Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #70
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'm very well aware of that, but there are a lot of ways to get around that. Motioning receivers and and good use of the slot position allows teams to still use timing patterns against press coverage.
That's not true at all...

Quote:
Screen passes also seem like they would likely be very successful against such a defense with such aggressive pass rushing and a lot of man coverage.
Yes.

Quote:
What assumption? Bailey is a coverage corner, not a press guy (he's fine at it, but it's not exactly his strength), and Goodman is a joke in press coverage (he's a joke in general). Harris might be a good press corner, I don't know, but it seems to me that we would need to commit to drafting press corners exclusively if this was the way we wanted to go. We'd also need to seriously upgrade our safety coverage and MLB coverage, as all those guys would be put under a lot of pressure in the passing game in a defense that functionally amounts to a blitz on every down.

I'm not saying I don't like the package mind you. I really do actually. I just think it's too easy to exploit a defense like that if we are using it as our base set.
Bailey was a predominantly a press corner for the first half of his career. Goodman IS a joke in general. Harris played a lot of press snaps this past year and Vaughn was a man-cover corner.

Also C1 would be asking our safeties to do what they did most of the season, so no point there either.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote