The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default Dear New DC,

Whoever you are,

Please institute this defense at the very least in package looks, but I would prefer it to be the base: create a 43 Double Fan which would obviously be played out of an under front (akin to below only with tighter splits than the 3T DT and 7 DE):

Background:

A double fan classically comes from 34 looks. Essentially it means the DL is going to adjust their splits so they're basically heads up on the opposing IOL (NT over C, DEs over Gs). What makes this a double fan is the pass rushing ability of BOTH 34 OLBs (see Pittsburgh's Harrison and Woodley -- also note the leaps and bounds of improvement of Washington's defense by adding Kerrigan opposite Orakpo and often playing double fans). Both OLBs will them line up over the tackles.
What does this create? One on one match ups across the board. Additionally, blitzing an ILB over the A gaps gives him a STRAIGHT shot at the QB with AT MOST a RB to try and stop him.

Von Miller gives us the freedom to apply this to our 43.

Imagine Elvis, Thomas, Bunkley, Ayers, Miller all one on one against the opposing OL. Getting wood yet? Good, let's go deeper.

Press coverage behind it. Lackluster for turnovers, for sure (at least until the effectiveness starts to embolden to jumping routes and putting 6 on the board with semi-regularity), but provides the rush and blitz another second to get to the QB and will be certain to cause both incompletions and sacks (*probably even more prominently intentional groundings) in spades. Press coverage (needed upgrades at RCB and nickel back), with a cover 1 safety (Moore dependent on development), and a box safety (Carter) to baby sit the TE to accommodate a potentially blitzing LB.

Enough p***Y footing around when we have significant pressure weapons.
Kill em all, let Tebow sort em out.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Roger that...
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post

Roger that...
I'm not going to get my hopes up for Del Rio. I expect the uninspired, Slowik-style hiring of Smith, especially if Allen is sniffing around.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
schaaf

Quote:

Roger that...
Hey Raj, you heard anything about the possibility of Del Rio
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
Hey Raj, you heard anything about the possibility of Del Rio
He was having drinks with Fox in Mobile the day after Allen took the Oakland gig. I'd say he's the likely favorite at this point - especially with Dean Peas taking the Ravens job and Smith looking like he's going to Oakland to be their DC.

My guess is the job is his if he wants it, which isn't a sure thing because he's going to be paid the same amount to sit at home this year if he wants and his kid is a top HS QB recruit. With that, he was in Mobile which is where coaches hunt for jobs so unless he was there to catch up with friends, he'd likely be interested.

The concern I'm sure is the long-term consistency as he already interviewed for KC's HCing job so he wants to move back into that role and you'd have to imagine he and McCoy will be getting interviewed again next year. With that, I've noticed most good HCs dont avoid hiring guys that might leave but rather encourage their development as it tends to make them better coaches. Also, if a HC gets a rep for being a guy who develops other HCs then some of the best assistants will want to be a part of that. So I wouldn't think the Broncos would avoid Del Rio out of fear he leaves to become a HC again. If he doesn't become the DC, it would be for other reasons (on either side) IMO.

There will be other candidates though, Mike Klis pointed out yesterday that Fox had no relationship with Allen prior to hiring him (and if you remember, Jim Mora Jr. was the original 1st choice - a former HC himself) but rather found out about him through a network of friends - in this instance, he called his buddy Sean Payton from their Giants days who gave him a good recommendation. So there is a larger pool since Fox has been around so long and has a lot of friends around the league. You add in Elway's contacts and realistically there's a crap load of guys they could look it, but my first guess would be Del Rio makes a lot of sense.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
There will be other candidates though, Mike Klis pointed out yesterday that Fox had no relationship with Allen prior to hiring him (and if you remember, Jim Mora Jr. was the original 1st choice - a former HC himself) but rather found out about him through a network of friends - in this instance, he called his buddy Sean Payton from their Giants days who gave him a good recommendation. So there is a larger pool since Fox has been around so long and has a lot of friends around the league. You add in Elway's contacts and realistically there's a crap load of guys they could look it, but my first guess would be Del Rio makes a lot of sense.
This is so much more encouraging than when we had that young punk for HC who had no NFL contacts and relied on his agent to recommend his 1st DC and he pulled his second from either HS or College ranks.

This is what hiring an experienced HC gives you, loads of options to go with the experience.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
He was having drinks with Fox in Mobile the day after Allen took the Oakland gig. I'd say he's the likely favorite at this point - especially with Dean Peas taking the Ravens job and Smith looking like he's going to Oakland to be their DC.

