The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #76
Drunken.Broncoholic

Exactly. You don't have to pass if no one is open! The worst part is not even knowing cause they didnt even try. It's giving up plain and simple. Get 7 yards on your own and you win the game yourself. No chance of the other team winning. Give the ball up to take off 40 seconds and it still gives the other team a chance. Never give a playoff team a chance. It was a judgement call and it turned out to be the wrong one. I don't have confidence in fox anymore. I tolerated the conservative approach the entire time he's been here. But it just cost them an opportunity to put away the game. Even if it was incomplete or even a long int(the punt was HORRIBLE) at least they would've tried. Bowing down was lame. This isn't forgiveable IMO.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #77
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
I don't have a problem with it. Used an extra 40 seconds. Dont backpetal on a deep ball moore.
Terrible odds with that strategy when the Ravens had connected on four big pass plays already and a couple for scores.

MUCH better odds to give a HOF QB with the game on the line the instructions to go get two first downs WHAT EVER IT TAKES and let him do the rest. That is why he is getting 90million contract compared to a lot less for Foxy or McCoy.

Was a terrible costly BS call by Fox.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #78
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
I think it was a reasonable call. It allowed us to run the clock down to the point where it would take a colossal, unheard of blunder to lose the game. And we came up with a colossal, unheard of blunder. The call was perfectly defensible.

Not trying to win the game in regulation, running on 3rd and 5. Those are indefensible.
Agree completely. 99/100 times, we walk away winners. I'm not trying to be a John Fox apologist, because your second point about taking the knee, running on 3rd and 5, etc, those deserve scrutiny. But yeah, I think running 40 seconds off the clock was reasonable.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #79
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

It was the game's key play IMO.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #80
Punisher
Styling And Profiling!

Running Wild in the AFC WOOOOOO!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

It's a play "not to lose" thing. When you need to play to win.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #81
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Manning admitted to calling an audible on 3rd and 7 in the postgame presser.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #82
Armchair Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Doesn't matter, and still not sure if I believe Manning. That play happened *AFTER* the 2 minute warning.

Any coach worthy of moving on in the playoffs would have told his $90 million man to throw the damn ball.

What Fox should have said: "Look, Peyton. I know you like to call audibles, but it's 3rd and 7 and we need a first down to ice the game. I don't want you calling an audible for a run up the gut this time. It hasn't worked the last two plays, so it probably won't get us more than a couple of yards [NOTE: it actually netted ZERO yards]. We need a high-percentage pass, ideally to one of the Tight Ends. If no one is open, fine...But just make sure SOMEONE gets open! Our season depends on it!"

If Manning really did call an audible, then shame on him. Shame on Fox for not setting the stage during the 2-minute warning timeout. And shame on Manning for being a p***Y and letting the season come down to a no-gainer on a handoff to a rookie RB.

Michael Jordan would have taken the shot, and Phil Jackson would have told Jordan to take the shot. And even if Jackson told Jordan to pass to Pippen or Rodman, guess what? Jordan would have taken the shot anyway...and won the damn game!

Last edited by Armchair Bronco; 01-14-2013 at 12:09 AM..
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #83
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Doesn't matter, and still not sure if I believe Manning. That play happened *AFTER* the 2 minute warning.

Any coach worthy of moving on in the playoffs would have told his $90 million man to throw the damn ball.

What Fox should have said: "Look, Peyton. I know you like to call audibles, but it's 3rd and 7 and we need a first down to ice the game. I don't want you calling an audible for a run up the gut this time. It hasn't worked the last two plays, so it probably won't get us more than a couple of yards [NOTE: it actually netted ZERO yards]. We need a high-percentage pass, ideally to one of the Tight Ends. If no one is open, fine...But just make sure SOMEONE gets open! Our season depends on it!"

If Manning really did call an audible, then shame on him. Shame on Fox for not setting the stage during the 2-minute warning timeout. And shame on Manning for being a p***Y and letting the season come down to a no-gainer on a handoff to a rookie RB.

