The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #26
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

what about the former coaches from St. Louis and Miami?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #27
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Hopefully they are taking a hard look at Spags or Nolan.
I'm going to kill you.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #28
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'm going to kill you.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #29
Powderaddict

dammit deleted the reply, tried to read on my phone and completely misunderstood.

I like it. I do think that there's a lot of potential for big gains by opposing offenses, obviously upgrades in secondary performance will be critical.

The way the passing game is so protected anymore I think you need to be more aggressive on the pass rush though, the best way to stop a QB is to not let the ball get out of his hands and to make him uncomfortable-I think this would really play well to the strengths we have on defense. It could very easily be exploited by the weaknesses we have if we don't get to the QB though.

High risk/High reward. You HAVE to get to the QB for this to work, often.

Last edited by Powderaddict; 01-27-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #30
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
Hey Raj, you heard anything about the possibility of Del Rio
He was having drinks with Fox in Mobile the day after Allen took the Oakland gig. I'd say he's the likely favorite at this point - especially with Dean Peas taking the Ravens job and Smith looking like he's going to Oakland to be their DC.

My guess is the job is his if he wants it, which isn't a sure thing because he's going to be paid the same amount to sit at home this year if he wants and his kid is a top HS QB recruit. With that, he was in Mobile which is where coaches hunt for jobs so unless he was there to catch up with friends, he'd likely be interested.

The concern I'm sure is the long-term consistency as he already interviewed for KC's HCing job so he wants to move back into that role and you'd have to imagine he and McCoy will be getting interviewed again next year. With that, I've noticed most good HCs dont avoid hiring guys that might leave but rather encourage their development as it tends to make them better coaches. Also, if a HC gets a rep for being a guy who develops other HCs then some of the best assistants will want to be a part of that. So I wouldn't think the Broncos would avoid Del Rio out of fear he leaves to become a HC again. If he doesn't become the DC, it would be for other reasons (on either side) IMO.

There will be other candidates though, Mike Klis pointed out yesterday that Fox had no relationship with Allen prior to hiring him (and if you remember, Jim Mora Jr. was the original 1st choice - a former HC himself) but rather found out about him through a network of friends - in this instance, he called his buddy Sean Payton from their Giants days who gave him a good recommendation. So there is a larger pool since Fox has been around so long and has a lot of friends around the league. You add in Elway's contacts and realistically there's a crap load of guys they could look it, but my first guess would be Del Rio makes a lot of sense.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #31
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure an Option for this team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
There will be other candidates though, Mike Klis pointed out yesterday that Fox had no relationship with Allen prior to hiring him (and if you remember, Jim Mora Jr. was the original 1st choice - a former HC himself) but rather found out about him through a network of friends - in this instance, he called his buddy Sean Payton from their Giants days who gave him a good recommendation. So there is a larger pool since Fox has been around so long and has a lot of friends around the league. You add in Elway's contacts and realistically there's a crap load of guys they could look it, but my first guess would be Del Rio makes a lot of sense.
This is so much more encouraging than when we had that young punk for HC who had no NFL contacts and relied on his agent to recommend his 1st DC and he pulled his second from either HS or College ranks.

This is what hiring an experienced HC gives you, loads of options to go with the experience.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #32
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh announced Friday, Jan. 27, that linebackers coach Dean Pees has been promoted to defensive coordinator.

2012-01-27 08:20:53 | Source: ESPN.com - Jamison Hensley

another one bites the dust.
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #33
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

With the success of Gronkouski, Hernandez and Davis, the big push in the draft this year will be big TE's and teams trying to figure out how to cover them. We can't cover these guys in a zone defense and we need to get ahead of the curve and find bigger defensive backs that can cover or we will continue to get ripped apart.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #34
Butterscotch Stallion

just found Mccoy's playbook! so excited. I know this is off topic, but since this is a football discussion type thread I thought it would fit:

Name:  mccoy.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  89.4 KB
Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #35
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
I'm going to kill you.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #36
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
He was having drinks with Fox in Mobile the day after Allen took the Oakland gig. I'd say he's the likely favorite at this point - especially with Dean Peas taking the Ravens job and Smith looking like he's going to Oakland to be their DC.