My guess is the job is his if he wants it, which isn't a sure thing because he's going to be paid the same amount to sit at home this year if he wants and his kid is a top HS QB recruit. With that, he was in Mobile which is where coaches hunt for jobs so unless he was there to catch up with friends, he'd likely be interested.

The concern I'm sure is the long-term consistency as he already interviewed for KC's HCing job so he wants to move back into that role and you'd have to imagine he and McCoy will be getting interviewed again next year. With that, I've noticed most good HCs dont avoid hiring guys that might leave but rather encourage their development as it tends to make them better coaches. Also, if a HC gets a rep for being a guy who develops other HCs then some of the best assistants will want to be a part of that. So I wouldn't think the Broncos would avoid Del Rio out of fear he leaves to become a HC again. If he doesn't become the DC, it would be for other reasons (on either side) IMO.

Nolan was a good hire (and was only here for one year)...Would be nice to bring in Del Rio, with a good LB coach (if Smith leaves) to groom as a possible replacement.

Jack "Of the River" would be a significant upgrade over Dennis Allen.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:

Excellent point.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Butterscotch Stallion

I prefer the 3-8 we ran against NE.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch Stallion View Post
don't forget the 10-yard cushions. those are really effective at letting a receiver get up to speed unmolested so they can make a move and juke out our young secondary players. i just l-o-v-e those 10-yard cushions. they remind me of the Slowick era... good times.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
teknic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
don't forget the 10-yard cushions. those are really effective at letting a receiver get up to speed unmolested so they can make a move and juke out our young secondary players. i just l-o-v-e those 10-yard cushions. they remind me of the Slowick era... good times.
This. I also blame the huge cushions for the tendency of the Broncos defense to get shredded by screens.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic View Post
This. I also blame the huge cushions for the tendency of the Broncos defense to get shredded by screens.
I like to think that our coaches were a bunch of pussies...if you're going to lose, at least go down swinging! The run, run, run offense and 3 rush D at times was pure chicken ****!!

Any chance we get Mathis?? That'd be a nice vet opposite Champ. Despite what others think, we have youth all over our secondary. Harris imppressed. Carter looked good for a rookie. Moore was banged up all year..he didn't impress me much but again, he was a rookie. I expect much bigger things from him next year after learning on the run. We still have Squid and Vaughn. I see us going for a vet CB via free agency. Draft a DT or MLB with the first couple of picks. I see us being a little more aggressive in FA this year. Hopefully Warren can come back healthy and back to form. Re-sign Bunkley. Sign Kampman and Mathis through FA. Pick up a change of pace RB while adding a receiving TE or another WR.

For the base D i'd like it to look something like this:

DE - Doom
DT - Warren
DT - Bunk
DE - Ayers/Kampman

WLB - DJ
MLB - Connor?? Rookie??
SLB - Miller

CB - Champ
FS - Carter
SS - Moore
CB - Mathis
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch Stallion View Post
Or the Ray Rhodes 2-9....
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Or the Ray Rhodes 2-9....
With 220 lb Ian Gold being one of the "2".
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
With 220 lb Ian Gold being one of the "2".
Mind=Blown!

Of course, not having any talent on the DL....

damn - just typing that made me realize how ****ty the DL has been....for that long.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #16
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I dont think we'll be able to get an elephant in that new Nike gear. Would a baby one do
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

A little OT, but you made me wonder. Have any names even been mentioned for d-coordinator yet? I just realized I haven't seen anything about us looking at guys. Is that a sign we are just promoting from within?

Also, more on topic, how much of the defense was Allen? Did our scheme look a lot different than what Fox had in Carolina or will we see something new with each new coordinator? I didn't watch the Panthers much.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
A little OT, but you made me wonder. Have any names even been mentioned for d-coordinator yet? I just realized I haven't seen anything about us looking at guys. Is that a sign we are just promoting from within?

Also, more on topic, how much of the defense was Allen? Did our scheme look a lot different than what Fox had in Carolina or will we see something new with each new coordinator? I didn't watch the Panthers much.
I know.. I was a little surprised to hear John Fox say he was in no rush to name a DC.

To me that sounds like the Broncos have someone on staff they are promoting.

I also wonder if Dennis Allen is going to bring any of the other coaches from the Broncos to Oakland.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #19
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBen View Post
I know.. I was a little surprised to hear John Fox say he was in no rush to name a DC.

To me that sounds like the Broncos have someone on staff they are promoting.

I also wonder if Dennis Allen is going to bring any of the other coaches from the Broncos to Oakland.
They could take Tuten for Strength & conditioning....

Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #20
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post

Hopefully they are taking a hard look at Spags or Nolan.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #22
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Both have jobs already.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I'm going to kill you.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #24
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'm going to kill you.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #25
bowtown