The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default Perspective for 2012

Let's try and get some and look at this off-season and go point by point over what is going to happen and how our favorite football team is going to look in 2012.

If you don't want to read anything pertaining to this subject, please at least read the following statement:

Last year was an evaluation year to see what players on the current roster fit what EFX wanted to do offensively, defensively and according to their general football philosophy. We saw this manifest itself MULTIPLE times from rotating players in different positions on the depth chart to trading away and outright cutting veterans at certain positions so we could evaluate the younger players behind them. Despite being in an "evaluation year", this team went from the worst team in the NFL the year prior (when you factor SoS) to AFCW Champions and its first playoff win in 6 years.

Now let's look at what's going to happen in this coming off-season

Roster additions:

We will definitely be adding players at CB, MLB, IOL, RB, WR

We will probably be adding players at DT, DE, S, TE

I expect the majority of these roster moves to be strictly depth and competition moves, but I do expect 2-3 "blue chip" players to hit the roster this off-season which should make a dramatic effect on the players around them.

On top of adding some key vets and more vet leadership, we can expect to see some pretty substantial improvements from a young roster coming off a lockout season:

All of last years rookies will now have a full off-season of OTAs. Time in the system for the game to slow down for them and to make dramatic mental leaps, as well as more repetition being coached into them.

Areas I expect to see massive upgrades in current personnel:

WR - Demaryius will be healthy. Decker should be healthy. These two can both finally not only get a full off-season worth of work and coaching, but have time to establish good chemistry with Tim. Our WRs lead the NFL in drops per attempt, and I expect to see that dramatically improve this year for the aforementioned reasons. (Side note: It's my hope we also add a proven vet receiver with a known work ethic that can teach these two how to properly prepare at this level)

OL - Franklin played very well when you look at the wealth of his season and also showed some pretty dramatic improvement from game one to the end of the season. That being said, this unit has LOADS of room to improve. As is, we have Ryan Harris back and ready to compete. I'm hopeful we add a premier G to really solidify the unit moving forward, but as is the experience in this system should go a long ways with a corps of pretty talented young guys.

QB - Only 16 starts under his belt and 1.5 off-seasons and neither one involved taking reps of any significance with the 1s. He's had no stability as of yet in the offensive game plan as it's been an evolving system (not blaming anyone, it is what it is). Has one of, if not the best work ethic in the entire NFL. Has the closest physical parallel, a HoF'er, and the perfect potential mentor to him pledged to work with him during the off-season.

The entire offense:

McCoy will now have a full off-season to scheme to our teams strengths, incorporate a truly multi-dimensional offense, more trust to his QB, and better, healthy, more experienced players to execute it.

Defensively:

I expect to see leaps and bounds of improvement in

Von Miller - who will not only mentally be light years ahead of where he was last year, but now has a DC who as a former LBer has a history of getting the very best out of his LB'ers (apply this to DJ Williams as well)

Carter - excelled at a cerebral position his rookie year past expectations. The first step kills at the S position, to be able to excel a couple steps behind while diagnosing the play is going to provide a dramatic contrast to build off of a successful rookie season (apply the same to Rahim Moore. I expect him to be able to provide an impact next season)

And especially our front seven as a whole as we've now made a dramatic improvement at the DC position.

Also, it should be noted that we have a bonus asset uplifting the team as a whole: Tim's work ethic. Having the leader of your team spend so much time doing everything he can to improve his game absolutely has an effect on the players around him. Odds of something half-assing practice, OTAs, the weight room, film study, etc become dramatically reduced. Infectious work ethic and a desire to succeed is something we need and should also play a dramatic role on the team moving forward and potential FAs (I'd love to nab under-achieving Aaron Ross because of this and our HC's background as a former secondary coach. Could finally get him to play up to his talent level)
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

No duh!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Also notable:

Home playoff win
Shanahan off the books
Orton's contract gone (and an extra 2.5 mill saved from the cut)
Dat Tebow money

I expect to have a considerably more flexible budget and see a team that's able to be more aggressive in FA than it has in a decade.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Also notable:

Home playoff win
Shanahan off the books
Dat Tebow money

I expect to have a considerably more flexible budget and see a team that's able to be more aggressive in FA than it has in a decade.
This is what I am most interested to see. Sick and tired of our organization going through other teams trash heaps to build units
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
schaaf

Nice writeup. Rep when I get on my laptop,

For Free Agency I would love to get Dan Connor (or any LB that can come in and and start) and some more bargain FA to help build depth. I'm hoping we can get 1 blue chip player and 2-3 others that can fight for starting positions. Hopefully Dawk stays one more year but even if he does it will probably be an injury riddled season due to his age.