Michael Jordan would have taken the shot, and Phil Jackson would have told Jordan to take the shot. And even if Jackson told Jordan to pass to Pippen or Rodman, guess what? Jordan would have taken the shot anyway...and won the damn game!
Please don't compare Jordon to Manning and Jackson with Fox p***Y.
There is a reason why manning only one SB(that too due to defense) and fox never won.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #84
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
I don't even give a **** about that one play. That was just the cherry on top. IAOFM referenced the fact that we had 10 plays of 2 yards or less to gain. We ran the ball every time. 10 out of 10 times. 2nd down. 3rd down. Didn't matter. This has the stench of McCoy predictable-taint all over it. He's completely unaware of the fact that 75% of why plays work in the NFL is because the defense isn't sure what's coming. Except with McDumbass II they are.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #85
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Eh, what if the ball is incomplete? Now the Ravens are getting the ball back with 40 additional seconds to work with. That's an easy call to bash, but the D was in a good position with 1:15 left and the Ravens needing a TD. If Moore doesn't go full retard and take the worst angle in NFL history, were probably all in better moods today. Oh, and I'm not going to let the refs off the hook, either. Yes, we should have won anyway, but if the refs do there job with even mediocre competence then the Ravens aren't in position to win at the end at all. The pass interference no-call on the pick six was especially costly, egregious, and unforgivable. That was not a bang-bang deal that was easy to miss....it was clear, blatant, and they missed it. That cost us the game more than running on that 3rd down, something I suspect most coaches would have done. Of course, that was just one of several freebies the refs handed them.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 01-14-2013 at 06:52 AM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #86
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I don't even give a **** about that one play. That was just the cherry on top. IAOFM referenced the fact that we had 10 plays of 2 yards or less to gain. We ran the ball every time. 10 out of 10 times. 2nd down. 3rd down. Didn't matter. This has the stench of McCoy predictable-taint all over it. He's completely unaware of the fact that 75% of why plays work in the NFL is because the defense isn't sure what's coming. Except with McDumbass II they are.
I said this before. The Broncos cannot convert on 3rd and short with any predictablity (based on talent) so you have to run on 2nd and short to make sure you keep the drive alive. Keeping the drive alive has to be more important than taking a shot for a chunk play

This is one area Denver needs to improve dramactically next year because you are correct 2nd and short should be a throw away down and take a shot

with that said needing just FG to win and about 20 yards to get to FG range

The first series in OT. 2nd and 2 from Denver's 38 and they run it up the middle for 1 yard and Hester on 3rd down for zero yards and then the punt

WTF was that. Manning can audible correct? Not sure who's fault but it was a crappy play call

Last edited by CEH; 01-14-2013 at 07:14 AM..
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #87
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Fox just said Manning got this play confused with the 3rd & 5 audible to Hester earlier.
Fox said on the 3rd & 7 it was his call all the way - no audible.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #88
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Fox just said Manning got this play confused with the 3rd & 5 audible to Hester earlier.
Audible to Hester. If I ever hear those words again associated with this team I will barf. Why does that play even exist? It might as well be in the package with QB kneel?
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #89
Armchair Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Nice! Now these clowns are covering for each other. Before long, Elway will chime in and say that he, in his capacity as Executive Vice President, gave a secret, previously agreed upon hand-signal to Fox that meant "Run Hillman up the middle on 3rd and 7...OR ELSE!"

:facepalm:

(Taco John, this site really, REALLY need a facepalm smiley for times like this. Help us out, man! )
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #90
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Nice! Now these clowns are covering for each other. Before long, Elway will chime in and say that he, in his capacity as Executive Vice President, gave a secret, previously agreed upon hand-signal to Fox that meant "Run Hillman up the middle on 3rd and 7...OR ELSE!"

:facepalm:

(Taco John, this site really, REALLY need a facepalm smiley for times like this. Help us out, man! )
Re watch the play. They came out in a run formation and hiked it quickly. Don't think there is a conspiracy here.

here is the link for the Fox interview:
http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/t...spx?ID=1862345
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote