The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



View Poll Results: Pick your Bronco: Brock Osweiler or Russell Wilson?
Brock Osweiler 53 67.09%
Russell Wilson 26 32.91%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #126
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 25,258

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
...Exactly what expectations weren't met between Flynn signing and the draft...?
that's a good question and only the hawks know the answer. All I know is that Flynn is perhaps the highest paid benchwarmer in the NFL...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #127
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
that's a good question and only the hawks know the answer. All I know is that Flynn is perhaps the highest paid benchwarmer in the NFL...
I think they obviously liked Wilson and saw a cant miss opportunity in the third round. But I have to assume they fully expected Flynn to be their starter this year. You dont pay a guy all that money to be a question mark. And its not like they drafted Wilson in the first.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #128
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 25,258

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I think they obviously liked Wilson and saw a cant miss opportunity in the third round. But I have to assume they fully expected Flynn to be their starter this year. You dont pay a guy all that money to be a question mark. And its not like they drafted Wilson in the first.
I agree but if all things are equal, that is, if Wilson and Flynn provide the same chance to win then don't you start Flynn? Wilson must have just dazzled the coaches in practice.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #129
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 12,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Love your avy but gonna have to disagree with your post. You simply have no idea why Seattle drafted Flynn, that is, you weren't in the meeting when they called his name, nor were you in the meetings when they scouted him, etc.

IMHO, Wilson did outpace the expectations for sure. But my point is why draft Wilson at all when you just traded for Flynn and signed him to a fat contract? Somethings wrong with this picture. IMHO Wilson was drafted more because Flynn is not living up to expectations and pretty much everyone thought Wilson was a complete QB and NFL viable except for how tall he is.
I'm not Seattle's GM, but I played one on the Orange Mane 11 month ago.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #130
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 12,068
Default

Seattle needed a QB more than Denver, but Denver signed Manning and spent a higher pick in the draft for Brock. Seattle wanted to land Manning, but he never considered them. They went with plan B. Flynn was the next big FA at the position. I felt like they signed him to be an immediate starter. I went into the mock draft looking for a QB of the future with expectations of Flynn starting at least a year.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #131
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
53 voted for Brock..
I know right? It's unreal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #132
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,999

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I know right? It's unreal.
I know right?! In a poll from August? :r ofl:
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:29 AM   #133
go_broncos
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 6,544

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
I know right?! In a poll from August? :r ofl:
it shows how much the posters in this site are blind homers...
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #134
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
...because one played and another didn't?
No, because one was a great college quarterback in a pro style system and the other wasn't. And because one is a great athlete and the other isn't. The only thing Osweiler had on Wilson coming out was height. That's it.

Now I'm not trying to pretend that I was sitting around wanting Wilson during the draft, but I sure as **** didn't want Mr. Beanpole over him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #135
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
No, because one was a great college quarterback in a pro style system and the other wasn't. And because one is a great athlete and the other isn't. The only thing Osweiler had on Wilson coming out was height. That's it.

Now I'm not trying to pretend that I was sitting around wanting Wilson during the draft, but I sure as **** didn't want Mr. Beanpole over him.
You're honestly saying Brock isn't athletic? Brock originally signed a basketball scholarship to play for Gonzaga. You're calling that unathletic
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #136
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 9,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
You're honestly saying Brock isn't athletic? Brock originally signed a basketball scholarship to play for Gonzaga. You're calling that unathletic
242lbs is a bean pole
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #137
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 9,493
Default

http://www.drafttek.com/PositionalQB.asp
http://walterfootball.com/draft2012QB.php
http://www.nfl.com/photos/09000d5d82...000d5d8264321d
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...Prospects.html
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/prospects/qb.html

Good luck finding Russell Wilson ranked ahead of Osweiler anywhere leading up to this season. Wilson may have shown that he is better than that ranking at this point (or he may still Doug Flutie for a couple years before Doug Flutieing). As for Brock, there can be no assessment yet.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #138
underrated29
Ahoy
 
You lika da sexy

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,290

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Brock also has a stronger arm.....iirc, Wilson was said to possibly be a first round pick if he was 3 inches taller. It was also said that if Brock would have stayed in college and just kept par with the season he had his last year of college he would have been a top 10 pick this year, perhaps the #1 overall.