Defense- IMO, MLB and CB are our biggest needs followed by Safety and DT. Champ has a couple more years in him and we have good depth but we don't have anyone else that won't get completely picked apart. Carter looks like a keeper at Safety and it's looking like we will need someone beside him whether it be Bruton improving, Dawkins coming back or bringing someone in. Like I said MLB could be our biggest need for the whole team. Mays got worse as the season went on and he proved he was nothing more than a backup. Irving could move up after a full offseason but we will definitely bring someone to compete with him. I like having DJ and Von starting and hopefully we can keep Woody and Haggan around. As for the D-line I think we have long term starters at DE with Ayers and Doom and for DT, Bunkley could become our long term, we need someone to provide some pressure from the DT position.

Offense- Our Offensive Line was at times inconsistent but I see this unit staying pretty much the same, I have a feeling they are going to let Franklin and Beadles battle it out and hopefully Ryan Harris can return to pre injury form and start. I could see our starting line for Week 1 looking like Clady-Franklin-Walton-Kuper-Harris with Beadles providing quality depth at many positions. We will be bringing in two QB's. My guess is drafting one and a FA. But I think Tim will be starting week 1. At RB we need one more body, Moreno could be a perfect compliment to Mcgahee IF he can stay healthy, I would like a speedy RB but Fox likes bigger backs. We need more production out of our TE position, hopefully Julius Thomas can improve and become a receiving threat, Daniel Fells is good at receiving and blocking but not great at either. I also have no reason to believe Virgil Green won't continue to improve. WR could be our weakest position on offense, DEmaryius has shown that he could be a legit #1 receiver. Decker did nothing after about the sixth week that made me think he'll ever be better than a long term #3 receiver (I did like his blocking though). I expect Eddie to be gone to DC. I would love to get a receiver that can provide speed out of the backfield and underneath like a Percy Harvin. But I can keep dreaming.

Special Teams- Prater and Colquitt should be around for at least 10 years and our all world Lomg Snapper is all world.

I think EFX have done a very good job of building a solid base to build upon, we are average in a lot of positions but we are young in a lot of areas too, it will only get better from here.

Sorry for the short choppy sentences/thoughts. I hate posting in my phone
Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Also notable:

Home playoff win
Shanahan off the books
Dat Tebow money

Tebow should of bailed Pat out of money problems and now he can try to make his franchise one of the more respected again. Drafting Tebow was genious from a business move.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I expect to get a really good read on our 2nd and 3rd year players. The players who were drafted with Tebow and the players who were drafted last year both suffered a lot from the scheme and coaching changes and the shortened offseason - I think we will get a better read on who remains from those 2 drafts this offseason.

Before the season I really liked Decker as a player to break out like Marshall did in his 2nd season, but he had a lot of concentration drops and I thought he had a lot of problems getting and maintaining separation against man coverage. Thomas if he can stay healthy should be a huge boost, he hasn't had an offseason yet to get into the offense because of his injury his rookie year and the lockout plus injury last season.

I think we will see someone brought in at the G position, it may not be a star name but certainly someone who at least in the short term can challenge for a starting position.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in a potential starter at CB and FS in free agency, both positions need to be upgraded and while I know EFX wants to build via the draft, I think they have shown already that when the bring in players they like veterans who are generally a bit cheaper and can provide impact from day 1 but maybe only for a year or two.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Most thought the Broncos would not reach 6 wins this season before it started, so the Broncos winning 8 and the division, not to mention winning a playoff game, was way beyond what was expected.

I am hopeful this franchise has done enough of signing crap and wrapping it in nice looking paper and pretending answers are being solved. Last year was better in that regard that is for sure.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
Nice writeup. Rep when I get on my laptop,

For Free Agency I would love to get Dan Connor (or any LB that can come in and and start) and some more bargain FA to help build depth. I'm hoping we can get 1 blue chip player and 2-3 others that can fight for starting positions. Hopefully Dawk stays one more year but even if he does it will probably be an injury riddled season due to his age.

Defense- IMO, MLB and CB are our biggest needs followed by Safety and DT. Champ has a couple more years in him and we have good depth but we don't have anyone else that won't get completely picked apart. Carter looks like a keeper at Safety and it's looking like we will need someone beside him whether it be Bruton improving, Dawkins coming back or bringing someone in. Like I said MLB could be our biggest need for the whole team. Mays got worse as the season went on and he proved he was nothing more than a backup. Irving could move up after a full offseason but we will definitely bring someone to compete with him. I like having DJ and Von starting and hopefully we can keep Woody and Haggan around. As for the D-line I think we have long term starters at DE with Ayers and Doom and for DT, Bunkley could become our long term, we need someone to provide some pressure from the DT position.