My guess is the job is his if he wants it, which isn't a sure thing because he's going to be paid the same amount to sit at home this year if he wants and his kid is a top HS QB recruit. With that, he was in Mobile which is where coaches hunt for jobs so unless he was there to catch up with friends, he'd likely be interested.

The concern I'm sure is the long-term consistency as he already interviewed for KC's HCing job so he wants to move back into that role and you'd have to imagine he and McCoy will be getting interviewed again next year. With that, I've noticed most good HCs dont avoid hiring guys that might leave but rather encourage their development as it tends to make them better coaches. Also, if a HC gets a rep for being a guy who develops other HCs then some of the best assistants will want to be a part of that. So I wouldn't think the Broncos would avoid Del Rio out of fear he leaves to become a HC again. If he doesn't become the DC, it would be for other reasons (on either side) IMO.

Nolan was a good hire (and was only here for one year)...Would be nice to bring in Del Rio, with a good LB coach (if Smith leaves) to groom as a possible replacement.

Jack "Of the River" would be a significant upgrade over Dennis Allen.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
With the success of Gronkouski, Hernandez and Davis, the big push in the draft this year will be big TE's and teams trying to figure out how to cover them. We can't cover these guys in a zone defense and we need to get ahead of the curve and find bigger defensive backs that can cover or we will continue to get ripped apart.
Lenny Walls was simply ahead of his time.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #38
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Lenny Walls was simply ahead of his time.
Hater!
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #39
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Hater!
I loved Lenny Walls.

When he played for BC.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #40
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
I loved Lenny Walls.

When he played for BC.
We all loved Lenny Walls.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #41
Shananahan

Quote:
Press coverage (needed upgrades at RCB and nickel back), with a cover 1 safety (Moore dependent on development), and a box safety (Carter) to baby sit the TE to accommodate a potentially blitzing LB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
dobviously upgrades in secondary performance will be critical.
This stuff is pretty critical to any sort of success our next DC will have, I think. Talent up the middle of the defense is needed, but our secondary is pure dogschit at the moment, considering Dawkins is probably done and Bailey can only do so much.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #42
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I read somewhere that we shouldn't go after Del Rio because he'd be getting head coaching offers in 2 or 3 years. If that were the case then it would mean he'd done a great job FFS.

The thing that does concern me is that he's already getting paid over a million bucks to sit at home this year and his son is apparently a serious QB (in FL or Cali... I forget). Maybe we need Von Miller to bring JDR to Vegas.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #43
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
what about the former coaches from St. Louis and Miami?
Those guys have been hired.

But we should look at Steve Spaghetti and Nolan Ryan.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #44
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Those guys have been hired.

But we should look at Steve Spaghetti and Nolan Ryan.
We already got rid of our noodle-armed QB.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #45
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I read somewhere that we shouldn't go after Del Rio because he'd be getting head coaching offers in 2 or 3 years. If that were the case then it would mean he'd done a great job FFS.

The thing that does concern me is that he's already getting paid over a million bucks to sit at home this year and his son is apparently a serious QB (in FL or Cali... I forget). Maybe we need Von Miller to bring JDR to Vegas.
The Broncos have a stable, devensive-minded Head Coach in John Fox. The defense improved from worst-in-the-league to 24th. The defense is still crappy, but EFX appears to be hell-bent on adding more defensive talent. The Broncos team overall is improving rapidly, and coming off a playoff win against the formidable Steelers.

There are no remaining HC spots in the NFL. If I was JDR (who got fired from his last HC gig), I would make a bee-line to the airport to sign the papers.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #46
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
If I was JDR (who got fired from his last HC gig), I would make a bee-line to the airport to sign the papers.
Why? He can sit home for a year, enjoy life in FL, watch the kids play sports, and collect $5 mil to do nothing.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #47
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Or get an MLB who can cover and diag a play, having one safety worth a damn would help too.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #48
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Why? He can sit home for a year, enjoy life in FL, watch the kids play sports, and collect $5 mil to do nothing.
Because people forget about you when your not around, no guarantee he could have his pick of gigs next year.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #49
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Because people forget about you when your not around, no guarantee he could have his pick of gigs next year.
Ummm, last time I checked, he doesn't have his pick of gigs THIS year.

(And Gruden and Cowher have been out how long now, and they still are the go to names every year)
Old 01-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #50
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
dick vermiel disagrees
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote