. Champ, Harris, Carter, and Bolden is a pretty solid group. I would like to see another safety in the first two rounds or FA come in to challenge Rahim "Stay Deep" Moore.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I posted this in another thread where the "1st down per snap" stat was initially posted:

That would only be accurate if every CB only played isolated man coverage (which is extremely rare as is) every snap.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
extralife
Ring of Famer

yeah, corners are like DTs--your schemes are based around what you want those guys to do, so there are no metrics that are going to provide complete and accurate portraits of their play. but that doesn't make these stats invalid, they are still useful as a tool so long as they are used properly.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I think CB is one of our strongest positions. Champ, Harris, Carter, and Bolden is a pretty solid group. I would like to see another safety in the first two rounds or FA come in to challenge Rahim "Stay Deep" Moore.
I think Rahim "The Daydream" Moore might be fitting...
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Champ played like crap in the playoffs. I really thought he would step up and be a star like Atwater did in 97.

He sort of looked like crap and really old.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Champ played like crap in the playoffs. I really thought he would step up and be a star like Atwater did in 97.

He sort of looked like crap and really old.
The playoffs were one game long. He looked bad in one game. Really one half of one game.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
The playoffs were one game long. He looked bad in one game. Really one half of one game.
Actually just a couple of plays.

Some folks just like to piss and moan.

Simply we were beat by a better team with A very dynamic head coach. Their front office has been making great decisions of players since they began.

John started two years ago. May take some time to catch up.

It usually happens that the better team wins. We are not there yet.

Last edited by lonestar; 02-01-2013 at 01:25 AM..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
extralife
Ring of Famer

he wasn't even really beaten on the second TD. he slightly overran the route (but he's too slow now! durdurdurdurdur) and then lost his balance.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

loves haters & trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post

Simply we were beat by a better team with A very dynamic head coach. Their front office has been making great decisions of players since they began.

Fox got out coached ... 31 seconds 2 timeouts, 40 yards needed for a FG try & your QB is PFM & you kneel the ball... WTF .. Fox was playing not to lose instead of playing to win... Fox was out Foxed
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post

OK, BS. Simple BS. BAL was the fifth or 6th most talented team in the AFC playoffs, they just made plays on a team that surrendered very few deep balls or long runs on the year.

BAL is not a more talented team, in fact there talent is waning not improving right now.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

As far as this stat goes, what the hell is it supposed to measure? For stats to mean anything they must first measure something. I am really supposed to measure a CB's performance in any way, shape, or form by this stat?

The stat lacks every single contextual clue that is necessary. Was it a first down PA pass that cleared the Linebackers and I was playing outside leverage and they ran a route where I should have help?

Did I give up a lot less FD's and TD's because I play predominantly the underneath flats in Cover 2 on passing situations, versus playing half field Coverage with little help in Man coverage or cover 3? Did I get a lot less balls thrown my way because I am way better than the CB's playing next to me. Did I get more thrown my way because teams forced balls to their #1 WR and they designed plays to get him the ball regardless?

All of those reasons WHY are neglected, when trying to measure CB performance with this kind of oversimplified stat. They assume the average fan is going to eat this stuff up, beacuse it does not require a lick of critical thinking, just an easy to consume stat that supposedly measures CB's against each other with any real analysis of performance, just outcome related hindsight.

These guys desperately want to be relevant. Desperately want you to buy their "Premium Advanced Stats." I just have no idea what they really think this measures, but the tendencies and success rates of other teams to attack certain players in a scheme. And,I think its wildly inefficient at its best.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
jerseyboiler120

Champ looked every bit his age. baltimore was not the better team; we had many opportunities to pull away in that game even with the officiating as horrible as it was. If champ hadn't been beaten so badly on that first long TD we may have easily blown them out - for the 2nd time this year.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Jason7730
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
OK, BS. Simple BS. BAL was the fifth or 6th most talented team in the AFC playoffs, they just made plays on a team that surrendered very few deep balls or long runs on the year.

BAL is not a more talented team, in fact there talent is waning not improving right now.
^ +1
Jason7730 is offline   Reply With Quote