Offense- Our Offensive Line was at times inconsistent but I see this unit staying pretty much the same, I have a feeling they are going to let Franklin and Beadles battle it out and hopefully Ryan Harris can return to pre injury form and start. I could see our starting line for Week 1 looking like Clady-Franklin-Walton-Kuper-Harris with Beadles providing quality depth at many positions. We will be bringing in two QB's. My guess is drafting one and a FA. But I think Tim will be starting week 1. At RB we need one more body, Moreno could be a perfect compliment to Mcgahee IF he can stay healthy, I would like a speedy RB but Fox likes bigger backs. We need more production out of our TE position, hopefully Julius Thomas can improve and become a receiving threat, Daniel Fells is good at receiving and blocking but not great at either. I also have no reason to believe Virgil Green won't continue to improve. WR could be our weakest position on offense, DEmaryius has shown that he could be a legit #1 receiver. Decker did nothing after about the sixth week that made me think he'll ever be better than a long term #3 receiver (I did like his blocking though). I expect Eddie to be gone to DC. I would love to get a receiver that can provide speed out of the backfield and underneath like a Percy Harvin. But I can keep dreaming.

Special Teams- Prater and Colquitt should be around for at least 10 years and our all world Lomg Snapper is all world.

I think EFX have done a very good job of building a solid base to build upon, we are average in a lot of positions but we are young in a lot of areas too, it will only get better from here.

Sorry for the short choppy sentences/thoughts. I hate posting in my phone
I would almost prefer to see them move DJ inside and get a Will, DJ played well when Allen had him in the middle and he can cover. It would be a bonus if Irving can win the MLB job but I am not counting on it.

The one thing I saw in the top 4 Playoff teams was a mean MFer at MLB who could intimidate.

Move DJ inside, get a Will who is physical and get a CB DT and Safety and the D will sort it self out.

On O I would upgrade LG, C via Draft and find a Vet WR who can catch better than Decker and can show the others how to be a Vet.

Skill wise on O I would like to see them get a TE who can be a threat down the seam, they seemed to like Fells early in the year then he disappeared until the playoffs. We need an RBOTF too, Knowgain is worthless other than for dump offs and McGahee is too old for the # of carries they give him. Again if JJ develops then bonus but he didn't do much to show he could beat out Ball.

It should be a fun draft this year.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Nice read.

Our biggest priorities from where I stand are: DT, S, OG/C, LB, CB.

So, so, so, so, sooooo tired of having a patchwork interior D-line. Please, let's get dominate force we can plug in there. Warren is on the wrong side of 30 and hadsn't played, who knows what dude has left?

Safety is a big concern. Dawkins is done or nearly there. Morris looked bad most of the year. Carter was OK in spot duty, but we need to bring in two people capable of starting. At some point Champ moves over to this spot.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

lol at everyone just writing off Rahim Moore.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Kind of like the team did until they literally had no other choice?
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
I had really high hopes for both Carter and Moore...but Moore was really awful this year, even taking it from the "he's only a rookie" perspective.

Carter has showed some pretty good signs that he can grow into at the very least, a serviceable starter. It would have been devestating to watch both of these guys flop. Fingers still crossed for Moore, but I don't see it happening for him. Hope he proves me wrong.

I wouldn't mind seeing Champ move over at some point, but he still has 2-3 years left as a shutdown corner. I wouldnt want to waste him back there when CB is still a huge need for the squad.

We need a MLB too....Jarret Johnson and D'Qwell Jackson are intersting but I'm not in love with either of them when it comes to pass coverage which is where we need the help...Mays obviously was just not good enough in that aspect

Franklin was a nice surprise and, although I think we need some depth at OL, I don't think we are in bad shape up front. We've got a good group of young, solid players that should only get better.

On offense, I would like to take a look at Laurent Robinson and Robert Meachem...we have a pretty good set of big WRs in Decker and Bey Bey...wouldnt mind another slot guy in there, especially if Royal isn't coming back (although I think he is). Depending on how the TEs are projected as developing as pass catchers, I think we could take a look at Fred Davis if he comes at the right price. Also, bring in a vet QB because what we will have left on the roster just wouldn't be right to start the season with.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

My dream off-season would be:

Carl Nicks (hands down my top priority)
Reggie Wayne (could do WONDERS with Demaryius the way Marvin did with him)
Mario Williams (DL becomes our top unit instantly... talk about a turn over events)
Dan Connor (though not as talented, he's still the heady, tough, smart linebacker that we've lacked since Wilson)
Aaron Ross (our coaching and Tebow's work ethic combined with a fresh start could turn him into what he should be)

And then Devon Still, Stephon Gilmore, Brandon Boykin, and Dan Herron via the draft.