The answer is we do not know the answer yet. How you guys think you do is insane. Think of it like this-

You are playing fantasy football and each team has one player left. You guy plays Monday night and his Sunday night. Hs guy played sun night and put up 30 points......are you now going to start b****ing and whining that you should have started a different player,without having even seen how your guys does mon night? You have no clue! Perhaps you have Rodgers on Monday night. Perhaps you have Brandon wheeden. You don't know. You have no way of knowing until you guys plays. Anything before then is just being ridiculous.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #139
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 31,385
Default

Brock Osweiler can hit Mt. Rushmore from Denver. That is how strong his arm is.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #140
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 27,304
Default

Neither one is as athletic as our Deer like Manning

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #141
jonny1
Ahhh, football!
 
Broncos' cheerleaders rule!

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,560

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I agree but if all things are equal, that is, if Wilson and Flynn provide the same chance to win then don't you start Flynn? Wilson must have just dazzled the coaches in practice.
That is exactly what happened, Wilson WON the job and Carroll was smart enough to know it.
jonny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #142
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I hate when people are so lazy they can't even do a cursory google search to check their bull****.
Dude runs a 4.8-4.9 40 and is 6'8" at that weight. Neither of my comments was bull****. He's not very athletic (more athletic than Manning, but that doesn't say much) and he is a bit of a beanpole. He does have a stronger arm than Wilson, I forgot to mention that. Still he was merely a good college QB playing in a spread offense while Russel Wilson was absolutely tearing it up in a pro style offense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #143
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 32,305

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

From what I could tell, there was only one head coach in attendance: Seattle's Pete Carroll. Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell was there, as was John Schneider, the GM.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/card...#ixzz2Jfq8PP4u
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #144
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
So we've isolated the 40 yard dash as THE judge of athleticism?

Good to know.
Do you have any evidence to the contrary? Did he tear up cone drills at some point or something?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #145
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Do you have any evidence to the contrary? Did he tear up cone drills at some point or something?
The dude was signed to play division 1 basketball for a top competitor school as a power forward, arguably one of the few positions in all of sports that demands athleticism. I'm not saying he is more athletic than Wilson but to just flat out call him unathletic is laughable. The NFL has never seen a quarterback with his height combined with athleticism
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #146
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

And also, if Brock would have stayed in college this year he would be the first quarterback selected.... Without a doubt
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #147
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 9,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Dude runs a 4.8-4.9 40 and is 6'8" at that weight. Neither of my comments was bull****. He's not very athletic (more athletic than Manning, but that doesn't say much) and he is a bit of a beanpole. He does have a stronger arm than Wilson, I forgot to mention that. Still he was merely a good college QB playing in a spread offense while Russel Wilson was absolutely tearing it up in a pro style offense.
Going with the beanpole thing still huh? Despite him being a similar height to weight ratio to guys like Lebron James?

Are we going to ignore that Brock also ran the read option in college?

Wilson had great numbers as a senior it's true, in an offense that is entirely based on the running game. Perhaps we should compare the two based on their junior seasons. Wouldn't help your argument much (feel free to look up his time spent at North Carolina State).

Yes, what you are saying is bull****. Preferring Wilson isn't, that's fine. You need to have some sort of evidence to back up claims like a lack of athleticism. Brock's mobility was considered one of his strengths coming out. It's baseless to make comments that ignore that.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #148
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 32,305

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

"He plays like he's a 6-3, 6-4 guy. He's a very athletic guy." Noel Mazzone, former Arizona St. offensive coordinator. "He rushed for nearly 700 yards for us as a senior. The thing that really stands out is when you watch him move, you don't think he's that big, don't realize he's that tall. He will never be mistaken for Michael Vick, but he moves well enough to make some plays with his feet."

I know Noel doesn't have the QB knowledge that Ag does though.

Pro day results.

4.83 in the 40-yard dash
1.66 10-yard dash
2.79 20-yard dash
4.32 20-yard shuttle
7.11 three-cone drill
33-inch vertical jump
98 broad jump
Bench pressed 225 pounds 24 times
33 7/8-inch arm length
9 7/8-inch hands
79 3/8-inch wingspan.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #149
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 31,385
Default

Agermenonon is one of the boards most worthless posters. Please never quote him again.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #150
razorwire77
Champions of the World!!!
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
Greatest win/loss of all-time

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,825

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default



At the Mane calling a 6'8" 240 guy that runs a 4.8 40 and was offered a basketball ride to Gonzaga for hoops "unathletic."
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Denver Broncos