At that point we go from a subpar talented but over-achieving team to perhaps the most talented team in the league.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Mario Williams (DL becomes our top unit instantly... talk about a turn over events)
Dan Connor (though not as talented, he's still the heady, tough, smart linebacker that we've lacked since Wilson)
Aaron Ross (our coaching and Tebow's work ethic combined with a fresh start could turn him into what he should be)

And then Devon Still, Stephon Gilmore, Brandon Boykin, and Dan Herron via the draft.

At that point we go from a subpar talented but over-achieving team to perhaps the most talented team in the league.
Is there really a chance of getting Williams and Nicks? Is there talk that they won't be back on their current teams or is this just you hoping they aren't resigned? I would love to get those two. I hate looking at FAs this soon though. The large majority of good ones, aren't leaving their current teams.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #16
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:

This I am not too sure about, from the end of the season press conference, I recall hearing John Fox talk about how the Broncos have a 'Internal' salary cap they intend to work with.

This sounds like just because there is a NFL Salary cap of X doesn't mean they will spend X, more like they intend to be under and save money.

There has been talk for years that Bowlen is Cash strapped, doesn't have the cash in hand.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #17
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Is there really a chance of getting Williams and Nicks? Is there talk that they won't be back on their current teams or is this just you hoping they aren't resigned? I would love to get those two. I hate looking at FAs this soon though. The large majority of good ones, aren't leaving their current teams.
Yes. I absolutely didn't and wouldn't mention any guys I don't think will hit the FA market (hence no Brandon Carr, Brent Grimes, etc).

Carl Nicks will hit the market because:

1. The Saints other FAs: Drew Brees, Colston, Tracy Porter, Robert Meachem (*and that's just to name a few high profile ones).

2. Jahri Evans, their other guard, is one of if the not the highest paid guard in the NFL as is.

Mario Williams (probably the least likely of the options. Either he or Foster will be tagged) will hit the market because:

1. Texans other high-profile FAs: Arian Foster, Chris Myers

2. Wade's defense didn't skip a beat in his absence, and Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed both proved to be outstanding supplementary pass-rushers
Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #18
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBen View Post
This I am not too sure about, from the end of the season press conference, I recall hearing John Fox talk about how the Broncos have a 'Internal' salary cap they intend to work with.

This sounds like just because there is a NFL Salary cap of X doesn't mean they will spend X, more like they intend to be under and save money.

There has been talk for years that Bowlen is Cash strapped, doesn't have the cash in hand.
I know and addressed the specific reasons our own internal budget will be higher in that very same post. Reference this again:

Quote:
Also notable:

Home playoff win
Shanahan off the books
Dat Tebow money

Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:

I don't think we would have a shot at Williams or Wayne....Connor is interesting but is going to be overpaid, hopefully somewhere else. I like everything else listed and I think its a bit more realistic. Especially Nicks
Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #20
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nicks will hit the market I'd guess.

Saints gave their other Guard, Jahri Evans, the biggest deal a guard has ever gotten a couple of years back. I doubt they can afford what Nicks is worth on top of that, especially with Brees likely to get a massive deal very soon too.

I don't think Mario Williams is going anywhere though. He looked like he was going to be an absolute animal playing OLB in Wade Phillips' defense before his injury. The Texans should have a real shot next year once they get Schaub back, I expect they'll do everything to make sure Williams is part of that run.

Rev, you high on any of the FA DT's this year?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Rev, you high on any of the FA DT's this year?
Yes. I'm pretty high on Broderick Bunkley and Marcus Thomas.

Otherwise, no. The FA DT market really only consists of depth guys. Why pay to bring in someone new there when we have those guys already in town?

Exception: If Calais Campbell hits the market... which I SINCERELY doubt he will.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #22
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
This is what I am most interested to see. Sick and tired of our organization going through other teams trash heaps to build units
That's what your boy McDaniels philosophy in building teams was, was it not?
Remember Drek saying those awful moves were for adding depth?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #23
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
yea, because Shanahan NEVER did this

its OK...you weren't around up until 3 years ago, so I can understand how you might not know much about how this organization has operated
Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #24
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
yea, because Shanahan NEVER did this

its OK...you weren't around up until 3 years ago, so I can understand how you might not know much about how this organization has operated
Will both of you shut up?

This is a good thread and derailing it with years old conversations that aren't even relevant anymore is both stupid and pointless.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:

Lest we forget........

Quote:
Rahim Moore

Good morning bronco fam I appreciate you guys welcoming me with open arms this have been the best rookie experience. We had are ups n downs but you guys stuck by us trough it all you guys are the best. It looks like I'm going to be here for a while I had my ups n downs here went from starting to getting sick missing games n being replace getting my job back lol but this off season I'm coming back n I swear I'm coming back bigger, faster n smarter my 3rd day of training camp Brian Dawkins told me that I'm a special safety n I will be great one day...

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote